Venice in May or October?

bhealy

I am planning my 2012 cruise and I am looking for some advice. I am interested in a cruise on RCI May 11th or Oct. 15th. Is there any advantage of one over the other? The May cruise cost 200 less. The ports we are going to are listed below.

Venice, Italy

Dubrovnik, Croatia

Kusadasi, Turkey

Istanbul, Turkey

Athens, Greece

Chania, Crete, Greece

Thanks

we cruised in this area in May last year, visiting the same ports except for Chania. It was a bit cool and rainy in Venice, but wonderful sightseeing weather in all the other ports. Not swimming weather if that's what you are looking for.

IMHO it's the perfect time of the year for sightseeing in the Med - not too hot and not too crowded. Can't speak for October.

Both times are great. Spring is a beautiful time as everything starts to bloom as is October when it is harvest time. Mid September is a bit better in my opinion. The weather is perfect either time, not too hot and not too cold. Anytime it rains in the Spring or fall will cool things down considerably.

we sailed out of Venice on May 22 last yr. It was around 80 every day and sunny. Probably hotter in Athens and Mykonos.

But our table-mates had been on the ship the previous week and said it was cold and raining. It's springtime so it can be rainy but then again so can fall. The cruise may be cheaper in May but how about the airfare ?

You can check wunderground.com for weather history.

Thanks for the responses.

I think the Sept. cruise is the same price as Oct's. I will look into it.

We are using FF miles. I think the weather may be a little better in Oct., but May is better to avoid the acqua alta in Venice. Of course the weather is unpredictable.

Would the crowds be about the same?

We landed in Venice on May 15th 2009 and it was THEEE best weather ever. I know you can never predict this, but it was great weather. We've sailed that same area twice in September and it was cold and rainy but perfect everywhere else. It's hit and miss in Venice since it's so far north, but we had weather in the 80s the entire 4 days we were there.

Check the "wunderground.com" and on the right click on "Travel and Activities" and then click on "TRIP PLANNER". Put in your place and dates and see what the averages have been for several years. You will see how nice it was in 2009 :) Anyway... I think this is an amazing tool for any place that I go. Of course I always say that a weatherman is the only job on the planet where you can be WRONG half the time and still keep your job.:D

I am planning my 2012 cruise and I am looking for some advice. I am interested in a cruise on RCI May 11th or Oct. 15th. Is there any advantage of one over the other? The May cruise cost 200 less. The ports we are going to are listed below.

Venice, Italy

Dubrovnik, Croatia

Kusadasi, Turkey

Istanbul, Turkey

Athens, Greece

Chania, Crete, Greece

Thanks

The weather would be more consistent in May, but it will be less crowded tourist wise if you go in October. My husband and I did this, and I really enjoyed it more because we weren't fighting the crowds constantly like we had to do in May!

We arrived in Venice on October 29 and had 3 consecutive days of rain. continued on to Paris for another 3 days of consecutive rain.

After arriving home around the middle of November I saw on the internet that Venice was indeed having terrible flooding problems. The acqua alta, in all it's glory.

I would definitely rather fight a few crowds, than the rain. It made sightseeing an impossibility. They had the fold-up walkways out while we were there, in preparation for the floods. We made it to Murano, but fought the waves and wind making it back to San Marco. Burano was totally cancelled, just too rough to make the vaporetto trip out there. We did a ghost walking tour in the pouring rain (no refunds because of rain) got totally soaked, even with umbrellas, and returned home with terrible colds.

Enjoy your trip, whenever you decide to go. The Med is awesome!

I would go with lower cost sailing as well. We normally travel in Sept/Oct. Having said that, we will be travelling in Italy and Greece (Crete) next month from mid April to mid May. Will let you know how it is. All indications are that it is a good time to go.

Archived