Princess Visa Card - worth it?

Embracedbylife

I have heard about the Princess Visa Credit Card. I use only one credit card that gives me points for hotel stays etc. but since I cruise with Princess almost each year I thought maybe I should look into it. Is it worth it? Can you get hotel stays and flights with rewards or only credits for cruises, OBC, etc?

I have heard about the Princess Visa Credit Card. I use only one credit card that gives me points for hotel stays etc. but since I cruise with Princess almost each year I thought maybe I should look into it. Is it worth it? Can you get hotel stays and flights with rewards or only credits for cruises, OBC, etc?
IMO if you cruise a lot on Princess (Several times a year) It's worth it because of Double points. However you are probably better off with one of the many other reward cards (cash or points) if you only cruise once a year.

Search for info on C.C. If you haven't used it before, click on "search" in the upper right corner--then ask there. There's a lot of info from past posters re: Princess card vs: other cards. Hope that helps you.

I do have it and use it. You get 1 point for every dollar spent. 2 points for every dollar on cruises. I use the rewards for OBC or spa treatments, flights etc. I have never used for free cruise. The point system is probably better on other cards but I enjoy cruises.

As long as they keep doubling my points for Princess charges I'll continue to stay with them since they're no better or worse than any other card around lately. As soon as the economy turns around :rolleyes: and there's a better deal somewhere else - goodbye.

I don't have any allegiance to any one particular bank anymore. :D

I'd suggest you look at the Discover More Card. If you book a lot of Princess cruises, the Princess card might be a better option.

However, Discover offers 5% cash back on the base price of your cruise if you use their TA (which provides very competitive pricing and excellent service - I've used them for a few cruises now). Or, depending on the situation, you can double a specific amount of your cashback reward when booking on Princess or a number of other lines.

True, Discover is not accepted as widely as Visa, and the basic cashback deal isn't as good as a blanket 1%. But they run 5% specials throughout the year. A few months ago it was 5% back on the first $800 of travel spending. I got $40 for paying for part of a cruise, which I will then double with a voucher for that same cruise. That translates to a sweet 10% on the first $800 of cruise costs. And there are many other ways to increase the value of your bonus, or you could just cash out and spend the money with Princess.

Depending on your spending patterns and cruising plans, Discover might be a very good deal for you.

I'd suggest you look at the Discover More Card. If you book a lot of Princess cruises, the Princess card might be a better option.

However, Discover offers 5% cash back on the base price of your cruise if you use their TA (which provides very competitive pricing and excellent service - I've used them for a few cruises now). Or, depending on the situation, you can double a specific amount of your cashback reward when booking on Princess or a number of other lines.

True, Discover is not accepted as widely as Visa, and the basic cashback deal isn't as good as a blanket 1%. But they run 5% specials throughout the year. A few months ago it was 5% back on the first $800 of travel spending. I got $40 for paying for part of a cruise, which I will then double with a voucher for that same cruise. That translates to a sweet 10% on the first $800 of cruise costs. And there are many other ways to increase the value of your bonus, or you could just cash out and spend the money with Princess.

Depending on your spending patterns and cruising plans, Discover might be a very good deal for you.

I totally agree with this post. We use our Discover card for everything. We used their TA for the first time this year for a Carnival cruise and they are wonderful. In addition, there is a lot of flexibility with their cashback system - credit on your account, cashback via check, donation to charity, or use it with a particular business like a cruise line. We keep another credit or debit card as backup for the few places that don't accept Discover. Also, their website is very easy to maneuver and they have no annual fee.

What is the annual fee? You might do better with one for the airlines since that is usually the next most expensive part of the trip.

There's no annual fee & points are valid as long as you have the card. We cruise a couple of times per year & get credit towards a cruise. For 40,000 points you get $500 & there are other rewards such as OBC, wine, etc. Other cards already mentioned are options but with the double points for any Princess purchase it works for us. Since it's affiliated with Princess the info may be on their website or by calling Princess may gave you more info.

There's no annual fee & points are valid as long as you have the card. We cruise a couple of times per year & get credit towards a cruise. For 40,000 points you get $500 & there are other rewards such as OBC, wine, etc.

Not arguing, just clarifying. Since I considered the card but never applied, I just double-checked.

Points expire five years from when you earn them. (Unlike airline cards, which merely require some level of activity to maintain points.)

And though for 40K points you get $500, at lower levels you get a lower point-dollar ratio (20K points=$200). For me, who would basically be using the card for cruise discounts or OBCs, one problem is the stepped level of redemptions. That is, after 20K points, each additional level of cruise discounts requires another 20,000 (use 'em or lose 'em) points, each level of OBCs another 15,000. If we're talking double points, that's $7500-10,000 in Princess purchases. Otherwise, it's 1% on purchases...what I get across the board with my REI Visa, with no minimum levels for annual pay-outs in cash, or what I get in direct credits to my free Amex business card. (I have no idea what cash redemption options exist for the Princess card.)

Like I said...if you're a frequent booker of Princess cruises or book suites when you do, the card would probably make good sense, especially if you knew you were going to spend $20,000 or more with Princess within a five-year period and then cruise with Princess again. (Or if you were the type of cruiser who regular pays for Spa treatments or wanted yet another tote bag, and would use your points for that.) But for me, the big steps in cruise-discount reward levels and the lack of flexibility are minuses.

