Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau?? Private tour company?

SheriNtexas

Can anyone recommend a great tour company in Juneau that can take us to see the Mendenhall Glacier? We have been looking at excursions on the Princess board, but we are doing a private company in Skagway for our excursion so thought we might in Juneau as well...everything i've read says Mendenhall Glacier is THE thing to see in Juneau...anything else that is a must not miss there? Thanks so much for any information you can give!

Well there are several options. There are some very nice, TOUR buses that include Mendenhall Glacier as one of several stops. Fully narrated, usually includes Chapel on the Lake stop, Douglas Island photo stop of your ship. Cheap and a couple hours.

There are also SHUTTLE buses, these just run back and forth to Mendenhall Glacier. There is a small added charge to access the visitor center- some tour buses include it.

There are several trails about the grounds area, with many people being most interested in the Nugget Falls trail, which gets you the closest viewing. Takes about an hour.

With shuttle buses you stay as long as you wish.

Third option is to get a rental car- only one company is available that is downtown. Easy to drive around Juneau, and plenty of places of interest to consider.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/districts/mendenhall/

Don't know what "private" in Skagway you are going, but IMHO in Juneau Mendenhall is so easy with the blue bus. Once you get there you are free to hike, visit the vistor center, look for bears, enjoy the scenery. I think a private car/guide is like asking for one at the Grand Canyon or Yosemite.

What else to do? I'd highly recommend you consider a combo whalewatch that includes a stop at Mendenhall. That was the perfect 1/2 day excursion for us.

Can anyone recommend a great tour company in Juneau that can take us to see the Mendenhall Glacier? We have been looking at excursions on the Princess board, but we are doing a private company in Skagway for our excursion so thought we might in Juneau as well...everything i've read says Mendenhall Glacier is THE thing to see in Juneau...anything else that is a must not miss there? Thanks so much for any information you can give!

1899165283_450ScanningforWhaleSpouts.jpg.392eed559be71c1eecd6462f5ce1c5cd.jpg

49601919_465Whaleat1oclock.jpg.f3cdf679db1974ce79b899334e47962e.jpg

490794_475WhaleWatching.jpg.f524380c440b29b290dad743d029e44d.jpg

569569762_515MendenhallGlacier.jpg.758ca3b9c1ffa74cbc1e5ad467025c60.jpg

2108518055_534MendenhallFalls.jpg.c51e16628c498a211784dc202de1ee29.jpg

thanks for the info and links! I HATE going to new places and not knowing the area....i like to know an area! Ask me about Cozumel....i know that place...been there 10 times!:D i just don't want to waste any time while in the ports...trying to make the best use of our time in each place....thanks again!!!

Don't know what "private" in Skagway you are going, but IMHO in Juneau Mendenhall is so easy with the blue bus. Once you get there you are free to hike, visit the vistor center, look for bears, enjoy the scenery. I think a private car/guide is like asking for one at the Grand Canyon or Yosemite.

What else to do? I'd highly recommend you consider a combo whalewatch that includes a stop at Mendenhall. That was the perfect 1/2 day excursion for us.

thanks for the pictures! In Skagway we are thinking of using Chiltook Charters....ok..you mentioned the Grand Canyon...i've been there and i understand what you are saying...you don't need a guide at the Grand Canyon....so we can just get off the ship and take a bus to Mendenhall and then have lots of options on what to do, right? sounds like a blast!! We are also thinking of doing a whalewatching tour as well....princess has one that includes the mendenhall glacier as well...

thanks for the pictures! In Skagway we are thinking of using Chiltook Charters....ok..you mentioned the Grand Canyon...i've been there and i understand what you are saying...you don't need a guide at the Grand Canyon....so we can just get off the ship and take a bus to Mendenhall and then have lots of options on what to do, right? sounds like a blast!! We are also thinking of doing a whalewatching tour as well....princess has one that includes the mendenhall glacier as well...

Sorry, if you go to Mendenhall independent, you are FAR better off going independent with a whale watch vendor and cobook a pick up/drop off. Otherwise, you are adding a wasted hour in transit time.

The fixed limited time with your Princess combo reference, doesn't allow for your "lots' of options on what to do" comment.

Sorry, if you go to Mendenhall independent, you are FAR better off going independent with a whale watch vendor and cobook a pick up/drop off. Otherwise, you are adding a wasted hour in transit time.

The fixed limited time with your Princess combo reference, doesn't allow for your "lots' of options on what to do" comment.

so if we decide NOT to do whale watching, then we are better off just getting to the Mendenhall Glacier Park and once there we will have choices of things to do while there...but if we decide to do whale watching, we wouldn't have time to do both, right? sorry if i sound so confused...i AM!!:o:rolleyes:

so if we decide NOT to do whale watching, then we are better off just getting to the Mendenhall Glacier Park and once there we will have choices of things to do while there...but if we decide to do whale watching, we wouldn't have time to do both, right? sorry if i sound so confused...i AM!!:o:rolleyes:

IF you stay with a Cruiseline shore excursion, like those you list above, correct.

BUT, I detail going INDEPENDENT with a combo booked whale watch tour and Mendenhall Pickup/drop off. Then using the shuttle bus in the other direction. You then have all the time you want at Mendenhall.

IF you stay with a Cruiseline shore excursion, like those you list above, correct.

BUT, I detail going INDEPENDENT with a combo booked whale watch tour and Mendenhall Pickup/drop off. Then using the shuttle bus in the other direction. You then have all the time you want at Mendenhall.

