Not my 1st rodeo, but 1st on RCCL

What should I know? What are the things you love about RCCL? We'll be on Mariner of the Seas in about a year out of Galveston. I'm a dork and have always wanted to ice skate on a ship, but what else should I be looking forward to? Spill!

Well, for unique things (in addition to the ice skating - I want pictures!!;) ), go out on the helicopter pad by going outside on the promenade deck and going all the way forward until you find the stairs.

There's also a peekabo area above the bridge where you can look down and see what is happening on the bridge.

?

What should I know? What are the things you love about RCCL? We'll be on Mariner of the Seas in about a year out of Galveston. I'm a dork and have always wanted to ice skate on a ship, but what else should I be looking forward to? Spill!

Café Promenade.

Make sure you post to your "Roll Call" & sign up for your M&M.

Consider a "slot pull" and "cabin crawl".

Read the secrets thread.

By the number of postings you have I find it hard to believe you know very little about RCCL.Is this a loaded question:confused:

She's never sailed RCCL. She's never had any reason to visit the RCCL board before this so wouldn't know all the specifics to RCCL. Just like I wouldn't know all the details of NCL, Celebrity, or Carnival.

By the number of postings you have I find it hard to believe you know very little about RCCL.Is this a loaded question:confused:

In all of my postings, I do believe this is my 1st on this board. I know generalities of RCCL, but I haven't really had a reason to delve into this board because we hadn't booked with them before. In my mind, the mass-marketed lines are much more alike than different, but I want to know the differences, and then the specifics of Mariner.

Thanks Wrona - because not only do you know I haven't cruised RCCL before, but you actually know me and know that I'm not here to stir or load anything. I really want to know!

Thanks Wrona - because not only do you know I haven't cruised RCCL before, but you actually know me and know that I'm not here to stir or load anything. I really want to know!

I was going to say you were a troublemaker, but since we have traveled together before and you've put up with me, I thought better of it.;)

I know someone who has spent over 60 days onboard Mariner. I'll point her this way to give you some hints.

Well, for unique things (in addition to the ice skating - I want pictures!!;) ), go out on the helicopter pad by going outside on the promenade deck and going all the way forward until you find the stairs.

There's also a peekabo area above the bridge where you can look down and see what is happening on the bridge.

?

I don't know if you're wanting photos of ME skating - if so, gotta get someone to take a couple. I know Aaron will skate with me.

I don't know if you're wanting photos of ME skating - if so, gotta get someone to take a couple. I know Aaron will skate with me.

Hi, Carmen --

I can vouch for you,too :)

As far as skating, make sure you pack socks & a pair of long pants for skating.

You have plenty of time :D

Jane

PS Hi to Carol aka Merion Mom when she makes it over here. We almost met once on her 1st, but not meant to be , RCCL cruise. Jewel OTS 12/26/04!

Hi, Carmen --

I can vouch for you,too :)

As far as skating, make sure you pack socks & a pair of long pants for skating.

You have plenty of time :D

Jane

PS Hi to Carol aka Merion Mom when she makes it over here. We almost met once on her 1st, but not meant to be , RCCL cruise. Jewel OTS 12/26/04!

Hey, Jane, THIS coming New Year's Eve, I *will* be on the Jewel!

Join me!

They make you where helmets ice skating. The Mariner is great ship.Crown Viking lounge is a great place to people watch.

Chops has the best steak if you enjoy a good piece of meat.

Do they really make you wear helmets? Seriously? I may not skate if that's the case. If I take my own skates do I have to take socks? Mine fit much better without.

Do they really make you wear helmets? Seriously? I may not skate if that's the case. If I take my own skates do I have to take socks? Mine fit much better without.

I've skated a couple times. We've never had to wear helmets. I wonder if that's something new. :confused:

I've skated a couple times. We've never had to wear helmets. I wonder if that's something new. :confused:

I don't know how recent, but I remember sometime last fall seeing a thread from a mother complaining about the requirement to use helmets on at least one ship. What many of us suggested was bringing a bandana to cover your hair if this is a concern.

I haven't been on the Mariner but have been on the Explorer and the Navigator, which are the same class of ships.

Don't forget long pants for skating! You can probably get away with no socks for your own skates but you will also need them for rock-climbing. We also love the mini-golf on RCI ships.

