How do I bring alcohol on board?

Basswitche

On the Royal Carribean Cruise I took a couple years ago, we were able to bring wine and champagne on board. We did sneak a lot of alcohol in our bags also though and no one ever checked the bags. There were 7 of us each with alcohol in our bags. We bought it once we arrived in Port Canaveral though and didn't fly with it. Just wrapped it in our clothes and set off.

• 2 weeks later...

My daughter & I were on Majesty of the Seas in October '07. At port in Nassau at the shops right at the pier I saw some bottles (formerly had had booze in them), That had been painted and decorated into really great art they had 3 dimensional art of fish, jolly rogers, etc. They had put corks in the tops. The seller had wrapped all 3 that I purchased (Great presents!) individually and packed in a box sealed & wrapped. Boy did I have a hard time getting back on that ship!!! :mad: So yes, it is getting very hard to smuggle booze on board.

Have read all the messages about smuggling booze on board. Should I wrap it and put it in the baggage, or try the following?

There's 12 of us going, plus a baby. We are staying the night before in a hotel and plan on buying lots of bottled water and soda(2 liter bottles) to take on board. Of course all of that will be sealed as it truly is water and soda. Also plan on using a couple 2 liter bottles (most likely ginger ale bottles) to put some JD in. And some 2 liter sprite bottles for some Vodka. Mostly everyone will have to carry some soda or water as we plan on taking a bunch for 12 people for a week. If we all board carrying bottles of soda and water, think they'll catch the liquor if we let one of the kids carry it?

Of course, if they do catch them, we can always look at the poor child with disbelief on our face and say "How COULD you?" LOL

Have read all the messages about smuggling booze on board. Should I wrap it and put it in the baggage, or try the following?

There's 12 of us going, plus a baby. We are staying the night before in a hotel and plan on buying lots of bottled water and soda(2 liter bottles) to take on board. Of course all of that will be sealed as it truly is water and soda. Also plan on using a couple 2 liter bottles (most likely ginger ale bottles) to put some JD in. And some 2 liter sprite bottles for some Vodka. Mostly everyone will have to carry some soda or water as we plan on taking a bunch for 12 people for a week. If we all board carrying bottles of soda and water, think they'll catch the liquor if we let one of the kids carry it?" LOL

Well, I'm sure that HAL checks out this message board and now you have given away your secret !!

• 1 year later...

Just sailed a 6 day Carnival with a group of 10. Each of us put bottles in our checked bags. We bought the alcohol after landing in ft. Lauderdale. We heard they check 1 bag everything 3,000. Therefore we all had our alcohol when our bags were returned. Our stewardest didn't care we had them either (I had 4 bottles plus wine) in my room. We also saw a man carry on a case of beer in the first port and a woman with 3 wines bottles the first day of boarding no problem!

the quote thing didn't work? I wanted to respond to the ranting of someone about smuggling to begin with...

99% of us on this board are not alcoholics....but the fun of 'smuggling' is too appealing NOT to try it! haha, I'm 42 and have always been a 'good girl' so smuggling a little drink in my cabin for hubby and me is a real 'thrill' --yes, I know...I have a 'sad' life don't I?

and why bother running back to my cabin everytime I need a refill anyways whether it's coke or rum and coke??? I don't want to loose my chair by the pool...so yes the ship will get some money from me for the bar.

Also, I've heard a lot about NCL's ships being the **** bag searchers...what about RCL? I've been on Carnival before and hence the name...it was fun to watch people sneaking stuff on board, but you could also buy booze from their liquor 'store' and have it sent to your room...I didn't do this as the kids were with us then...but the hubby and I are cruising alone this go round and plan to have a bit more fun...

My $.02 for those who say something about smuggling being bad, and those that are too polite but still think I'm bad (FYI thank you for holding your tongue).

They'd make more of a profit if I could bring my booze on board. I'm a big guy and it takes a lot to get me drunk. I'm not going to buy 15 drinks at $7.50 each. Since I know I'm not going to buy that much, there is no point in buying any shots/mixed drinks. Since I won't be drinking my girl won't drink (nearly as much) because she doesn't like to drink if I'm not.

Any college student will pre-drink before going to a bar, because bars are too expensive. That's what I would like to do, pre-drink in my room, then go to the bar/club and get 3 or 4 more drinks each night. If I have four and my girl has two, that adds up to over $300 by the end of the week. If I can't get liquor on they are probably making 10% of that from the few drinks my girlfriend would buy.

Another tactic that is very under-utilized is the crew. When you buy liquor from the gift shop they hold it until the last day. The crew members can take it back to their room, or if you are lucky to the bathroom where there are no security cameras and "forget" to leave with it after they "find" 20 bucks... It's pretty much the crew version of "Hey mister!" For those who don't know what that is, it's when underage people wait outside of a gas station and ask a passerby if they will buy alcohol for them, usually for a tip. I was on a HAL cruise a couple years back and got a bottle of Absolut for $25 (I think it was 15 in the shop plus a 10 tip). The entertainers can also take the booze around the ship with them, not just uniformed crew.

• 4 months later...

We kindly request that you do not bring alcoholic beverages (other than wine and/or champagne) onboard for consumption.

Alcoholic beverages sourced from shore-side and brought onboard, no matter where sourced, will be collected at the gangway for safekeeping and will be delivered to the passenger's stateroom on the last day of the cruise.

