How do I bring alcohol on board?

Basswitche

I haven't flown since 1986 - is it okay to pack a corkscrew in your checked luggage?

Yes, you may take your cork screw with you....just make sure if you have a knife attached to your cork screw that it is in your checked luggage because TSA will not allow knifes on board the aircraft.

We were on the Golden Princess, and had checked into our rooms, then the guys went off the ship to a local supermarket and purchased 4 Cases of beer. They walked back on board with it, and past security check with no problems.

• 2 months later...
We had friends - 3 sets on 3 different NCL ships who had some in their checked luggage - not a lot just one bottle. Anyway 2 of the 3 got theirs taken out while the third's arrive untouched - luck of the draw maybe?

I heard about replacing it in mouthwash bottles and then resealing, how would one reseal?

Funny you would mention the mouthwash bottles...last year my friend and I replaced mouthwash with vodka and even used food coloring to make it green! We carefully removed the "seal" and then placed a small piece of transparent tape back on it. We put the bottles inside our checked luggage in big Ziplock bags. I think we had more fun thinking up this foolishness then drinking the contraband. BTW our bar bill was still in the high 3 digits ! It's so much more fun to drink in the lounges out of the foo foo glasses! Yep, we even brought a couple of the glasses back to the cabin to make our own--not the same.

• 1 month later...

I haven't tried putting alcohol in luggage. But in September on NCL in Hawaii, when we reboarded at a port stop, they opened our water bottles (which had the seal broken) and smelled them. They also took my opened bag of Maui chips. At the next port I brought back a bag of Maui chips--still sealed--and that was okay.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi:

We just had friends get off the NCL ship out of Houston and they said they got their liquor taken up. The had poured some bourbon into a 20 oz. coke bottle and some vodka in a 20 oz. Sprite bottle plus had a bottle of Bloody Mary mix packed in checked luggage. Both their suitcases were "flagged." In the first suitcase they opened was the Bloody Mary mix and they asked if that was all it was, non alcholic mix, and they said yes. They looked no further. The other suitcase they pulled out the Coke bottle and asked if it was coke. They are not liars and told them it was bourbon. They took it up. They also bought a bottle in the ship's store the afternoon before they came back and they had to pick it up the next morning before debarkation. Didn't deliver it to the cabin that night. He said there was a large amount of wine/beer/liquor being collected upon embarkation (in Listerine bottles as well as soda bottles) and some really unhappy (and vocal) passengers. They are still wondering why whoever inspected that first suitcase and saw the Bloody Mary Mix didn't figure out there just might be some vodka to go with it.

Tucker in Texas (who packs her rye in a Ten-0-Six astringent bottle along with other cosmetics)

Anyone try with RCCL ?

We will be on Brilliance next september and not that we are alchoolic but we like to have a dring on our balcony, so what is the best ?

Plastic bottle of water, or Pepsi or what esle ?

Thanks !

Lou

I am NOT passing judgement on anyone ... BUT if you have devised a scheme that works for you, and you're comfortable with it, why broadcast it here?

It's not like cruiseline employees don't have access to these very boards and don't read all about the various and sundry ways you choose to, shall we say, smuggle.

• 2 months later...

Originally Posted by Bug715

I'm cruising carnival and am 18. any sugestions? also could i pack a shaker?

Sure, learn how to have fun without drinking, you're underage anyways

LOL - I was thinking that - oh to be 18 again - full head of hair - slim (not really) and just wanting a drink ...

Bug - get chalk for your ID ..lol

Old Faithful

Originally Posted by Bug715

I'm cruising carnival and am 18. any sugestions? also could i pack a shaker?

Sure, you can pack a shaker, a salt and pepper shaker! LOL :D

My suggestion is to drink in ports that allow 18 year olds to drink. Read Carnival's website carefully as underage drinkers CAN be booted of the ship and so can people purchasing it for them.:eek: Not that they do this regularly but I have heard of it happening, especially when people make a big deal about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Basswitche-

I see you're going on NCL, and they have by far the worst rep, so the "classic" smuggling methods probably won't work.

Go to the site http://www.rumrunners.com and order some plastic flasks.

I found out about it on one of these boards and ordered them myself.

They actually hold a lot of liquid. Wear pants with a lot of pockets (cargo pants) and you should be fine.

Good luck!!!

I've always brought a seperate suitcase with 2 large bottles of Jack and a few 2 liters of soda to mix it with. I go with the good old Glass bottles, but some feel plastic is less likely to break, i disagree. I've learned to pack it all in a seperate dedicated suitcase. Tip your luggage porter at the pier extra and tell him to make sure your luggage gets on the top of one of the bins. I have seen many peoples cruises ruined because there formal clothes were marinated in liquor when the bottles broke. Seperate suitcase eliminates the problem and i wrap the bottles in towels, this way if the bottles break you just have a few wet towels. 5 cruises and not one broken bottle yet. KNOCK ON WOOD. The last carnival cruise i went on they confiscated any liquor you had purchased in port then gave it back to you the last night of the cruise. Although if there is a large party of you coming back on the ship you can sneak a few bottles past them. Give your room steward a $20 the first night and tell him/her to keep the ice flowing. They will bring you extra buckets of ice. If you run out of soda, you can get free juices from room service. Orange, pineapple, and cranberry were available. Wow i just realized i sound like a total alcoholic;) .