Make sure to check out all the art. RCI spends a lot of money to decorate the ships and often each hallway will have a different theme. We try to walk as many different routes as we can to take it all in.

If you don't have kids, the solarium is a great place to hang out- towards the front of the ship on the pool deck, it has an adult-only pool, loungers, and hot tubs.

In the exercise area, there are change rooms that include showers and a sauna. I often get ready for dinner up there and let my husband use the room. If you are traveling with a significant other, the Rasul treatment in the spa is fun.

The production shows on RCI, while as cheesy as all cruise entertainment, are extremely well done with amazing sets. We also really like the games (Love & Marriage Show, Battle of the Sexes, Quest- adults only).

In terms of food, the Promenade Cafe has wonderful little treats (pastries in the morning, little sandwiches (and more pastries) in the afternoon, as well as fruit, coffee, tea, and hot chocolate.

Nearby Vintages is a great wine bar. If you ask, they will give you a cheese plate to go with your wine.

There is no sit-down afternoon tea but the Windjammer buffet puts out "afternoon tea" in around 3, with scones, small sandwiches, as well as wings, fixings for nachos, etc. We always have late dinner and either stop by at this time for a snack or a little later when the buffet switches over to dinner we grab sushi or cheese and crackers and take it to a bar for a pre-dinner drink.

Unlike other lines, there is no pool grill. The freshest burgers on board are at Johnny Rockets, though there is an extra charge for this.

RCI has a great room-service menu, with hot breakfasts and a great selection in the afternoon. Much of the main dining room dinner menu is available in your room too.

If you go to Labadee, try the Labadoozie- it is one of my favourite RCI drinks!

Hope this helps,

I don't know how recent, but I remember sometime last fall seeing a thread from a mother complaining about the requirement to use helmets on at least one ship. What many of us suggested was bringing a bandana to cover your hair if this is a concern.

Not so much of a hair thing with me - though that's also another issue, more of balance a balance issue. My scratch spin is pretty shaky after all these years, and a helmet will throw me off. I'm self-taught on the spins, so I didn't learn to "focus" myself to not get dizzy. I do look like I'm drunk when I finish one, but they are very centered (meaning I don't stray from the original scratch).

Okay, I keep reading about the Promenade Cafe and it's pastries. Do they have almond croissants???? I LOVE these when on X - I will gain a few pounds just because of them.

They don't have the extensive (and excellent) selection of croissants that one finds on Celebrity ships (though sometimes the small sandwiches are made on mini-croissant). I don't ever remember seeing almond croissants.

You also won't have the big ice cream bar, though there is soft-serve on the pool deck and in the buffet. At dinner, there will be some regular ice cream, which is also put out at the buffet (self-scoop). For anything fancier, you will have to go to Ben & Jerry's, which costs extra.

LOL a year from now REALLY?

Get yourself on a RCI ship sooner than that!

You are missing too much to list here

Where does the name GORDONCHICK come from? Have you sailed out of Galveston before? I hear a lot about fog issues, but perhaps you have sailed from here on other lines?

GORDONCHICK comes from me being a Jeff Gordon fan and I was waiting for NASCAR season to start when I joined CC in January 2006. I've sailed out of Galveston 3 times before - in fact, my 1st 3 cruises were all out of Galveston. Celebrity and Princess actually sailed out of Galveston at one time.

LOL a year from now REALLY?

Get yourself on a RCI ship sooner than that!

You are missing too much to list here

We can only cruise once a year, and our 2011 cruise is in May. We might have picked a RCCL ship except we wanted to go to Glacier Bay (have already been to Hubbard). And you've got a year, so start listing!!!!

Mariner is a Voyager class ship, so any "tips and tricks" for the Voyager of the Seas and other Voyager class ships apply here also.

I'm booked for March 25, 2012. When is yours?

I suggest you drive down Saturday and not fly.

If you do fly, go Southwest to Hobby since Hobby is closer to Galveston.

Mariner is a Voyager class ship, so any "tips and tricks" for the Voyager of the Seas and other Voyager class ships apply here also.

I'm booked for March 25, 2012. When is yours?

I suggest you drive down Saturday and not fly.

If you do fly, go Southwest to Hobby since Hobby is closer to Galveston.

We will actually start the drive down on Friday. We are booked on the one before yours.

Archived