Alaska Railroad or Kenai Fjords Catamaran tour

fernem

Hi.

I need advice. I am traveling with seven family members for my mother's 86th birthday trip from Seward to Vancouver. We have limited funds with so many of us going (I am paying for my two adult kids, for example.) So ... we can forego the fabulous Kenai Fjords catamaran ... which we would have to take at noon to five, thereby cutting into shipboard time for settling in and taking care of business. If we do that, we would treat ourselves to the Alaska Railroad, maybe gold star car with all the glass and the great observation deck. That's pricey but is a a four plus hour train ride through magnificent country.

Or, we could forego the train, get a ride in a van or bus, and take the catamaran because it's gorgeous and just get on the ship on the late side.(It leaves at nine pm.)

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Fern

Hi.

I need advice. I am traveling with seven family members for my mother's 86th birthday trip from Seward to Vancouver. We have limited funds with so many of us going (I am paying for my two adult kids, for example.) So ... we can forego the fabulous Kenai Fjords catamaran ... which we would have to take at noon to five, thereby cutting into shipboard time for settling in and taking care of business. If we do that, we would treat ourselves to the Alaska Railroad, maybe gold star car with all the glass and the great observation deck. That's pricey but is a a four plus hour train ride through magnificent country.

Or, we could forego the train, get a ride in a van or bus, and take the catamaran because it's gorgeous and just get on the ship on the late side.(It leaves at nine pm.)

Thanks.

Fern

This is just personal opinion but I took the train from Anchorage to Denali and would never do a train trip anywhere in Alaska again. The views were great, the train was clean and comfortable, the food was pretty good and I hated the trip. The reason was that you can't stop a train to look at sights when you want to. You also can't stop a train if wildlife appears or if you want to take photographs. With 7 people, you could hire a van for your group and have it stop anywhere you want to.

If it were me, I would do the boat trip.

You obviously do need to consider the needs of your 86 year old mother, however.

DON

Hi.

Thanks.

Fern

What about purchasing a few coupon books and get the discounts on the RR and a Kenai Fjords boat tour?? Depends when you are going? BUT, I since you are asking a public board an option, I don't see some of your points.

Gold Star is probably very very nice, but you aren't in a box car, on bales of hay :) with the regular service, and you do state the money issue?? That would not be my suggestion.

IF you can get a cheap transfer to Seward- and do a boat tour- think about it. It certainly is more for the money and your time. The scenery from a Kenai Fjords boat tour is superb- wildlife, glaciers. FAR superior to anything seen from your cruise ship.

we can forego the fabulous Kenai Fjords catamaran ... which we would have to take at noon to five, thereby cutting into shipboard time for settling in and taking care of business...Or, we could forego the train, get a ride in a van or bus, and take the catamaran because it's gorgeous and just get on the ship on the late side.(It leaves at nine pm.)

1) not sure of what "business" that has to be taken care of on the ship the first day. It would not be my choice to board very early

2) I would not be taking a 5 hour boat tour from Seward when the longer tours are offered. Six hours or longer are the ones that get out of the bay. 11.30 to 5.30pm tours would be ideal for you.

3) how many are in the group? Maybe you could get some sort of charter shuttle from Anchorage for a decent price. Or a one-way van rental with Hertz. Think creatively :)

I would definitely recommend the 6 hour Kenai Fjords cat trip. We have taken that and loved it. However, you need to consider that it can be rough. Would your mother be able to handle that? There are booths with nice views through the large windows but going outside on the deck can be quite a challange if the seas are rough. My DH grabbed a lady who almost went overboard because the boat listed suddenly throwing her off balance.

Archived