Elegant/Formal Night Kaput on Carnival

OneNewTexan

If Carnival would actually enforce the dress code it would not me a problem. It is more about the ME factor that people have now, in thinking that the rules dont apply to ME and I can do as I want. Kinda reflects on the way our politicians have been acting latley. For my family and I we do follow the dress code and enjoy it. We also sit and watch the ME factor and laugh at them when they walk into the MDR in whatever clothes happened to be lying on the cabin floor when it was time to get ready for dinner.......

If Carnival would actually enforce the dress code it would not me a problem. It is more about the ME factor that people have now, in thinking that the rules dont apply to ME and I can do as I want. Kinda reflects on the way our politicians have been acting latley. For my family and I we do follow the dress code and enjoy it. We also sit and watch the ME factor and laugh at them when they walk into the MDR in whatever clothes happened to be lying on the cabin floor when it was time to get ready for dinner.......

But there's a reason Carnival doesn't enforce the dress code. They know where the bread is buttered. Right now they are trying to remain appealing to the majority of cruisers who want a relaxed, casual MDR while not alienating those who want a dressy feel of yesteryear (on Carnival). Personally I think they should just admit they are a casual cruise line and then no one will have cause for complaint.

Carnival will lose more guests by enforcing dress code than they do by not enforcing it - this is why they choose not to do so.

Most people no longer go to the caribbean on a cruise to dress up in a Tux or suit for 2 nights. Its hot and you feel much better in shorts and a caribbean shirt to go to dinner. Be compy The 70s and 80s are gone. Its started on all your cruise lines not just Carnival. Thats why Carnival now has a suggested dress code. The old saying Putting on the dog to impress people is comming to a end. I don't even care anymore what other people think, Cruising has changed over the last 10 years, time to get over it. Its not ever going to go the other way.

Yes but SOME of those tubetops are decent...

Most people no longer go to the caribbean on a cruise to dress up in a Tux or suit for 2 nights. Its hot and you feel much better in shorts and a caribbean shirt to go to dinner. Be compy The 70s and 80s are gone. Its started on all your cruise lines not just Carnival. Thats why Carnival now has a suggested dress code. The old saying Putting on the dog to impress people is comming to a end. I don't even care anymore what other people think, Cruising has changed over the last 10 years, time to get over it. Its not ever going to go the other way.

Might as well jack-up the ships and put their wheels back on...

Reminds me of the smoking issue. Carnival doesn't want to alienate anyone, which is an impossible task.

Trying to keep everyone happy is always going to be a failed exercise. Some will always be pissed off.

BTW , I feel this topic is so much less important then smoking, but yes I know that's a different topic.;)

If those passengers were really dressed so badly, then the Maitre D' would ask them to eat at the Lido. (They are instructed to do this; I have seen them doing this .

I was on the Spirit two weeks ago and saw a number of super casually dressed passengers in the MDR on formal night. And every other night. The matre d never asked them to leave

We cruised President's Week, and I was totally surprised at how many people "dressed" for formal night - I would say over 90%. Many tuxes, tons of suits, nice dresses, etc. I did see some jeans and shorts in the MDR, even though the maitre'd made announcements saying elegant attire only each evening before. I also saw wife-beaters, ripped jeans (not the kind you spend a lot of money on) tiny short shorts, backwards baseball caps in the dining room on the regular nights. Felt like I was at Taco Bell, or any other fast food joint. No one was turned away. Did it ruin my cruise? Heck no! But I did notice it, cause they looked like slobs.

95 percent of the people on formal nights during my recent Bahamas cruise were properly dressed. I wore a long sleeve shirt with dark pants and ties (suit was dirty due to an accident in the buffet), and I was clearly one of the lesser dressed individual in the MDR.

That being said, I don't care how others dress as long as they are well behaved. My enjoyment of the food (and the cruise as a whole) will not be affeted by the attire of other cruisers, but it can be affected if they are rowdy, vulgar, or downright obnoxious.

Do you realize that the term "dress code" is of fairly recent invention. It started to be used in the 1970s about the same time as Visa and MasterCard (then known as BankAmericard and Master Charge) grew to wide availability.

Prior to the Seventies, one never heard "dress code". Back then people who had the cash to spend on cruises or dinners out in nice restaurants knew instinctively what to wear and didn't need to be told by a "cruise director" or Maitre d' how to dress. Those who didn't know, took a look to see what others had on, then dressed the same.

I echo what other sensible posters have written: who cares what others wear? How does that change who you are? If you are dressed appropriately, then everyone else can just take a powder. Does it really give you the fantasy of sailing Cunard when you see people in formal dress on Carnival? Sail Cunard if that's what you're after. But would you feel comfortable with people who dress formally in their daily lives, or would you then feel out of place?

Yes we are on vacation but we Love to dress up for formal night. We never do this at home and our kids who are now (21 & 16) think this is the only way to cruise. Dressing up for dinner is fun. I just bought a tux from EBay (the only way I could afford it) for our last cruise. So now on 7 day cruises I have a tux for one night an suit for the other.

