Nov 1st and Nov 6th

artlee

We are looking at back to back. The first one is "only" 5 nights with the second being 7. Totally decadent. I was a little surprised the discount was only 10% on the second. Has anyone had experience with BTB's? this would be our second SD experience. The first on SD2 and this one would be SD1.

We are booked on a back to back voyage on Seadream I this summer. This will be our first back to back on any cruiseline. We got the same discount you did - 10% on the second voyage only. Like you, we were also surprised at the small discount. We have seen offers on other luxury cruise lines for significant discounts on the second voyage.

We've done several B2B on SD -- while it's wonderful to know you have that much time on the ship (and you don't have to do the lifeboat drill the second time :)), I think you will find that the dynamics change considerably from one cruise to the next. Not that that is bad -- just different. We've been on cruises where the first segment was fabulous -- passenger mix great, etc. -- and the second segment seemed not as much fun. Guess we missed all our new friends from the first segment! In addition, you will have a much different mix on a 5 day than you will on a 7 or 9 day. Still, if you are flexible and can go with the flow, you'll find things you like on both segments. And, after all, you ARE on Sea Dream!!

Vandrefalk

interesting, how was the mix different on the five day?

Our one experience with a 5 day voyage on SD was Dec. 2009 -- we had a number of fellow passengers that brought the average age down substantially and kept the bars open all night - and I mean all night. It put a bit of stress on the staff (none complained, but you could see the circles under the eyes). Most of the guests were quite fun but a few were quite rowdy and had to be taken in hand by the Hotel Manager.

We did a BtB in the Med this May and loved it -one advantage to us was that repeating several islands allowed us to take multiple excursions. But Vanderfalk is right - passenger mix can shift dramatically - we were lucky to have a wonderful mix both segments even though the tone was different and menus varied somewhat (so weight gain was quite inevitable!).

SD's bookings are doing very well - keep an eye though on shoulder season, rates might decrease if a particular voyage has a low occupancy rate and paying change fee will often save you $$$. We've done that a couple of times.

Have fun. We are in SD withdrawal -- calendars and itineraries just didn't work this summer, so we won't be on SD until Christmas (unless we win PowerBall or MegaMillions:rolleyes:)

FT

On a 5-day, the passengers tend to be younger -- and those either trying their first cruise or first SD cruise. Five days is short enough that you get a different group than you will on a 7 day or longer. We've done a 9 day and 5 day a couple of times and two 7 day b2b in the Med. The 7 days were a bit more "stable" in terms of mix, but, as FT says, the tone was a bit different.

Vandrefalk

We are looking at doing a B2B but Nov 6 & 13. This allows us to experience most of the eastern Caribbean islands. This will be our second booking on SDYC, the first was on Seadream II (14 days in 2007).

Looking forward to getting back on board.

Paul

It seems there are precious few flights going out of Antigua. There is a safe connection leaving around 4 that gets me home to Charlotte at midnight. With having to go back to work after 12 nights on SD that seems cruel and unusual punishment to get in so late after such a great vacation and go right to work. There is an option leaving Antigua at 10:10. SD docks at 7. I think I'll take a chance and book that because it gets me home at 4:30. Anyone have any experience with early flights after docking? Am I pushing it?

thanks

• 4 months later...

Archived