Mystery Dinner

ChCo38

We did the Mystery Dinner on the Explorer of the Seas in March and we have a great time. The players were wonderful and stayed in character the entire time - they were really funny. The meal was great too and the wine was flowing; well worth the money in my opinion.

I just got off a 12-day cruise on the Mariner and they did have it. But it is only offered once. The cost was $49.50, and I had a really nice time.

So if I've got this straight ,you pay a $25 premium for the show and the wine over the

regular Portofino fee? And is the wine "flowing" or do you get a glass or two?

We will be on the Mariner in July on an 11 day. Did this take pace on a port day? Which day?

thanx

The Mystery Dinner starts out with a pre-show in the main Viking Crown lounge wherein you get canapes and champagne (as many glasses as you care to suck down (and not the nasty sweet stuff)). Then you relocate to Portofino where you are given a subset of the standard menu to choose from and as much wine as you can suck down.

The image below is from my Explorer cruise a couple years ago. The shows/plots change, but the meal has been the same options every time I've gone:

mystery.jpg

I don't mean to be a "downer" to the Mystery Cruise, but if you are even the least bit hard of hearing, you can't hear the actors! Once we got to Portofino's I could not hear a single word......

I actually left early.....

Barb

3 of us did the Mystery dinner a few years back in the Med on Brilliance OFS. In our opinion, it was a total waste of time. We waited over an hour for our food and it was cold. The play was very predictable and not very enjoyable. The highlight of the evening was when they gave you cards to guess who the murderer was and my daughter wrote down "This is lame". The actors came back in and asked where Chelsea was and she raised her hand. They then brought her up to the group and read her "who dunnit" card. Everyone laughed and it kind of made the night.

As far as I'm concerned, it was a waste of money and I would never do it again.

So if I've got this straight ,you pay a $25 premium for the show and the wine over the

regular Portofino fee? And is the wine "flowing" or do you get a glass or two?

We will be on the Mariner in July on an 11 day. Did this take pace on a port day? Which day?

thanx

It took place on a sea day - I believe it was day 7 of my 12 day cruise, but on RCI's site, it was listed as day 10 - I assume it was changed when we were onboard. You get as much wine as you want - and I thought it was pretty good wine too. Yes, you pay $25 over the regular portofino fee. If you drink three glasses of champagne or wine, you have already paid for it. LOL The whole play is cheesy, but it is supposed to be - the actors really camp it up. I found it to be an enjoyable evening, overall.

Has anyone done this recently on the Freedom.

We actually did the Mystery dinner on FOS this month! To break up the MDR experience, we booked the 1st night of the 2nd leg of our B2B. I wondered if this would be very well attended since it is 1st night, but it looked close to sold out. We started out in the Olive or Twist lounge, with drinks & hors d'oeuvres. I thought they were a bit stingy with both, and if there is one area of RCCL’s food service that could really use some improvement, it would be the hors d'oeuvres. Really soggy and flavorless. We moved on to Portofino’s after the story was set up, and the evening definitely took a turn for the better. Really good food, and the wine flowed very freely. Service was excellent, and very unobtrusive. Of course it was campy. It's suppose to be!

We actually did the Mystery dinner on FOS this month! To break up the MDR experience, we booked the 1st night of the 2nd leg of our B2B. I wondered if this would be very well attended since it is 1st night, but it looked close to sold out. We started out in the Olive or Twist lounge, with drinks & hors d'oeuvres. I thought they were a bit stingy with both, and if there is one area of RCCL’s food service that could really use some improvement, it would be the hors d'oeuvres. Really soggy and flavorless. We moved on to Portofino’s after the story was set up, and the evening definitely took a turn for the better. Really good food, and the wine flowed very freely. Service was excellent, and very unobtrusive. Of course it was campy. It's suppose to be!

Actually we are Planning on doing it the 2nd leg of our B2B. Was it hard to hear the interaction of the characters in the Lounge or dining room?

Has anyone done the Mystery Dinner on Radiance of the Seas? We have done a Mystery Dinner on a train and had a lot of fun. When I saw that it was offered in the Portofino Restaurant I thought about booking it but I wanted to hear some reviews first. thanks

The following is from my review when I was on the Voyager of the Seas in April 2009 ...

When we return I am still battling the effects of the Benadryl and decide to grab lunch and then rest up for the Murder Mystery Dinner, which begins at 7:45pm in the High Notes Nightclub on deck 14. We meet the soon to be victim and the suspects. Then we walk down to deck 11 and have dinner at Portofino. The menu is scaled down, with only two choices, steak and seafood. I had the steak which was very good.

During the dinner we learn who got shot. Each table gets to ask one of the remaining suspects one question. All the people who name the correct suspect are put into a drawing and nine names are drawn. The winners get a prize. I didn’t name the correct suspect. However, for reasons not explained, everyone at our table received a bottle of champagne.

The dinner is limited to people who are 13 and older. The reason is obvious. The dinner takes three hours. One adult got tired of waiting and just left, leaving his wife to enjoy the dinner alone, and confusing the wait staff.

We have been on many RC cruises and thought the Mystery Dinner would be fun for our next cruise.

How far out do they allow you to book this experience. I figure about 60 to 90 days out. Does anyone know for sure? I saw someone else asked the same question and did not get an answer.

Actually we are Planning on doing it the 2nd leg of our B2B. Was it hard to hear the interaction of the characters in the Lounge or dining room?

We didn't think so. We happened to sit close to the action in the Lounge. I don't know if the back corners would have had problems. It's easy to tell where the action is going to take place. There is a banner that relates to the story.

We have been on many RC cruises and thought the Mystery Dinner would be fun for our next cruise.

How far out do they allow you to book this experience. I figure about 60 to 90 days out. Does anyone know for sure? I saw someone else asked the same question and did not get an answer.

It's part of the specialty dining reservation process. I believe you can book those 30-60 days out?

Has anyone done the Mystery Dinner on Radiance of the Seas? We have done a Mystery Dinner on a train and had a lot of fun. When I saw that it was offered in the Portofino Restaurant I thought about booking it but I wanted to hear some reviews first. thanks

I did a murder mystery cruise about 7 years ago on the Grandeur of the Seas and it was a ball! I would do it again if i had the opportunity.

On the Liberty TA, many of our roll call had booked the Mystery Dinner. Suddenly about a month prior to sailing (if that) we received emails that we were getting a refund for tickets we had cancelled. None of us had cancelled - and there was much confusion. In the end, the official explanation was that the actors who were doing the mystery part had a scheduling conflict, and all mystery dinners were cancelled. Now, when you book a group far enough out to take money from people to come to the show, how do you wind up with a scheduling conflict?

In any event - we were able to arrange with the cruise director to do our own mystery (no dinner) in the Catacombs (which didn't open till late) - and we had a blast. I was the murderer :eek::D

Fran in Corner Brook

• 7 months later...

Check in your cruise reservation under speical dinning. It should be listed - about 4 months prior to cruise you should be able to book. 49.99 per person, IMO it was well worth it dinner was dalish and show was funny.:D We are doing it again on our upcoming cruise.

Archived