Our last cruise was a four day cruise and there were very few people who dressed up for formal night. But we dress up for ourselves and not everyone else.

Yes we are on vacation but we Love to dress up for formal night. We never do this at home and our kids who are now (21 & 16) think this is the only way to cruise. Dressing up for dinner is fun. I just bought a tux from EBay (the only way I could afford it) for our last cruise. So now on 7 day cruises I have a tux for one night an suit for the other.

Our last cruise was a four day cruise and there were very few people who dressed up for formal night. But we dress up for ourselves and not everyone else.

I love it that you like to dress up and will - myself, we don't go the whole nine yards but we do dress up a little. One question for you though - do you drive to port or fly. We fly and the weight is a huge issue - hence leaving suits at home.

It's a shame you let what other people are wearing ruin your vacation.

What made you think it ruined his vacation? Some people will switch cruise lines because of better food, better ports, etc. Doesn't mean they didn't have a good time on another line before.

That's like being invited to a formal dinner party and getting all dressed up, only to discover when you get there that everyone else is merely wearing casual attire. You feel out of place and wonder why you bothered if no one else was going to bother.

Also, atmosphere is a huge part of enjoying any event (no matter what type of event it is). Dressy clothes tend to make for an elegant atmosphere. Everyone feels pretty, handsome, etc, and it shows in their demeanor, contributing to the overall ambiance of the place.

That's the best explanation for all those who can't comprehend why they should dress up for elegant night.

then carnival is wasting time on cruisers like you who try to come up with different themes on different ships in differert rooms.

make them all the same, and launch them all with the name "ship". just serve the yummy food. :rolleyes:

I'd be perfectly ok with that. I am so not hard to please. My husband is most appreciative ;)

To you guys saying he is teaching his kids a horrible lesson?

REALLY?

The Dad is teaching his kids about responsibility and adhering to standards. Is that so bad?

Do you guys teach your kids to break the rules and lower their standards if they don't feel like putting out any effort?

That's not the point Puppy. The point is that, apparently, his children have already been raised in such a way that if they are around anyone "different", they are "uncomfortable." REALLY? Look, if he wants to spend thousands of dollars on dresses for his female family members, that is his business. I just get the gist from this person that, if he had to go to a homeless shelter to work for a day he would run home and bathe in Clorox to "remove the germs". His children were not born knowing to be uncomfortable around anyone different, they were taught that. Very likely by he and the wife. My family and I dress for dinner on formal night:

https://picasaweb.google.com/vanessa.1963/CarnivalFantasyWithMobileALPartIII#5412334825555973922

https://picasaweb.google.com/vanessa.1963/CarnivalMiracle#5549459921928928850

But my children have been taught that everyone in the world is different and should a family not be able to "dress" for dinner, that should make them no different than us. Nor is it reason to even notice them, let alone judge them. People have no idea what a family (or couple's) story is and whether or not they choose to follow the very lax dress code on Carnival is 100% none of my business. My children do volunteer work for many different organizations and have been exposed to all walks of life. They have been taught that the mail guy at Microsoft is no better or worse than Bill Gates. Yes, Bill makes more money, but they are both human and human is what I teach. The fact that the OP's children felt "uncomfortable" because they were likely overdressed for Carnival speaks volumes to what they have been taught. I'll say it again, how sad for those kids.

Lord forbid that anyone would would wear anything that would spoil the 5 star ambiance. :p

It's the Fun Ship - not the military.

Teaching your children not to cave to (fashion police) bullies is always a valuable lesson.

Talk about what to teach your kids!!!!! You are the same one who in another post referred to those who handle the luggage as "gorillas". Please practice what you so hypocritically preach.

Talk about what to teach your kids!!!!! You are the same one who in another post referred to those who handle the luggage as "gorillas". Please practice what you so hypocritically preach.

Considering how much luggage we have had broken and misplaced, I was actually paying them a compliment. :p

When we went on our very first cruise, in Alaska, everyone dressed up on elegant nights. All men in tuxes or suites, ladies in long dresses. It was on Princess, and over 10 years ago. Since then, we have cruised with Carnival 8 times, and it seems each time the "elegant" night gets more casual. Hubby now only wears a white shirt and tie on dress-up night. He used to bring a sport coat, but we've been trying to cut down on what we bring. A man's sport coat takes up 1/4 a suitcase. I wear a very dressy, mid-length dress, fancy jewelry. We are comfortable but fit in with what most people are wearing.

I don't care what everyone else wears. But I really don't like seeing tank tops, shorts, raggity jeans, and t-shirts, in the dining room at any time. If that is the best thing you have to wear, go to the Lido deck. I consider the dining room comparable to going to a nice restaurnant(even if the food is not always superb),but it is not like going to a fast food restaurant. People should dress accordingly. Casual wear is fine, but not beachwear or clothes you'd do yard work in.

Archived