Cruise pricing

Maybe a cruise in the US? They are cheaper over there.

But have you ever stopped to consider

that it is cheaper for us to cruise down here ,

than for an American to book a cruise down here.

Works both ways :rolleyes:

Every statement you made in reply to my post was incorrect except one,

Far from it, as evidenced by you now backtracking on what you wrote.

Other than that

Cruises are cheaper out of the US

Some are, some aren't. However, that's a different statement from your incorrect initial claim that cruises were over 50% cheaper there.

Royal Caribbean send their older vessels here because they are considered outdated and have been superceded.

Stop backtracking. Your claim was that the RCL ships would have been sold off there. As older ships continue to operate there, and further, these two also continue to operate in the US half the year, so your claim is again wrong.

Royal caribbean are in a very heathy financial state, how else could they afford to launch the Oasis and the Allure in the last 18 months?

And changing arguments again :D The comments were on Carnival, but since you brought RCL up...

ROFL. Think how long ago these were ordered! For your info, that's over three years ago, pre-GFC so it's got nothing to do with their situation now. And once ordered, these were committed to. There were huge doubts about RCL's viability due to the need to pay these off, both of which have been borrowed for, and not paid outright. Had there not been the marginal recovery in the US there has been, RCL would not exist. It is only because there was a recovery and Oasis and Allure had enough passengers to pay the debt they've been able to continue.

Carnival's cabin prices are about the same throughout the fleet.

Already refuted, but how about this:

Carnival Imagination, Sep 19, Inside cabin 4 nt $189

Carnival Paradise, Sep 2, Inside cabin 3 nt $429

As said, close to 3 times as much per night - and there are many more examples.

Some are, some aren't. However, that's a different statement from your incorrect initial claim that cruises were over 50% cheaper there.

Stop backtracking. Your claim was that the RCL ships would have been sold off there. As older ships continue to operate there, and further, these two also continue to operate in the US half the year, so your claim is again wrong.

And changing arguments again :D The comments were on Carnival, but since you brought RCL up...

ROFL. Think how long ago these were ordered! For your info, that's over three years ago, pre-GFC so it's got nothing to do with their situation now. And once ordered, these were committed to. There were huge doubts about RCL's viability due to the need to pay these off, both of which have been borrowed for, and not paid outright. Had there not been the marginal recovery in the US there has been, RCL would not exist. It is only because there was a recovery and Oasis and Allure had enough passengers to pay the debt they've been able to continue.

Already refuted, but how about this:

Carnival Imagination, Sep 19, Inside cabin 4 nt $189

Carnival Paradise, Sep 2, Inside cabin 3 nt $429

As said, close to 3 times as much per night - and there are many more examples.

I think I am going to put this bloke on my ignore list I am wasting what's left of my life trying to convince him. He just keeps coming up with voluminous amounts of nonsense.

I wonder what the M stands for.

Have a nice life BIG M

Feel free. If you want to convince someone, it helps to have some facts and reasoning but given what you've shown so far, it's understandable that you've taken that approach. Interesting that all you can do is call published and advertised figures "nonsense" though.

But have you ever stopped to consider

that it is cheaper for us to cruise down here ,

than for an American to book a cruise down here.

Works both ways :rolleyes:

I don't actually know if it is but I will take your word for it.

If it is true I wonder why.

Having said that, I don't know if I would choose a Pacific island cruise over a Caribbean, Alaska or Bahamas cruise unless I came here on a cruise tour.

Paul

Just doing a bit of searching and I thought I would get some opinion.

These are direct from the cruise line websites.

17th December 2011 for 2 people

10 nights Pacific Dawn South Pacific

Balcony Cabin

$5,398. Total $540 per day

23rd December 2011 for 2 people

9 nights Carnival Spirit Mexican Riviera

Balcony Cabin

$2,966 Total $329 per day

I can't wait for the Spirit if the same pricing applies when she gets here.

