Best Place To Book

lmreddin

Hi. I am planning to beook a Bermuda cruise. Really undecided as to how to go about it. Could use my local travel agency. Could book directly with NCL, or could use one of the huge online agencies. It is my understanding that if you book directly with the cruise line you can't get the deals you can get elsewhere. What about discounts? I know they would give me the past-passenger discount, but what about the union discount or a resident discount? Also, I don't know if my local agency can get me the same deals as the online agencies can.

Please give me your opinions/advice on this. Norwegian is raising their rates on April 1. I'd like to do something before then. Also, does anyone know if you have to actually be booked before April 1, or would talking/planning with an agent be good enough to get the old prices?

We've use "all of the above" for booking at one time or another.

If you have discounts available (past passenger, resident, etc.) you should be able to get them from any of those sources.

If you use an agency they (the agency) will be the ones that deal with the cruise line. You cannot deal with the cruise line directly and must go through them for any changes. Good TA = Good Service, Bad TA = Bad Service.

If you book direct you can work directly with the cruise line. But again if there is a problem you can spend a lot of time getting things straightened out.

Where did you hear that rates are going up on April 1? Rates go up and down all the time for cruises depending on how the bookings are coming in. We get emails and mailings all the time about "Act now before the rates go up!" or "72 hour special".

Charlie

Hi. I am planning to beook a Bermuda cruise. Really undecided as to how to go about it. Could use my local travel agency. Could book directly with NCL, or could use one of the huge online agencies. It is my understanding that if you book directly with the cruise line you can't get the deals you can get elsewhere. What about discounts? I know they would give me the past-passenger discount, but what about the union discount or a resident discount? Also, I don't know if my local agency can get me the same deals as the online agencies can.

Please give me your opinions/advice on this. Norwegian is raising their rates on April 1. I'd like to do something before then. Also, does anyone know if you have to actually be booked before April 1, or would talking/planning with an agent be good enough to get the old prices?

I'll speculate that you must be booked before the price increase. I personally look at NCL's site, select the room I want and copy the NCL price. You could then call NCL and ask them about any possible discount to that price to which you might be entitled (union or whatever) and determine the lowest price available to you. Then I go through a TA, tell them what I want and any info I have from NCL and ask what they can get that for. Previously, the TA would discount the price a bit by giving back some of their booking profit. Now they only give discounts through OBC, which is still fine with me.

Where did you hear that rates are going up on April 1? Rates go up and down all the time for cruises depending on how the bookings are coming in. We get emails and mailings all the time about "Act now before the rates go up!" or "72 hour special".

Charlie

NCL is advertising that fact. It's on the home page of their web site now. I'm guessing it's to offset the rising fuel costs without imposing an actual fuel surcharge.

This link was posted almost a month ago concerning the NCL's fare increase:

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/p...-epic/145355/1

We use an NCL personal cruise consultant and get all the discounts available, whether it be military, union, OBC deals, fare sales, whatever. After I book I continually check with her to see if any better deals have popped up. I've saved a lot of money doing this.

Just prior to our fall cruise on Jewel last year, the itinerary was changed because a problem with the propulsion system would limit the ship's speed. Our stop in Newfoundland was eliminated. I received a phone call and an email from NCL, letting me know about it and giving me the opportunity to cancel for a full refund. The people in our roll call who booked through NCL or a travel agent received the same notification, but those who used the online travel services did not. They only learned of the change through our roll call. I met several people on the ship who were irate about the change because they didn't know. In each case, they told me they'd booked online, but not directly with NCL. I can't say that was the case for everyone, just the ones I spoke to. It's something to consider when you book.

So in your experience you would either go directly through the cruise line or else a local agency?

This link was posted almost a month ago concerning the NCL's fare increase:

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/p...-epic/145355/1

We use an NCL personal cruise consultant and get all the discounts available, whether it be military, union, OBC deals, fare sales, whatever. After I book I continually check with her to see if any better deals have popped up. I've saved a lot of money doing this.

Just prior to our fall cruise on Jewel last year, the itinerary was changed because a problem with the propulsion system would limit the ship's speed. Our stop in Newfoundland was eliminated. I received a phone call and an email from NCL, letting me know about it and giving me the opportunity to cancel for a full refund. The people in our roll call who booked through NCL or a travel agent received the same notification, but those who used the online travel services did not. They only learned of the change through our roll call. I met several people on the ship who were irate about the change because they didn't know. In each case, they told me they'd booked online, but not directly with NCL. I can't say that was the case for everyone, just the ones I spoke to. It's something to consider when you book.

