Please help us with our Australia itinerary!

Gordo

We are looking to visit Australia for the first time later this year and need some help in trying to decide which Royal Caribbean itinerary to choose.

We are huge water babies and really love spending as much time in the water as possible. Snorkeling to check out the amazing underwater world is our favorite part of the adventure. We have also dreamed about visiting the Great Barrier Reef and are so excited that our dream is finally becoming a reality.

Knowing this about us, we are trying to decide between the two itineraries and would love some advice on both options.

Option 1 is an 11-night Queensland cruise which includes Newcastle, Cairns overnight, Willis Island (sailing), Airlie Beach, and Brisbane - we would also spend a few nights in Sydney pre-cruise.

Option 2 is a 9-night South Pacific cruise which includes Noumea, New Caledonia; Ouvea, Loyalty Island; Mystery Island, Vanuatu; and Isles of Pines, New Caledonia - we would also plan for a pre- or post-cruise stay at the Great Barrier Reef with this option.

Rhapsody of the Seas is the ship for both options, so that is not a part of the equation.

We would be greatly appreciate your advice, including any tour information at these ports as well - thanks for your assistance!

Gordo,

I would do Option 2 as this would give you more time to spend in the water as the ports on that itinerary are all islands.

Whereas with the first itinerary Cairns and Airlie Beach are the only two places for swimming.

As you are going to return to Cairns after Option 1 then that is a great cruise to see two other different cultures - New Caledonia and Vanuatu.

Neither itinerary gives you a really good insight into Australia or New Zealand. If you really want to see our country, I would choose an itinerary that visits other cities such as Hobart and Melbourne as well as New Zealand.

Jennie

Gordo, I would do Option 2 as this would give you more time to spend in the water as the ports on that itinerary are all islands.

Whereas with the first itinerary Cairns and Airlie Beach are the only two places for swimming.

As you are going to return to Cairns after Option 1 then that is a great cruise to see two other different cultures - New Caledonia and Vanuatu.

Neither itinerary gives you a really good insight into Australia or New Zealand. If you really want to see our country, I would choose an itinerary that visits other cities such as Hobart and Melbourne as well as New Zealand.

Jennie

Jennie - thanks for the information. We understand that we are only getting a small glimpse into this amazing part of the world. A return trip to New Zealand is a must-do for us in the future (and friends have told us that we should plan a land-based trip for our visit).

We were lucky to visit French Polynesia last year, which was absolutely amazing, and loved Moorea, Bora Bora, Rangiroa and Tikehau. Can you tell us how New Caledonia and Vanatu compares?

And if we choose the second option, what recommendation would you have for visiting the Great Barrier Reef?

Thanks - Kimberly

Gordo,

You will find both New Caledonia and Vanuatu completely different from Tahiti and the Cook Islands. Tahiti has so much natural beauty and to my mind it is "Paradise".

New Caledonia is also French and to my mind Noumea, the capital is a nicer town than Papeete. The beaches are not as good, though I believe Ilse de Pine is lovely if you can get away from where you dock. There is a resort there that has a lovely beach.

Vanuatu is also different again. That was taken over by both the French and English and for quite a while it was run by both countries together, so there is some of the French influence left with some reasonable restaurants in Vila. The beaches are not special on the main island though we had a lovely day at the Irriki resort when we called in there back in 2007. We had been to Vila twice before, the first time by ship back in 1982 and the second time we were at a resort for 10 days in the 1990's.

We have also called in at Ouvea in 2007, which had a lovely beach and we went swimming there.

What month are you considering doing the cruise? Cairns is a great place to visit the Outer Reef but of course in the wet season which is from November to April, the weather can be very unsettled. This year particularly has been extremely wet and we have had couple of cyclones in that area. The best time to visit is May to October. You can be lucky and have fine weather in the rainy season and then you will have a marvellous experience out at the reef but if the weather is wet and windy then water becomes choppy and that will affect your viewing of the reef.

We also have stingers in the water from the Whitsundays right up to the top of Australia between October and May and it is advisable to wear a special suit if you are out in the water. I am not sure if this applies to the outer reef but it certainly affects the inner reef.