At last some value for money cruising on a true superliner that is relatively new.

It will be interesting won't it?

Let's start again. The per day prices are for the cabin not pp.

The whole point of this thread was to highlight what we pay as compared to overseas.

We do pay more and that is a fact, bringing up mountains of facts and figures will not change that.

My hope is that if enough people are aware maybe we will get value for money just like cruisers from the US.

Anyway I feel like the British army at Rourke's drift sometimes with the ferocity of some of the posters on this forum.

You know I might just have to give it away for a little while and come back when the P&O fan boys and girls have settled down.

Paul

i do tend to agree that Australians are overcharged at times for their cruises, but thats more to do with it becoming popular here and cruise lines cashing in on it. Also i think that the australian cruising industry DOES get the hand me downs of cruise ships, they get sent here and tarted up, look at the P&O ships, we cruised on the Sun in 2005, she's had more facelifts than Zsa Zsa Gabor.

stevo

Trying to compare apples and oranges just results in a comparison that doesn't achieve anything. One specific example is also far from proving something is true.

The example at best shows that P&O is dearer than Carnival - if other comparisons between the two continued that sequence. However, the Dawn has less balconies than the Spirit so for one thing you'd expect Dawn's balconies to be dearer - there are less of them. In the same way there are fewer P&O ships and fewer lines here so that lower supply is almost always going to cause higher prices when demand is high, as in the example given. Lastly, Carnival is the bottom grade of mainstream US lines so has a lower entry price, given the rest of the competition. P&O on the other hand is the established and dominant brand here - when most people think of cruising that's who they'll think of first. Plus there are a number of other differences between the two. Thus, it doesn't give a fair comparison.

To try to make a fairer comparison of which country is cheaper, you'd need to at least choose the same line for comparison, say Princess, HAL or RCL or Celebrity, which operate in both markets. There are still numerous other variables which mean it won't be equal, but at least you're not trying to compare brands with different status and qualities in their different markets on top of that - and then drawing inaccurate conclusions from that as well.

I'm looking forward to the time in my life when i can take advantage of the last minute deals that appear. I was sent an email the other day advertising a 17 night Star Princess cruise from Ft Lauderdale to somewhere in the mediterranean with an AA Mini-suite for around $2000.

There are also those MSC two for one specials on their repositioning cruises from the US to Europe or to South America.

At the moment I can only cruise at Christmas time so I will always be paying a premium to travel at the height of the season.

Roll on retirement................then of course, without a job will I be able to afford the fares:confused:

I'm looking forward to the time in my life when i can take advantage of the last minute deals that appear. I was sent an email the other day advertising a 17 night Star Princess cruise from Ft Lauderdale to somewhere in the mediterranean with an AA Mini-suite for around $2000.

There are also those MSC two for one specials on their repositioning cruises from the US to Europe or to South America.

At the moment I can only cruise at Christmas time so I will always be paying a premium to travel at the height of the season.

Roll on retirement................then of course, without a job will I be able to afford the fares:confused:

That's exactly my problem, my two boys are at school, my wife works at a school and I run a business in the building industry.

Christmas and just after is the best time for me also and it's also the best time for the cruise industry!

That is why in my original post I chose the Christmas cruises, No 1 it's when we cruise mostly and 2. it's a fair way of comparing what people pay.

I could have chosen other lines or ships in the US and still come up with the same sort of price for a comparable ship but the Spirit is coming here and we shall see what the prices for Christmas cruises are soon! I bet they are nothing like the competitive prices in the US.

It does make you a bit green though when you see those super specials like the ones you spoke about. There are also people on the forum that never pay more than $100 a day for cruises, oh well one day!

Have a great day,

It's already a typical Perth day here, sunny one day, sunny the next!

Paul

I'm looking forward to the time in my life when i can take advantage of the last minute deals that appear.

Its not all a bed of Roses Stuart....

when you retire they find other sticks to hit you with....