I've been looking at other threads and someone was talking about Harv and Marv tours....we could do whale watching and then they would drop us off at Mendenhall and then we could take the blue bus back....

i'm getting more excited the more i read....this is so totally different from planning a caribbean cruise....:D

We're first time to Alaska ourselves on a cruise ship in September. I called Orca to reserve their whale trip and she asked if I was planning anything else in that town. I told her I'd like to do Mendenhall and she said to come by there first a couple hours before the whale tour starts and they would arrange for us to get to the glacier (either by them or the blue bus) and then pick us up from the glacier and it was save us at least 45 minutes on a bus. Check your time in port if it's longer than say 5 or 6 hours it seems like you should have plenty of time to do both.

yep, the big blue bus ,that costs $14 bucks roundtrip ( as of last year ) is the way i go too mendanhall. it takes about a 1/2 hr ride each way and you can stay as long as you like. it picks up passengers at the end of the dock past security. the correct currency is prefered by the driver.

I am looking into booking Harv and Marv's whale watching tour and having them drop us off at Mendenhall glacier. The only problem is, they are telling me that the last shuttle leaves the glacier at 7 pm, which only would allow us an extra 15 minutes of time at the glacier than what they allow us for pictures based on the time our whale watching tour starts....maybe not worth the $7 shuttle fare back to the ship.

If we wanted to stay longer, are there other means of public transportation back to the ship, taxis, etc? or are the shuttles the only other way of getting back to the ship?

I am looking into booking Harv and Marv's whale watching tour and having them drop us off at Mendenhall glacier. The only problem is, they are telling me that the last shuttle leaves the glacier at 7 pm, which only would allow us an extra 15 minutes of time at the glacier than what they allow us for pictures based on the time our whale watching tour starts....maybe not worth the $7 shuttle fare back to the ship.

If we wanted to stay longer, are there other means of public transportation back to the ship, taxis, etc? or are the shuttles the only other way of getting back to the ship?

You would need to call a taxi. At least $25++++

Why not see about a pick up at Mendenhall PRIOR to a whale watch? Or just take a cab direct to Auke Bay, which is a lot closer than downtown?

Well, the Sapphire Princess is in port starting at 2 pm, and the whale watching begins at 3:30, is that enough time?

Probably not. You would have to fit perfectly, time wise, with a shuttle bus, immediately after your arrival, or pay for a cab. You still are not likely to get there much before 2:30pm, unless you get lucky. Then your whale watch would probably have a pick up time of 3:45p with actual pick up closer to 4pm.

You have some decisions to make- IF Your ship is in port and clears on time, and you sprint to the shuttle ticket booths and get on the next shuttle bus, this would be ideal with your limited time.

I've been looking at other threads and someone was talking about Harv and Marv tours....we could do whale watching and then they would drop us off at Mendenhall and then we could take the blue bus back....

Yes, that is possible. There were even reports of Harv & Marvs coming back to pick you up. I like Harv & Marvs for the small boats, longer tours than most other independent operators and no extra charge for the Mendenhall drop off (though their tour price is slightly higher than some other independents, it is more than offset by the longer tour and no extra charge for Mendenhall).

Dear dustyroad, about the blue shuttle bus . . . the site says it does not start to run until 9AM. We dock at 7AM and the visitors center at the glacier opens at 8AM. Have you ever been able to take the shuttle before 9AM?

Dear dustyroad, about the blue shuttle bus . . . the site says it does not start to run until 9AM. We dock at 7AM and the visitors center at the glacier opens at 8AM. Have you ever been able to take the shuttle before 9AM?

The business hours are stated??? Why not call them direct and inquire, if they start earlier?

Another option is the Gold Creek Salmon Bake excursion. It takes you to a fish hatchery with a fish ladder and museum, then off to Mendenhal Glacier and they give you time to walk around and explore and visit the visitors center. Then they pick you up and take you to the Salmon Bake. You can return to the ship on any bus from the bake.

It's also affordable.

sorry it took me so long too get back too you. no i havent been able too get on the bus untill the hours they have on their site. i use the first 2 hrs we are in port too wander around in the shops and then i catch it out there. it sure is a great bargain for the way out there. have a great time.

If you're not planning a whale trip, and are spending more time in Juneau - - the Shrine of St. Therese is AMAZING! I haven't seen any public transportation that goes out to it. You'd probably have to rent a car - the cab fare would kill you.

We're going in September. I used to live in Juneau. This will be the first time back since I left 20 years ago! We are booking a car so I can take my gang to the standard places - Mendenhall, downtown, etc., but also so we can get out to the Shrine! I have heard there is a garden just past the Shrine - it wasn't there when I lived there - so I plan to check that out too - time permitting.

I reserved at Rent-A-Wreck - because they are the only one that is downtown by the cruise ship terminal. The others are at the airport.

There is a lot to do in Juneau - not necessarily at the Glacier. The Glacier sits back a bit - not near anything - but itself. While there - you can do some hiking, and viewing and check out the visitors center. But other than the glacier - that is it, it's not near enough to anything to walk to. The Cruise Ships dock downtown and the downtown area is fun to walk around, if you like to check out old grave yards - there is one near by, lots of shopping, food and such. So you could do that - and the glacier easy enough using the blue bus or whatever.

I have just booked the bus and I was sent an email saying that the last bus leaves the Glacier at 6pm so check it out first. The timing may not be right for you to do both. We are doing the Glacier and then the Salmon Bake and booked both through the same company.

Archived