How do I bring alcohol on board?

Basswitche

the chances they will confiscate any liquor you bring on board is 50-50.

If it bothers you that much if they were to take it, don't bring it and deal with the on-board prices.

If it doesn't bother you that they may take it, bring it on just like anything else you would bring on, in your checked luggage. If they don't take it, Yay! you get to have drinks in your room. If they do, boo and you have to use the bars or buy on-board.

What are you gonna do? not take the cruise??

We just do what most here have stated. Ziplock bag and bubble wrap.

I had to laugh our first carnival cruise. My DH's fav beer is Alexander Keiths and I don't think you can get it in the States...anywhoooo, we just put a 12 pack in our carry on with some pepsi and Canada Dry Ginger Ale. The security guy opened our carry on and was looking around, picked up the beer and before my Dh could tell him it was beer the guy just said, oh is this Canadian Ginger Ale....we just said yup and he put it back and we went on our way. Now we always put it in the checked luggage.....but trust me we still more then contribute to the bar staff.

Kim

Just wondering, I'm flying out of Buffalo to San Juan...leaving on the Carnival Destiny...should I buy my alcohol in Buffalo and pack it in my checked baggage prior to leaving or will I have an opportunity to purchase it in San Juan and then put it in my suitcase prior to getting on the ship..I'm just concerned that as soon as I get off the plane in San Juan that I will be ushered into the Carnival transportation bus and will not have time to get anything...Any advice ?? Thanks....

I have been to the port in San Juan a couple of times. Their is a shop where you can buy Barcardi rum. The prices are great and you just walk up to the ship. You should have plenty of time before you leave. Have fun!!!

My DH and I are flying from MSP to FLL a day before we go on our cruise. Would it be best to try and put bubble wrap around the booze before we fly, or wait and buy some in Fort Lauderdale?

Best be safe and go get some bubble wrap at wal-mart & wrap the bottles before you go. What were you going to do-spend time in Ft.Lauderdale shopping for it ? And don't forget the strapping/duck tape. If you plan on buying any liquor on your cruise buy some extra to take with. Have fun!!!

Seems like NCL is pretty strict on bringing alchohol on board. When we cruised on Windjammer, we filled up water bottles with vodka-- but of course that is a totally different type of cruise.

We are NOT cheapskates, but we'd like to have cocktails on our balcony. I mean after all-- it is our vacation, right?

We did purchase a bar set up for our cabin, but was wondering how strict NCL really is??

Okay I just jumped into this thread so if your question has already been answered forgive me. This past spring break we cruised on the NCL Star out of San Pedro, CA. I had been in contact with people on the rollcall board and had setup a time and place for several of us to meet up. One of the women that was supposed to me with us was late because she had to go to the "bad girl room"!!! They caught lots of people trying to sneak liquor on board in their carryon and checked luggage. They did not put their luggage in their room. They had everyone they caught go to a "special room" to claim their luggage and confiscated the liquor. So, if you are traveling on NCL out of San Pedro, at least, dont' do it, unless you don't mind getting caught and being called to the "special room"!!!!!:eek:

Okay I just jumped into this thread so if your question has already been answered forgive me. This past spring break we cruised on the NCL Star out of San Pedro, CA. I had been in contact with people on the rollcall board and had setup a time and place for several of us to meet up. One of the women that was supposed to me with us was late because she had to go to the "bad girl room"!!! They caught lots of people trying to sneak liquor on board in their carryon and checked luggage. They did not put their luggage in their room. They had everyone they caught go to a "special room" to claim their luggage and confiscated the liquor. So, if you are traveling on NCL out of San Pedro, at least, dont' do it, unless you don't mind getting caught and being called to the "special room"!!!!!:eek:

Wow! They really don't want you to bring any alcohol on board yourself! I've heard of people getting caught, but never anything like that

Wow! They really don't want you to bring any alcohol on board yourself! I've heard of people getting caught, but never anything like that

Actually, that's fairly standard. One of the keys there was that the poster was traveling during spring break. From what I've read, they seem to be a little more vigilant during that period.

The question might be, did they totally confiscate it or give it back at the end of the cruise? Also, was it only liquor, or wine too? Usually, they'll assess the wine a corkage charge and let you keep it.