The best trips to the Reef are from Port Douglas which is about 40 minutes by car from Cairns. There are also some interesting spots to see around Cairns in the hinterland and a trip to the Daintree Forest and Mossman Gorge is a must when up in that part of the world.

http://www.cairnsattractions.com.au/cairns.php

Hope this helps a little.

Jennie

Jennie - thanks for the information. We understand that we are only getting a small glimpse into this amazing part of the world. A return trip to New Zealand is a must-do for us in the future (and friends have told us that we should plan a land-based trip for our visit).

We were lucky to visit French Polynesia last year, which was absolutely amazing, and loved Moorea, Bora Bora, Rangiroa and Tikehau. Can you tell us how New Caledonia and Vanatu compares?

And if we choose the second option, what recommendation would you have for visiting the Great Barrier Reef?

Thanks - Kimberly

Hi,

Just a thought for visiting the Great Barrier Reef, I have found the best way is to do a liveaboard trip out of Cairns. Day trips can be expensive if you want to spend multiple days at the outer reef. With a liveaboard you get spend the night/s at the reef also. My favourite boat is the 'Reef Encounter Floating Hotel' on which you can spend as many nights as you like out there. It has a very friendly atmosphere and is a lot of fun! I do not dive but do alot of snorkelling and have found this trip to be excellent value.

Jennie - Thanks for all the information - it does sound like we will get a lot more opportunities for time in the water with this option. We are looking to visit in November with Option 1 starting on the 13th and Option 2 starting on the 27th (but we are thinking we would head to GBR pre-cruise).

kiwiatchch - we had read about the Reef Encounter option and really appreciate the positive feedback. The liveabord sounds exactly like our cup of tea. Which option with Reef Encounter would you recommend?

Thanks again for all your help.

Jennie - Thanks for all the information - it does sound like we will get a lot more opportunities for time in the water with this option. We are looking to visit in November with Option 1 starting on the 13th and Option 2 starting on the 27th (but we are thinking we would head to GBR pre-cruise).

kiwiatchch - we had read about the Reef Encounter option and really appreciate the positive feedback. The liveabord sounds exactly like our cup of tea. Which option with Reef Encounter would you recommend?

Thanks again for all your help.

Hi Gordo

I assume with the option on the Reef Encounter you are refering to the Top Deck option as opposed to a standard room? I have never done the Top Deck option and from memory there is only one top deck cabin which is as the name suggests right up the top on the sun deck. There are about 20 standard rooms on board. When I have done the trip the Top Deck passengers were very separate from the rest of us as they had meals up there etc. I prefer to mix in with the other passengers so unless you are looking for luxury and privacy I would go for the standard package. Also if there is going to be a bit of motion you will feel it more up there!

I have done the trip in both April and July and the weather has been good both times. The sea can get quite rough getting out there but once there the Reef Encounter can shelter behind the reef so it only gets a little motion either hour of high tide.

To get out there they use their boat the 'Compass' which takes day trippers out to the reef. You are dropped off first and then they come back and pick you up late afternoon on your day of departure. Generally on the way back they stop off for a snorkel at a turtle bomby and you get to try boom netting off the back of the boat if you dare!

There is the option to helicopter out there which I would imagine would be awesome as even the flight into Cairns is spectacular if you get to fly over the many reefs.

Hope this helps and have a great trip!

Hi Gordo

I assume with the option on the Reef Encounter you are refering to the Top Deck option as opposed to a standard room? I have never done the Top Deck option and from memory there is only one top deck cabin which is as the name suggests right up the top on the sun deck. There are about 20 standard rooms on board. When I have done the trip the Top Deck passengers were very separate from the rest of us as they had meals up there etc. I prefer to mix in with the other passengers so unless you are looking for luxury and privacy I would go for the standard package. Also if there is going to be a bit of motion you will feel it more up there!

I have done the trip in both April and July and the weather has been good both times. The sea can get quite rough getting out there but once there the Reef Encounter can shelter behind the reef so it only gets a little motion either hour of high tide.

To get out there they use their boat the 'Compass' which takes day trippers out to the reef. You are dropped off first and then they come back and pick you up late afternoon on your day of departure. Generally on the way back they stop off for a snorkel at a turtle bomby and you get to try boom netting off the back of the boat if you dare!