• 1 month later...

Question:

Are we allowed to bring a bottle of wine on board? I know some lines/ships have

a corking fee. Others will let you take one bottle for departure. What is

allowed on the Majesty of the Seas?

Thanks!

Answer:

Guests are not allowed to bring their own beverages onboard. This includes:

liquor, wine, beer, soda, or self produced products (example: home made wines).

An exception to the rule is for guests who have a unique request for wine (only)

that we do not already provide. Royal Caribbean will allow a maximum of two

bottles that will be confiscated by the cellar master until a time when the

guest wanted to consume it in the dining room. A corkage fee of $12.00 per

bottle will be charged. Guests cannot bring this onboard for stateroom

consumption.

Feel free to contact our Gift’s and Gear department at 1-800-722-5443 or

305-539-6305 between the hours of 8:30 am to 7:00 pm EST, Monday through Friday

for information regarding the availability of your desired wine.

Thank you for choosing Royal Caribbean International.

Pedro Curbelo

Customer Service Representative

Seems like NCL is pretty strict on bringing alchohol on board. When we cruised on Windjammer, we filled up water bottles with vodka-- but of course that is a totally different type of cruise.

We are NOT cheapskates, but we'd like to have cocktails on our balcony. I mean after all-- it is our vacation, right?

We did purchase a bar set up for our cabin, but was wondering how strict NCL really is??

We sailed on the NCL Spirit and they would not deliver our luggage because they spotted a bottle of liquor in it. We had to go to a special room (with lots of other luggage!) open our suitcase, and hand over the liquor before they would release our suitcase. Our liquor was returned to us on the last night of the cruise. I sure hope that the Carnival Glory isn't as strict. We are thinking about using a clean shampoo bottle this time. Anyone ever tried this?

For my next cruise, I'm dishwashing some shampoo bottles and filling them with alcohol to pack in my luggage. My luggage has been searched before on numerous occasions (I know for a fact, because 75% of the time, my luggage comes back to me with the contents rumpled, and in some cases, my bags were actually TORN on the inside. ughhh), but the people checking the luggage would never think to check shampoo bottles.

:D

Correct me if I am wrong, but other posters mentioned that they lock their checked on luggage. Do they break locks and search? Or if the bags are xrayed, and there is something suspicious, they call you over to open it?

Thanks for the clarification.

I've always been asked to unlock my bags upon handing them over to the baggage people. It's been like that for me in American airports as well, my luggage is always unlocked unfortunately.

I have no idea if they break locks or anything like that, though.

Correct me if I am wrong, but other posters mentioned that they lock their checked on luggage. Do they break locks and search? Or if the bags are xrayed, and there is something suspicious, they call you over to open it?

Thanks for the clarification.

cruiselines do not require your bags to be unlocked but U.S. airlines do.

I use those cable ties when flying in the USA and when I get off the flight I put my locks on.

If the cruiseline want to look in your bags they will ask you to open them ...I have not had a problem so far with either.

You people have GOT to be kidding! Shampoo bottles? Listerine bottles? WHAT!! Is it THAT important to you to feel like you are getting over on the cruise line? It's not as if you are going to be on the ship the rest of your life!

You want a drink in your cabin, on the balcony....? How about stopping by one of the many bars and picking them up and carrying them to your cabin. On some ships, you can order from room service. You have just spent quite a bit of money to vacation on a wonderful ship and have a great vacation and you are worried about your shipboard bar bill?

All of the cruise lines have an alcohol policy...if you choose to ignore it and get caught, do the rest of us a favor; don't whine, complain, become obnoxious, rant nor hold up the line for the rest of us who follow the rules.

And an 18 year old worried about a shaker? Come on people. Grow up!

Wow, could you possibly be any more condescending? This thread is clearly titled "Ways to Smuggle Alcohol on board", so if the subject dismays you to the extent of writing a fairly rude rant, I don't know why you're bothering to read the thread in the first place.

Its pretty common for people to pre-game before going to bars and events on land, so why would it be any different at sea?

My advice to you is to practice what you preach and take your ranting, whining, and complaining about drink-smugglers elsewhere.

You people have GOT to be kidding! Shampoo bottles? Listerine bottles? WHAT!! Is it THAT important to you to feel like you are getting over on the cruise line? It's not as if you are going to be on the ship the rest of your life!

You want a drink in your cabin, on the balcony....? How about stopping by one of the many bars and picking them up and carrying them to your cabin. On some ships, you can order from room service. You have just spent quite a bit of money to vacation on a wonderful ship and have a great vacation and you are worried about your shipboard bar bill?

All of the cruise lines have an alcohol policy...if you choose to ignore it and get caught, do the rest of us a favor; don't whine, complain, become obnoxious, rant nor hold up the line for the rest of us who follow the rules.

And an 18 year old worried about a shaker? Come on people. Grow up!

You go with your bad self! lol! Some one is always looking for a problem even on a harmless cruise critic thread, some people just aren't happy unless they are complaining. They probably have nothing better to do with there time. God Bless America! I enjoy going through these threads and listening to all the different personalities, don't all of you? Be nice, kick up your feet, relax and pop open a bottle of :rolleyes: whatever floats your boat no pun intended lol. Enjoy your Cruises everyone ( Explorer 6-30-06):D

Archived