If you're fortunate enough to have a prosthetic device you could have it hollowed out and, in the case of an arm or leg, have an outlet inserted in the finger or toe for discreet dispensing. I should probably caution against smuggling carbonated substances since rapid activity (like running up the gangway) could initiate an unintentional and possibly embarrassing release of contraband. (I would also discourage anyone from having elective

dismemberment for the sole purpose of a "cheap high").;)

• 2 weeks later...
Best be safe and go get some bubble wrap at wal-mart & wrap the bottles before you go. What were you going to do-spend time in Ft.Lauderdale shopping for it ? And don't forget the strapping/duck tape. If you plan on buying any liquor on your cruise buy some extra to take with. Have fun!!!

I'd suggest purchasing your alcohol in FLL. We did a Panama cruise from there earlier this year. We like excellent scotch, and premium vodka. Scotch can be pretty expensive no matter. We stayed at a "budget" hotel (last minute change due to a family emergency and CX'ed a Hyatt reservation.) We spotted a liquor store in a smal mall close to the hotel, and were shocked at how inexpensive the cost of premium grade scotches were! We took those purchaces aboard, but I won't say how so as to discourage the 18 year old asking the "best method! To you I say, "you aren't legal, so don't even try! There's nothing worse than a kid getting out of control because he thinks he so smart". "You're too young, and you have a lot to learn before you try to act like an adult, especially when it comes to alcohol."

Anyway, as for us, some of it we consumed in our cabin as "pre-dinner" cocktails, and we were able to offer people that we met aboard to join us for drinks on our balcony before dinner. (especially on formal nights as we were getting dressed in our tuxes, etc. which takes a bit of time and effort).

We didn't feel like we were "cheating" Princess or any crew members. We always tip very well, usually well above the set amount, as long as the service warrants it. Our cabin steward (who was excellent!) brought us extra glasses, and ensured we had extra ice EVERY day after one simple request, and we compensated him very well at the end! As well, we ran a very sizeable bar tab, for ourselves and treating friends, etc. so our onboard costs were well over $3000.00, nothing to sneeze at. We even tipped above the 15% bar tab where warranted. Overall, no one lost out, we never "cheapened" ourselves by having our own alcohol. Even the person who brought the extra ice bucket every day had $5.00! waiting for them, whether we were in the cabin or not, so who did we "cheat" by bringing our own alcohol aboard?

Trust point made. Overall, expensively priced drinks such as NCL charge for are thier way of selling you a CHEAP, poor service cruise and then sucking you dry once they get you aboard. So to those cruising with NCL, you only get what you pay for. A basic rule that I'm sure you've heard many times! Pay the extra few bucks, get a decent sized cabin, good to excellent food and service, a clean, well maintained ship, and "reasonable" prices with another cruise line. NCL's $499 for 7 days looks too good to be true, and it probably is at $9 a drink, and most reviews claiming horrid food, unless you use the alternate "pay" dining rooms, especially if you like a few drinks, decent food, and utmost, safety, etc!

:eek: AHHHH!!! okay, so i'm not a wine snob (or not much of one), but i AM from CAleeforneeya, home of some of the best and most accessible (not expensive, hard to find or buy) wine in the known universe!!!! so pleeease...there is so much good stuff out there (try viognier, or a spanish garnacha, an oregon pinot {think willamette}, or a dry rose); life is TOO SHORT to drink bad wine!!!!!!

As one CA resident to another... We're spoiled! In some states the box is MUCH better than the local product.

• 3 weeks later...

this is only my second cruise and 1st time i didn't smuggle anything in - cuz i was a little first timer and didn't know better, but this is my second cruise and i was thinking about smuggling some ameretto in with some coke and call room service for some pineapple juice every once and again... my question is this... once we get in our rooms and check that the alcohol is still there do we have to keep it hidden from the room steward or can we leave it sitting on the counter??? very confused about that one, it might be a stupid question but who cares - i've heard on here that the only stupid questions are the ones not asked...

anyways, thanks and have a great cruise...

Mindi

once we get in our rooms and check that the alcohol is still there do we have to keep it hidden from the room steward or can we leave it sitting on the counter??? Mindi

Out of respect for the cabin steward, I keep my bottle out of sight, but not particularly "hidden." I'll put it in a cupboard, or in my carry-on suitcase.

The stewards know what the rules are, and by leaving booze out, I think you pose an ethical dilemma for them. Most don't care and won't touch your booze, but I think I've read here that some people have had it confiscated from the cabin. You never know what orders they're getting from their superiors, so why risk it?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I drive to the port in New York for many cruises and they have never searched my bags and usually always have a few bottles of top shelf to get the night started. Even with the carry-on bottles, the week tab can run about $500 for the two of us.

