Hyatt Place North, Expensive

Yvonne

Wow, I just checked rates for the Hyatt Place North for our cruise next January. Lowest price was $217 per night. For 2 rooms for 2 nights that would probably be nearly $900 with taxes and fees added on. Yikes!! And then they have the nerve to charge $6 per person to get to the cruise terminal? Wow! I think I'll keep looking at other hotels. :(

Just checked Embassy Suites, which is another one people here recommend. Total for 2 nights, 2 rooms for 4 adults is $1376.00. No way!! :(

What's up with these ridiculously high prices?! We have always left out of Port Canaveral before, staying at the Radisson and the highest we've ever paid there was $129 and that included parking and FREE shuttle. I'm not impressed with the prices in Ft. Lauderdale, not one bit!

If you try Priceline you might get one of those hotels for a much lower price. In November we got the Hyatt Place South for $65 a night and in February, we got the Springhill Suites (a Marriott property) in the same complex as the Hyatt Place South in Dania Beach for the same price. Both offered free parking,free internet access, a free shuttle from the airport to the hotel and hotel to the ship, and a free continental breakfast. If you bid on a three or three and a half star property in the FLL airport area you should get a good property at much less than the prices being shown on the hotel websites.

We're cruising end of Jan 2012 and I have started my search as well. Not finding any good deals as of yet. Last year we went through bookit.com mystery hotel and got Hampton Inn and Suites for $70 a night. That hotel is now pricing at $160:o Keep looking and post if you find something good:D

Try valuetrips.com

I was able to get 2 rooms for JULY for $89 each.

You are comparing apples to oranges.

The OPs dates are in peak season and yours are dead low season.

To the OP, book something cancelable you can live with and start stalking the discount websites.

Occupancy is way in in South Florida and prices will reflect that.

Consider renting a car and staying out in the suburbs of Ft. Lauderdale. Hotel prices tend to be lower further from the port and a car will give you more flexibility.

Also, prices can change a lot between now and January 2012. Unless it is a great deal, do not book a nonrefundable rate. Book a hotel at a refundable rate that you would be willing to pay and continue to shop around.

I would keep checking back with valuetrips for Hyatt North. We used them in December and received a rate of $109/night. I also liked that valuetrips did not require any upfront payment - you pay at hotel checkout. They also honor the gift certificates you can purchase at Costco for Hyatt hotels ($100 value for $80). ;)

Some other factors that may impact hotel rates:

How many ships are in port the day that you embark? A lot of passengers all wanting to stay on the same date will push up hotel rates.

Are you staying over a holiday weekend - e.g., MLK day? A long weekend can also push up rates.

Do you or the other couple qualify for discounts - e.g., seniors, AAA, etc?

Some other factors that may impact hotel rates:

How many ships are in port the day that you embark? A lot of passengers all wanting to stay on the same date will push up hotel rates.

Are you staying over a holiday weekend - e.g., MLK day? A long weekend can also push up rates.

Do you or the other couple qualify for discounts - e.g., seniors, AAA, etc?

Thanks for the thoughts.

I'm looking at January 27. MLK is the 16th. I've checked for senior/AARP discounts and best available. Sometimes the best available is better than the senior discount.

Several of the lower priced hotels raised their rates during the week last week after I had started checking. I suspect they are seeing bookings start to pick up, but it is very early. I will keep checking for better deals.

Thanks for the thoughts.

I'm looking at January 27. MLK is the 16th. I've checked for senior/AARP discounts and best available. Sometimes the best available is better than the senior discount.

Several of the lower priced hotels raised their rates during the week last week after I had started checking. I suspect they are seeing bookings start to pick up, but it is very early. I will keep checking for better deals.

Springhill Suites Airport/Cruiseport in Dania has AAA rate of $159 + tax for night of 1/27. Per the website, this includes free shuttle from airport and to cruiseport. Don't know if this is in your price range.

Best available rate is sometimes a prepaid rate.

Thanks for the suggestion. Springhill was $129 last week when I first started researching. I should have booked it then, but I knew nothing about the chain. When I decided to book,it had gone up to $159 over night. Lesson learned!

We'll only be there for a few short hours with plane arriving at FLL at 6 PM (suspect we'll not be checked in hotel until 8PM) and shuttling to the ship next morning. I decided to book Sleep Inn for $137 (senior discount.) Sleep Inn gets good reviews here on CC, has complimentary airport/cruise port shuttles, free continental breakfast, a Walgreens and Publix in the area. We should be able to grab something at the grocery for a quick evening meal with the microwave in our hotel room, sleep, breakfast at the buffet, and hop the shuttle.