Like the last minute air fares to join those tasty last minute cruise deals.:eek:

However, you do have the luxury of being able to plan ahead

and cruise when you choose.:D

It does make you a bit green though when you see those super specials like the ones you spoke about. There are also people on the forum that never pay more than $100 a day for cruises, oh well one day!Paul

Heres one..

Check it out on the Princess web site.

Ruby Princess .

1 May 2011 , repositioning cruise ,

Fort Lauderdale to Barcelona 15 days.

Dont know what it is in Au dollars ,

but OV works out around $100 NZ per day

and a balcony for about $124.

Heres one..

Ruby Princess .

Now you're trying to make me jealous!

Trying to compare apples and oranges just results in a comparison that doesn't achieve anything. One specific example is also far from proving something is true.

The example at best shows that P&O is dearer than Carnival - if other comparisons between the two continued that sequence. However, the Dawn has less balconies than the Spirit so for one thing you'd expect Dawn's balconies to be dearer - there are less of them. In the same way there are fewer P&O ships and fewer lines here so that lower supply is almost always going to cause higher prices when demand is high, as in the example given. Lastly, Carnival is the bottom grade of mainstream US lines so has a lower entry price, given the rest of the competition. P&O on the other hand is the established and dominant brand here - when most people think of cruising that's who they'll think of first. Plus there are a number of other differences between the two. Thus, it doesn't give a fair comparison.

To try to make a fairer comparison of which country is cheaper, you'd need to at least choose the same line for comparison, say Princess, HAL or RCL or Celebrity, which operate in both markets. There are still numerous other variables which mean it won't be equal, but at least you're not trying to compare brands with different status and qualities in their different markets on top of that - and then drawing inaccurate conclusions from that as well.

Our Travel Agent told us that carnival was mainstream American Market-

I was thinking Walmart cruising.

We have been on 2 Carnival cruises.

The first was a disappointment because we never got to Mexico because of SWINE FLU and by the time we got off the Carnival Splendour we had had enough.

Our second was on Carnival Spirit.

We were pleased we gave Carnival another try.

We are booked on P&O Pacific Sun for a 12 night Indonesian cruise this year.

If it came to a choice I'd much rather sail On Carnival spirit in a Balcony cabin than on Pacific Sun in an Ocean view cabin for same price.

Carnival may be US cruisings bottom grade in your opinion-

in our opinion that still better than P&O for value

Heres one..

Ruby Princess .

What about Celebrity Solstice's 13 night repositioning Transatlantic Cruise from Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale on Nov 28.

Veranda Cabins (with balconies) are from US$1139 per person which is less than $88 per day!!!!! (Aussie & US dollars are about parity at the moment). Oceanview & Inside Cabins are even cheaper!

Just some food for thought, but I was told on a Princess cruise that older ships generally have much higher overheads and are more costly to run not because they are 'old' but instead because they were designed for sailing not for making money from the getgo.

When you think about this I think it could be very accurate, newer ships are absolutely covered in balcony rooms, even the tiered back of outdoor decks is given away to cram in more rooms and cover the flat bottom of the ship with balcony rooms. So despite balcony rooms been cheaper to ours US lines are still making more revenue out of them then outside/inside rooms.

Consider RCI's latest ships Allure and Oasis, it even has interior balcony staterooms which have a much higher premium then a normal 'inside' room. Not to mention the very latest has a Starbucks coffee and snack vending machines onboard selling at standard land RRP. They also have more "upselling" on newer ships such as far more specialty restaurants etc.

Now consider what P&O Australia has to work with, 1/2 level of balconys and a large majority of inside rooms.

The statement that "US cruising IS cheaper" is completely inaccurate, they do have cruises a lot cheaper then ours but likewise we have cruises cheaper then theirs sometimes, it just happens to be their market is much larger then ours so has more specials at the one time. Also you can't compare AU to US cruises of the same date because our peak season is their off season.

Just something to think about, I thought I would play devils advocate there :P haha

Archived