Hotel in Long Beach or San Pedro

celly

We are booked on the Sapphire princess departing from Los Angeles on November 22 and are flying in from Europe on the 20th. Need some advise on hotels either in Long Beach or San Pedro. Have used Priceline on our last cruise for a hotel stay in Houston. Will not be renting a car. We are wondering if it is better to stay in (Down Town)Long Beach instead of San Pedro where the ship will be leaving from, as it is easier to get around in Long Beach etc.?
Can someone please give me some suggestions? This is our first time to the LA port area. Would appreciate any recommendations! Als on transportation from Los Angeles Airport to Long Beach or San Pedro.Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi ,live here in Long Beach area. If you look at previous posts there is one on this subject with quite a bit of information on it. The first thing you need to know is that Long Beach Port and Los Angeles port (San Pedro) are not close to each other. So if you basically want to just have a day to rest between your flight in and your cruise , then you need to book in San Pedro. If you want to see something of the area then Long Beach , downtown near the port area. I assume you are coming in to LAX, you will probably want to shuttle to your hotel rather than use a cab . Cabs can get quite pricey out here. See if you can find the other post ,it lists the hotels in LB. And also some hotels in San Pedro. Good Luck.
Cori

Many thanks for your early reply. Will start bidding Long Beach Aerea on Priceline!
I suppose we will make shuttle reservations from Los Angeles Int'l airport to the hotel for the 4 of us. Could you tell us how far San Pedro is from Long Beach and do we have to take a shuttle also? Once more, thanks for your help!

Hi, good luck on priceline , be sure to bid in the right area,and a high * level to assure that you are getting a good hotel and safe area. there are some areas of Long Beach that are undesireable as in unsafe. Bid on the area closest to the cruise port near Ocean blvd. and Pine st. You might want to check out hotwire as well. And expedia will give you good descriptions of the property just for referrence.
As for how far it is from San Pedro, depends which route they take < I am thinking the Ocean blvd. to the Vincent Thomas bridge would be the best. So about 15 to 20 minutes depending on traffic, which can make a big difference. As for arranging for a shuttle, once you get your hotel thru priceline , you might try calling and asking them if they recommend a shuttle service from there to San Pedro Cruise Port, if not then go online and check out shuttle service in Long Beach , should have something there. Good Luck hope this helps. Enjoy your trip.
Cori

Thanks Cori for your help.
We bid on Long Beach and then Long Beach Airport, bid was rejected, and we did not want to bid on San Pedro, so we have to wait 72 hours to place the next bid. Will keep you posted!

Hi Cori, we are finally booked! Not in Long Beach but in San Pedro at the Marina Hotel. Got two rooms on Priceline for $ 48.- each. At first we were a bit disappointed that we had not gotten Long Beach, but after all this is good alternative. Bids on Long Beach + airport area rejected, then added San Pedro increasing the bid with the risk of getting San Pedro, which happened. But we are very happy now! Thanks for your help.

• 4 months later...
Want to bid on priceline for the San Pedro area, cannot find that area on the priceline map, am I doing something wrong? Can you tell me what the Marina was like. Trip Advisor did not have good reviews on the Marina or Sheridan, any ideas for hotels near the cruise port. Will even take something like Hampton on SpringHill Suites Marriott, just not sure what is in the area. Will be cabbing from the Lax on the Friday and would prefer something close to cruise port. Thanks in advance for your assistance. Feb 5th Diamond

Hello Bunky, we just bid 3* San Pedro area and got the Marina Hotel.
Have not stayed there yet. I am a bit worried also because of the bad reviews on Tripadvisor. You will find some positive recent reviews on the Marina on this same board. Have booked the Super Shuttle for $ 15.- per person from Los Angeles Int"l airport to San Pedro.
Good luck on bidding!

Use to be a Hilton.
We stay there twice once as the Hilton, once as the Marina.
Both times taking the ship out of San Pedro, they have a
free shuttle to take you to and from the port.

It's not bad especially for that price you were given.
Both times our rooms clean and nice. Personal nice, I couldn't
get a bay view, so she gave us a room with a patio over looking the pool.
Small gym, pool
bar and restaurant.

I'm sure you will like it.

[font=System][size=3][color=darkorchid]We also received the Marina thru Priceline and I was really worried after reading the reviews. BUT, the hotel was nice, clean and the staff were great. They will take you to restaurants within a 5 mile radius of the hotel and give some recommendations. Our driver even took us to a liquor store for wine on the way back after dinner. However if you want a good wine selection you will not find it in San Pedro, I tried all three stores. The Marina is not an Omni or Inter Continental, but perfectly sufficient for one night. Good luck and have a wonderful time.[/color][/size][/font]

Belle and Gayla, thanks for your reassurance and review on the Marina Hotel. We are now counting the days before we leave. Looking forward to our short pre cruise stay at the Marina Hotel.
Do you know about shopping possibilities in San Pedro? We would like to go to a shopping mall on Sunday. Any suggestions?

Archived