Last year my family (3 rooms total) sailed Grandeur of the Seas out of Baltimore. I had 2x750ml glass bottles of Cognac buried deep in my checked baggage. My father placed his scotch in a empty bottle of Cepacol (mouthwash) in his own luggage.

When some of my luggage failed to arrive after 9PM the day of departure, I called to inquire.

I was told that there was a problem and to report to one of the meeting rooms near the schooner bar. Let’s call this the naughty room.

Royal Caribbean has a strict no alcohol allowed policy. The purpose is obviously to protect one of their largest profit centers - the sale of alcohol. To that end, the x-ray machines RCCL operates on board (where passengers returning to the ship from a port of call are required to place all bags and packages) are optimized to identify liquids.

In the naughty room were all manner of teens, 20 and 30-somethings and a few seasoned citizens. About 20 of us in all.

A solitary, over worked, employee of RCCL was requiring each bag be opened in front of him so that it could be checked for "contraband" (read liquor). Liquor, he said for almost every person entering the room, would be confiscated and returned at the end of the cruise.

Evidence of RCCL's purpose, was that the fact that the RCCL employee was a member of the bartending staff, NOT the security staff.

As each agitated passenger profusely complained and slammed their luggage on the inspection table and held up each and every component therein as in mock protest, it quickly became evident that this exercise would take hours. And new smugglers were still trickling in to demand their impounded pajamas...

A plan was quickly conceived by those present to sacrifice a cute, young girl with a low cut top for the good of the mob. When was properly incentivized she agreed to manipulate the bartender to facing her (and away from the exit door, the crowd and the luggage). She then proceded to open her luggage and waived her arms and her unmentionables in a way that bamboozled the mixoligist and nearly caused me to walk into the door as well, as I made my escape with my 22” roller in tow.

About two thirds of the rest of us (who were waiting in line with our luggage to open it for inspection) silently and smoothly departed this farce. We figured, correctly, that he couldn’t catch us all.

I never heard anything further.

My father, in his wisdom, got all of his luggage delivered, including his mouthwash, soon after we set sail.

I worry about being invited off the ship, but, like others, I also enjoy an adult beverage on my balcony, without having to get dressed and go upstairs. Not only that, but RCCL doesn’t stock my favorite cognac.

Bottled water too, is something that I like to bring aboard and have handy for the middle of the night. It also comes in handy waiting through those long boarding and departing procedures.

We still drank at the pool, at meals, bought the wine package and had several rounds in the Champagne Bar each night; we just enjoyed an in-room nightcap.

Be warned - RCCL will likely xray all baggage at the port of departure and inspect all bags and packages with on-board x-ray equipment at each port of call.

It seems a equitable solution for RCCL to impose fair fee on beverages bought aboard. We all want to enjoy your vacation by enhancing the cruise with our favorite amenities.

• 2 weeks later...

We've always packed bottles in our checked luggage,and never had a problem. Last cruise we used rumrunner flasks and loved them. They didn't cowst much and are easy to use Since there is no metal on them I don't think they show up on x-rays.we'll use them from now on.

We have always taken a bottle or two of wine in our checked baggage. Also vodka in an empty water bottle. Now I've read Celebrity will "allow" 2 bottles of wine per stateroom (LOL)- check it out on their web site under FAQ's (alcohol policy). But I just purchased the rum runner flasks after reading lots about them here. They look great, and I think we'll pack the bottles of wine in our carry ons, and use the rum runners in our checked bags. Just love getting away with this!!!:D

I've no experience of bringing alcohol aboard a cruise ship, but at a music festival last year they had a 'no alcohol unless you pay our inflated prices policy'. My friends and I decided to see if we could outwit security and come up with the most original and outrageous ways of sneaking in alcohol without getting it confiscated.

We all had our bags emptied and checked and none of us got caught. The various methods used included:

Taping the inside lining of a wine box to her stomach and pretending to be pregnant (this would work on a man pretending to have a beer belly), :D

Similarly, using a Platypus full of chosen beverage.

Filling empty Pringles containers with cans of beer; :rolleyes:

Wearing baggy trousers and taping bottles to the lower leg; :eek:

Washing out spray suncreen bottles and filling with vodka. Nobody suffered from a throat infection that weekend. :p

Archived