Thanks again,

Thanks for the suggestion. Springhill was $129 last week when I first started researching. I should have booked it then, but I knew nothing about the chain. When I decided to book,it had gone up to $159 over night. Lesson learned!

We'll only be there for a few short hours with plane arriving at FLL at 6 PM (suspect we'll not be checked in hotel until 8PM) and shuttling to the ship next morning. I decided to book Sleep Inn for $137 (senior discount.) Sleep Inn gets good reviews here on CC, has complimentary airport/cruise port shuttles, free continental breakfast, a Walgreens and Publix in the area. We should be able to grab something at the grocery for a quick evening meal with the microwave in our hotel room, sleep, breakfast at the buffet, and hop the shuttle.

Thanks again,

Springhill Suites is part of Marriott.

Do't give up. Rates will fluctuate. We are staying at a Marriott Courtyard in north Ft. Lauderdale for 2 nights in early May prior to a cruise. About 1 1/2 weeks ago, the senior/AAA rate dropped from $100 to $80 per night before tax.

I would keep checking back with valuetrips for Hyatt North. We used them in December and received a rate of $109/night. I also liked that valuetrips did not require any upfront payment - you pay at hotel checkout. They also honor the gift certificates you can purchase at Costco for Hyatt hotels ($100 value for $80). ;)

I just booked the Hyatt Place North (FLL) for early December through Value Trips for $129. I was thinking I'd grab that, and continue to try Priceline for a much lower price (on a 3*) in case I got the Hyatt Place North or the Riverside. If I can get $20 off my Hyatt Place North price by using the gift cards from costco, I may not even try bidding on Priceline. Thanks for the info on the cards from Costco.

Kay, FYI - I booked the Sleep Inn on Dec 8 for $71 plus tax with an AAA discount. Hope that helps. Wally

I guess we are comparing apples and oranges. I can get the Sleep Inn on 12/8 for $71 with a senior discount as well but Jan 27 is still $134.99 (which is what I booked for--not $137 as I previously stated.) I accidently put in Jan. 17 when I was checking this AM and got a much lower price. Guess I'm dealing with prime time. Hope the port is not too crowded.

I just booked the Hyatt Place North (FLL) for early December through Value Trips for $129. I was thinking I'd grab that, and continue to try Priceline for a much lower price (on a 3*) in case I got the Hyatt Place North or the Riverside. If I can get $20 off my Hyatt Place North price by using the gift cards from costco, I may not even try bidding on Priceline. Thanks for the info on the cards from Costco.

I noticed that the Value Trips discount was for February through December 2011. Looks like January is not in the picture for discounts.

Well, we just stayed at the Hyatt Place North on Monday March 28th for 1 night. Got a price of $109 on Hotwire, which we thought was a fair deal.

Here comes the big but.....the room was AWFUL! :eek: Location was convienent, right across from the elevator, which was the only good thing...I had broken my foot several weeks ago. The room smelled very musty when we first entered. We chalked it up to the damp Florida weather and the fact that the air conditioner was off. So we turned on the AC, sprayed the room with some scented air spray we had with us and took off to explore for the day. On our return, the room still smelled musty. At that point we were too tired to request a change and used our air freshener again.

The bed was comfortable, but the pillows were the squishy feather variety and did not give much support.

Having a large sitting area with couch and ottoman, refrigerator and a large flat screen TV were nice amenities.

The next morning when I showered, I really wished we had requested a room change. The tub bottom was extremely slippery despite the appearance of a finish the looked non-slip. So I put a hand towel in the bottom of the tub for traction. Well...the center of the tub where you stand for the shower felt spongy, almost thin and flexible, I thought I was going to fall right through! :eek: We were in room 415, so if you are assigned this room, please request a change.

The front desk staff were less than helpful, not very customer service oriented. The 2 computers in the business center had internet connection problems, had to be rebooted several times and took a very long time for us to check in online for out flight and print the boarding passes.

I know others have had good experiences, but we did not.

We were much more satisfied with our pre-cruise hotel, Springhill Suites Dania Beach. We got that hotel on Hotwire for $69 a night and would stay there again in a heart beat.

Archived