A member of the ship's security staff will be at the gangway to assist passengers with the storage of their alcoholic beverage purchases. The only exception to the above rule, is that passengers are permitted to bring one bottle of wine and/or champagne per person purchased in a shoreside location onboard. If the wine and/or champagne is brought to the dining room for consumption, a $15.00 per bottle corkage fee will be applied to the passenger's shipboard account. We prefer that passengers bring wine/champagne no larger than 750ml, however, magnums are acceptable. Wine in a box is not encouraged.

Passengers are also permitted to consume the wine and/or champagne in the privacy of their stateroom only, but it may not be brought into any public lounge for consumption.

Please note that any wines and champagnes supplied from the ship's stock to passengers would not be subject to a corkage fee.

FIRST rule of cruising....YOU DO NOT talk about bringing alcohol on board, second rule of cruising, YOU DO NOT talk about bringing alcolot on board....:rolleyes:

awww but how am i gonna find all these cool tips on how to do it?

i find it silly that you can bring wine and champagne, but no beer or hard likker.

• 3 weeks later...

Changed my post.........for TMI. LOL

Rum runners worked GREAT for us.

Plastic soda bottles worked well also.

One in our party managed to safetly smuggle a few pints of liquor on their person from one of the ports.

We packed a heckuva lot of liquor and bought our fair share on board too.

Everyone was a winner.

• 2 weeks later...

some cruises don't even allow that......but if you must.....carefully wrap, pack in clothing.....and be prepared to have it taken away from you at the dock if they find it....ooops!! If they do not, score!!!

After your first cruise you will know more...;)

• 1 month later...

Join the C&A society and get to Diamond level or above and enjoy free drinks for 3 hours every night. Get so hammered you don't care about drinking in your cabin.

To be honest, I spend so little time in my cabin, what with enjoying the ship and meeting people, I don't have time to drink there.

We could of course all pay double for our cruises and bring as much drink as we like on board. I rarely complain as even at $6-7 a drink, the measures on board RCL are so good as to make them seem cheap, and when they are not strong enough, I send them back.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

My last cruise out of Long Beach in Oct. had an army of scanners. They rifled my shaving kit and every other hard item. Little plastic flask of good (not sold on the ship) bourbon went in the trash.

Gave the porter/scanner a tip. Must be a red flag.

All seems to depend on which port.

Listerine gin martinis aren't worth it. At least use a new or reused alcohol flask.

Good Sipping bourbon is worth the fun.:D

• 10 months later...

I will be taking my first Celebrity cruise in June out of Seattle. I have read on the forums that you are allowed to bring two bottles of wine on board. I am wondering if I can just carry the bottles in a carry on or do I have to hide them in my luggage? Also, are you allowed to bring on board sodas? I will be flying to Seattle so I am hoping to find a store nearby to purchase some wine and sodas. The drink package is not something I feel I will get my money's worth. Thanks for any advice and tips. Please send me any information about stores near the terminal to purchase these items. I do not want to risk bottles bursting on my flight from New Orleans.

I will be taking my first Celebrity cruise in June out of Seattle. I have read on the forums that you are allowed to bring two bottles of wine on board. I am wondering if I can just carry the bottles in a carry on or do I have to hide them in my luggage? Also, are you allowed to bring on board sodas? I will be flying to Seattle so I am hoping to find a store nearby to purchase some wine and sodas. The drink package is not something I feel I will get my money's worth. Thanks for any advice and tips. Please send me any information about stores near the terminal to purchase these items. I do not want to risk bottles bursting on my flight from New Orleans.

You said you wouldn't get your money's worth from the soda package so it sounds like you wouldn't have all that many sodas so why not just buy them on board as and when you want them. Save yourself the bother of carrying heavy bottles and in the grand scheme of things for what you pay for a cruise sodas on board are not that expensive.

Go to RumRunners.com and buy the Bladers ( $4.99 and up per bladder)they are leak proof and they really work..... We got busted one time(we have been on 8 cruises this one next will be 9)and when our "BOOZE BAG" didn't make it to our Cabin we knew the jig was up so to speak....so with our heads held low with red faces we went down below and sure enough there it was our 1/2 gallon of Rum was waiting:eek: they just told us we would get it back the last night of our cruise...well we are not tight with our money we do buy all the drinks we like on deck,but we just like to drink a few Bacardi and coke on our balcony.

Actually you really are not supposed to bring Liquor on board but we do it any way....You don't loose it you just take it back home ...SOOOO that is my chuckle for all of you on this beautiful evening here on the East Coast of NC....:D

I am NOT passing judgement on anyone ... BUT if you have devised a scheme that works for you, and you're comfortable with it, why broadcast it here?

It's not like cruiseline employees don't have access to these very boards and don't read all about the various and sundry ways you choose to, shall we say, smuggle.

Nothing that's posted here is something they haven't seen before. There are no secrets.

You could try to smuggle in Sodium Ethoxide as soap. It's a solid and you just need some acid (Lemons from room service, not sure you could smuggle in HCl) and water to derive ethanol + water + salt.

It's highly corrosive if not properly neutralized. -- Fair warning.

you could try to smuggle in sodium ethoxide as soap. It's a solid and you just need some acid (lemons from room service, not sure you could smuggle in hcl) and water to derive ethanol + water + salt.

It's highly corrosive if not properly neutralized. -- fair warning.

huh????

Yes, you can walk on with wine and water and soft drinks too I believe. We buy the wine right there in Ft. Lauderdale and carry them on in a tote bag. This time we are going to bring on a small case of water too. This is allowed.

Archived