There is the option to helicopter out there which I would imagine would be awesome as even the flight into Cairns is spectacular if you get to fly over the many reefs.

Hope this helps and have a great trip!

Thank you so much - this is exactly the explanation we needed.

The standard room option sounds great to us. Now we just have to figure out what boom netting is. :D

Any feedback on Jetstar vs Virgin Blue for our roundtrip from Sydney?

Thanks again for all the help.

Gordo,

The boom netting is usually at the back of the boat (I have never seen it anywhere else but I could be mistaken) and you can sit in it as the ship moves along.

As far as using Jetstar or Virgin Blue we use both and have always had good flights. Our flight home from Fiji a couple of weeks ago was with Virgin Blue's offsider Pacific Blue and that was 2 hours late due to computer troubles which I am glad that they spent time fixing! We have flown many times with Virgin Blue from Melb to Hobart, to Launceston, to Adelaide and we are using them to fly to Darwin in July and Adelaide in November this year.

We have flown with Jetstar to Queensland, back from Honoluu, between Singapore and Cambodia return and we are using them again in May for our flight home from Honolulu. They are are the economy airline of Qantas.

Both charge for food and drink and there isn't much room between the seats but other than that the attendants are pleasant and as long as the flight crew know what they are doing and the plane is in good order then I am happy.

I would go for the cheapest flight and the time that suits you best.

Jennie

Thank you so much - this is exactly the explanation we needed.

The standard room option sounds great to us. Now we just have to figure out what boom netting is. :D

Any feedback on Jetstar vs Virgin Blue for our roundtrip from Sydney?

Thanks again for all the help.

Hi Gordo

Yes, boom netting is where they tie a large rope net onto the back of the boat and you hold on and ride along just above the wake of the boat until you fall off. They have a little tender following behind to pick people up as they fall. Great fun.

I agree with the Jennie that there is not alot of difference between Virgin Blue and Jetstar, I have flown on a number of occasions with both of them within Australia and Internationally. I have a trip booked next week between Christchurch and Thailand with Jetstar just because the price and time suited me best.

Agreed that there's not much difference between Virgin Blue and Jet*. There's a tiny preference for Virgin Blue for those who regularly fly, but for a single flight you're unlikely to notice/be affected by the differences - I'd suggest just going with whoever is cheaper and suits better.

I just booked Jet Star for our roundtrip to Cairns the price was a little better but it was the time frame that was the best.

It can get you back to Sydney and still have some of the day without leaving at the crack of dawn. We are doing a GBR post cruise in Dec.

Thanks for the feedback on the two airlines. It is good to know that we have the flexibility of both options.

We have decided to go with option 2, which is the 9-night South Pacific cruise (Noumea, New Caledonia; Ouvea, Loyalty Island; Mystery Island, Vanuatu; and Isles of Pines, New Caledonia) and need to investigate the port options.

We also need to select our pre-cruise stay at the Great Barrier Reef. We love the Reef Encounter concept, but some of the reviews have been mixed so we want to research some other options.

Thanks again. We appreciate all the great advice.

Thanks for the feedback on the two airlines. It is good to know that we have the flexibility of both options.

We have decided to go with option 2, which is the 9-night South Pacific cruise (Noumea, New Caledonia; Ouvea, Loyalty Island; Mystery Island, Vanuatu; and Isles of Pines, New Caledonia) and need to investigate the port options.

We also need to select our pre-cruise stay at the Great Barrier Reef. We love the Reef Encounter concept, but some of the reviews have been mixed so we want to research some other options.

Thanks again. We appreciate all the great advice.

Hi Gordo

Glad to help, if you need any more information don't hesitate to ask!

Hope you have a great trip and hope you get to NZ in a future trip. We could certainly do with some visitors coming back to Christchurch.:)

Jennie - thanks for the information. We understand that we are only getting a small glimpse into this amazr4ing part of the world. A return trip to New Zealand is a must-do for us in the future (and friends have told us that we should plan a land-based trip for our visit).

Thanks - Kimberly

That sounds good, but it is a little difficult to do it. I have similar experience.

Archived