snorkeling...feeding fish

DandyTwister

On my last cruise I went snorkeling and fell in love!!!

So on this cruise snorkeling is definitely one of our excursions...however I have a question.

I've read a few times (but never thought to ask and now I can't find the threads) about taking food (dog food?) with you to feed and attract fish.

So...first...does this work?

If so...what to take? (You can't take anything that is not manufacturer sealed off the ship...so it's not like I can just take a baggie of something).

Does anyone know if suggested things to take are good or harmful to the fish?

Lastly...explain the "mechanics" of this to me because I just don't get it when I try to imagine it. So there we are...ready to go snorkeling...fins and mask on...now what?? Grab a handful of "whatever" and jump in the water...how do I swim with my fists closed around the food? Won't it get wet and soggy as soon as I get in? I found that the best views were once you got away of the initial crowd getting in the water...out to calmer waters...so you swim with your fists closed and then what...dump it all at once? Or how could you release it slowly?? I'm so confused...please help...I leave in a couple of days.:confused:

Fish are pretty stupid and will eat all kinds of things they shouldn't. While some things may not kill them, it could cause various digestion problems.

If you carry food loose in your hands, you will most likely find some of the more aggressive fish actually nipping you hands and some could leave hickeys or maybe a little worse.

If you google: snorkel fish food, you can find a number of different products designed for underwater use.

The reason you are not supposed to feed the fish is that they will then become used to this activity & expect it & instead of hunting/gathering their usual food, they will grow up eatting only tourist's handout's which will eventually disrupt the foodchain. They also become aggressive & bite the hands that feed them. You think "Oh, one person feeding them won't matter!", but that's what the other 100 people in the water that day think too. Besides that, dog food, cat food, peas or whatever are bad for the fish & the environment. I know it's fun, I used to do it before I learned of the ill effects, but if you truelly love snorkeling, think about the future of the fish & the future of the reef. I'll get off my high horse now before I'm bucked off.

Shouldn't feed the fish, human/dog food is not good for them and if a barracuda or lion fish bites and enters the fray then what.

Siegfried and Roy didn't think their tiger would bite them nor did Steve Irwin think he would get a sting ray dart in his heart!

lWe get hard rolls or bagels from the dining room or lido deck at breakfast. The fish LOVE it & there's nothing that could harm them. My DH had a roll in the pocket of his swim trunks one time & the fish were going into his pocket to get the bread out!! It was hilarious!! :p

Fish are pretty stupid and will eat all kinds of things they shouldn't. While some things may not kill them, it could cause various digestion problems.

If you carry food loose in your hands, you will most likely find some of the more aggressive fish actually nipping you hands and some could leave hickeys or maybe a little worse.

If you google: snorkel fish food, you can find a number of different products designed for underwater use.

I'd say it could be worse http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHNpYxCSnUM

This stuff works great for feeding fish:

487px-Easy_cheese2.jpg

the cheese is too funny. I have taken those little closed boxes of cereal from the lido buffet. you cant take open food off the ship. lots of fish came. I did just recently read though not to feed the fish this food because it isnt meant for them

on our recent trip to the Bahamas I decided to be 'smart' and bring a baggie with a leftover grilled chhese sandwich in it. I tore the corner and released small amounts of the bread/cheese mush for the fish to eat.

The fish loved it and I got some of the more skittish fish to come out of hiding too. I was proud of myself..... until a huge stingray decided to come eat too! Right in my face!:eek:

So much for snorkeling for the rest of that day... I was SO done! lol :(

The reason you are not supposed to feed the fish is that they will then become used to this activity & expect it & instead of hunting/gathering their usual food, they will grow up eatting only tourist's handout's which will eventually disrupt the foodchain. They also become aggressive & bite the hands that feed them. You think "Oh, one person feeding them won't matter!", but that's what the other 100 people in the water that day think too. Besides that, dog food, cat food, peas or whatever are bad for the fish & the environment. I know it's fun, I used to do it before I learned of the ill effects, but if you truelly love snorkeling, think about the future of the fish & the future of the reef. I'll get off my high horse now before I'm bucked off.

I am NOT an experienced cruiser (we leave on our first cruise in just two days!) but I have been snorkeling for many many years in Hawaii and also Mexico. As the poster above stated correctly, if you truly love snorkeling and want the reefs and fish to be there in the future, please do NOT feed the fish! Sadly, some of the excursion companies will tell tourists it's okay, but those who really care and want to protect the environment will educate their guests. Our reefs around the world are disappearing and we must do all we can to take care of them....also getting off my soapbox now to pack....

I am NOT an experienced cruiser (we leave on our first cruise in just two days!) but I have been snorkeling for many many years in Hawaii and also Mexico. As the poster above stated correctly, if you truly love snorkeling and want the reefs and fish to be there in the future, please do NOT feed the fish! Sadly, some of the excursion companies will tell tourists it's okay, but those who really care and want to protect the environment will educate their guests. Our reefs around the world are disappearing and we must do all we can to take care of them....also getting off my soapbox now to pack....

This is so true...please do not feed the fish! I think it is sad that so many people are uneducated about this...I always tell people I see doing this while snorkeling to stop.

We took large milk bones. I put some in ziplocks at home and carried them off the ship in port, probably breaking all kinds of rules, but, hey, I smuggle alcohol too. Then just grip it in the water and watch the fish swarm. The dive master we were with had the same thing, in case we'd forgotten them. A few of the fish nibbled our fingers, but they weren't big or aggressive. I don't know about the nutritional aspects of milk bones for fish, but it's gotta be better than canned cheese.

That would be my concern. You can throw food in the water but you can't control what comes after it or what it might do to you or others. :D

It's like bears in the woods becoming accustomed to campers (and their food).:eek: I'd be afraid of larger fish in the water associating snorkelers with food.:eek::eek:

I always know that CC is the right place to ask my random questions....no feeding fish for me. Everyone's points made sense to me (well except the cheese one...no human or animal should ingest that!:p)

My concern was harming the fish...but after watching the link to the guy who lost his thumb...well....lets just say we won't be feeding any fish:eek:

Thanks for all your help everyone...even the cheese comment LOL!!

This is so true...please do not feed the fish! I think it is sad that so many people are uneducated about this...I always tell people I see doing this while snorkeling to stop.

Do you, by chance, know where the tons of uneaten/discarded food goes from cruise ships? Over the side, feed the fishy's! In the larger ecosystem of the ocean, tourists feeding fish makes zero difference. If you want to save the reefs, try wearing non-toxic sun block and not stepping on the reef.

On one cruise I had heard that having some milk bones works well, so I tried it.

the fishes were all around, and biting at my fingers as I would pinch off a piece.

It was fun, till a big old fish came by...

I don't know my fish, so it was probably just a fish. Then I learned later, not a good idea, so last cruise the milk bones stayed home with the dogs.

This last cruise we went snorkeling with a private excursion in Grand Cayman.

The crew were cleaning conch and tossing back the Yucky parts,

now that was some fun with fish every where.

And I wasn't so worried about my fingers.

Archived