Not arguing, just clarifying. Since I considered the card but never applied, I just double-checked.

Points expire five years from when you earn them. (Unlike airline cards, which merely require some level of activity to maintain points.

It's not arguing when posting facts after I posted misinformation that I should have double checked & I appreciate your considerate clarification. :D

There are pros & cons to any reward card and now the OP has more info to consider.

If the OP still wants anymore info I finally found the FAQs on the Princess website:

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/additional_faq/visa.jsp

We also considered the Princess card, but were turned off by the stepped redemption levels. In order to come out ahead of cash back cards we already use, we'd have to achieve those higher levels, and we know only too well that the rules can and do change on these credit cards. We just didn't want to risk it. In addition, our regular credit cards run frequent bonuses up to 5% cash back on a quarterly basis. Discover offered 5% in 1Q11 up to $800...we stocked up on FCCs on our January cruise to take advantage of it.

We also considered the Princess card, but were turned off by the stepped redemption levels. In order to come out ahead of cash back cards we already use, we'd have to achieve those higher levels, and we know only too well that the rules can and do change on these credit cards. We just didn't want to risk it. In addition, our regular credit cards run frequent bonuses up to 5% cash back on a quarterly basis. Discover offered 5% in 1Q11 up to $800...we stocked up on FCCs on our January cruise to take advantage of it.

Before last November those higher yield rewards were something we sought to attain...until they changed the levels. Now the best that can be done is the $500 for 40,000 points which is the best ratio no matter how many points are earned. We're close to that level so that will probably be the last time for us.

It is Barclay.us card. I have had it for about a year. I have pristine credit...ie over 800. The interest rate is sky high. When I called to have it lowered they told me they did not have any programs right now that I would fit into to get it lowered. So, I transferred it to a lower card. The most lucrative cards I have for points are United (you can redeem for flights and hotels) but there is a yearly fee (140 I believe) but with that comes a companion ticket free (BOGO) so it sort of evens out. I also have a GM Card so if you ever plan to purchase a new vehichle again and it is a GM or Pontiac vehichle it gives you your best chance at a good deal. You negotiate your best deal with the salesman and then you present your "rebate $" I had 3,600 bucks on my rebate on my truck when I bought it for my husband the last time. I have about 2,400 now but not intentions on a new vehicle. But glad it is there if I need it. I currently have my Mom on Chase Sapphire. It has some great rebate options. Oh, and Southwest too. Too many years they jerked me around. It is my pleasure to charge it and pay if off and still get the benefit.

But that is my two cents. I am not sure the princess/barclay card is really worth it because it takes so many points....but it sure looks cool! ;)

For $20,000 spending on Princess, you'll get a $500 credit on your statement so it beats getting $200 on another card. 40,000 points = $20,000 spending on Princess. If you use the card on other purchases, you only get 1 point per $ so it's the same as most other reward cards. If you sail a lot on Princess, it pays well. Just make sure you pay them every month otherwise the interest will eat you up.

So it sounds like you'd need to charge $20,000 to get $500 worth of onboard credit? I think I might do better then with my current card that offers $100 for every $10,000 spent.

If you don't cruise often then your other card would be best. If you cruise more frequently it can be better than the $100/$10,000 ratio. With the Princess card you'd get $500 for $40,000 in spending even if you never made any Princess' purchase; your card it would be only $400. If you used it only for Princess purchases, then as 'richie2pies' said only $20,000 would give you $500. The Princess card credit is limited to Princess purchases but can be used for more than OBC. I use mine as a credit on my balance after paying for my cruise. It can be used for additional Princess items as shown from the link on my previously posted Princess FAQ link. It is only beneficial for those who cruise Princess & if that includes you, then it's a better rate of return than what you mention. It's not for everyone & there are many other options to consider. :)

So it sounds like you'd need to charge $20,000 to get $500 worth of onboard credit? I think I might do better then with my current card that offers $100 for every $10,000 spent.

Charge $20,000 with Princess and get $500 OBC

Charge $20,000 with your current card and get $200.

How are you doing better with your current card?

Charge $20,000 with Princess and get $500 OBC

Charge $20,000 with your current card and get $200.

How are you doing better with your current card?

If you're the sort of person who spends an average of at least grand every year on Princess cruises - and I know many people on this board are - then the Princess card represents good value. But the best rewards - those other than scrapbooks and roses and desk clocks - have 10,000 - 20,000 point jumps, and the points do expire. For the card's rewards to have any major value, you have to keep sailing Princess, constantly spending a fair amount on cruising to get the higher redemption ratios.

With a strict 1% cashback card, you trade the higher potential rate of return on Princess purchases for flexibility and not being stuck with orphan points that are worthless in five years unless you cruise Princess again, or want that clock.

With Discover, if you book the cruise through their TA, you get 5% non-expiring cashback on the base price (not including taxes and, I think, port charges). I'm not a big spender. On my upcoming cruise, I can get (roughly) $100 credit from Discover that can be immediately redeemed for cash or a certificate worth $200 off an at-least-l0-night future cruise. If I used the Princess card, I'd get 6,500 points that can be redeemed for a $50 Lotus Spa credit or, should I spend another $1,750 with Princess within 5 years, $100 off my next cruise.

The Princess card can indeed be the best option for booking cruises. Or not.

Archived