We usually book directly with NCL...just with whoever answers the phone...we do not use a PCC. If rates go down or I have questions, I can call the 800 number and they are good about helping me out.

Then...about 1 week before final pay, I transfer my booking to an online TA, who gives me all kinds of OBC that NCL doesn't offer. It's not a cancel and rebook, just a transfer. Have done this twice and it's worked out well.

The reason I book with NCL first is that they do not charge a cancellation fee if I need to cancel before final pay day. If I book with a TA, there's usually some kind of fee/charge to cancel the cruise, even if it's well before final pay.

Once final pay comes along, we know if the cruise is going to happen or not, so we then transfer it over to a TA.

Good luck!!

I booked my May cruise to Bermuda last month directly through NCL (during thier 4 day sale). I did some research first and did not find any lower fares for my cabin. I was able to get the union discount and $300 OBC for using my Amex to pay for the trip.

I prefer to book direcly with the cruiseline. Our first cruise, we had a TA since it was our honeymoon and we were clueless. She was great, trip was fabulous. Second cruise, that TA retired and gave our account to another TA. Worst TA ever. She screwed up more things than she got right. Last cruise, I booked through NCL, everything was great. This upcoming cruise, Mom and Dad insisted on using their TA. I called to find something out - she's on leave. *****? So, now I'm dealing with someone else from that agency and I'm honestly expecting everything to be screwed up. I wish I could just deal directly with NCL instead of her.

So in your experience you would either go directly through the cruise line or else a local agency?

We had a great PCC but she just retired. So far, her replacement seems to know her stuff, too, so we'll probably stick with her. But a good travel agent will take great care of you, too. The key is to shop around until you find someone you're comfortable with.

Our September cruise to Bermuda is booked with a online agency listed on this site. Free insurance, 75.00obc and 1 bottle of wine. Price has dropped once so far and our rate was lowered. Won't get those perks from NCL. ;)

But when they offer something like free insurance, how do you know the coverage is good? Most people probably don't really do any research on that.

Our September cruise to Bermuda is booked with a online agency listed on this site. Free insurance, 75.00obc and 1 bottle of wine. Price has dropped once so far and our rate was lowered. Won't get those perks from NCL. ;)

I recently used a PCC from NCL to book for next year. He told me about a discount we could use, and gave me a total price. I had to talk with others who were going to be traveling, so I did not book right then. The next day, I called the PCC to get it booked. When he told me the total it was $200 more per cabin than we discussed the day before. He claimed the price had been raised by $99 per person overnight. I expressed displeasure, and he made a big deal about talking with his supervisor to see if we could "get it closer" to the price he gave me the day before. He came back with "great news," they were going to let me book it for the price discussed the previous day. So I booked. When I got home, I checked online and the prices had not gone up at all. I think he was trying to pull a fast one on me.

We usually book directly with NCL...just with whoever answers the phone...we do not use a PCC. If rates go down or I have questions, I can call the 800 number and they are good about helping me out.

Then...about 1 week before final pay, I transfer my booking to an online TA, who gives me all kinds of OBC that NCL doesn't offer. It's not a cancel and rebook, just a transfer. Have done this twice and it's worked out well.

The reason I book with NCL first is that they do not charge a cancellation fee if I need to cancel before final pay day. If I book with a TA, there's usually some kind of fee/charge to cancel the cruise, even if it's well before final pay.

Once final pay comes along, we know if the cruise is going to happen or not, so we then transfer it over to a TA.

Good luck!!

That sounds like a good strategy for more OBC. We have never done a transfer from NCL to another TA. How does that work? Does your NCL booking number change? Will you lose the $50 Lattitues OBC? Thanks for any information.

This is getting more and more confusing. Everyone has a different experience, I guess.

My sister-in-law may be going with me, so I will have to see what she wants to do, also.

There's no right or wrong way. It's going to work regardless. If you decide to use a TA, then find one that you feel good about, comfortable with, because you will probably use them again. Ultimately, doing your own shopping is the best way to go and using this information to determine if you are getting a good price or service from a TA.

But when they offer something like free insurance, how do you know the coverage is good? Most people probably don't really do any research on that.

All the insurance info is posted on their site for you to read. You can upgrade, for 29.00. Still for us, its a deal. ;)

That sounds like a good strategy for more OBC. We have never done a transfer from NCL to another TA. How does that work? Does your NCL booking number change? Will you lose the $50 Lattitues OBC? Thanks for any information.

Booking number stays the same...cabin stays the same...we had a small OBC from NCL ($25.00), and that came over as well. Not all OBC's come over, it depends if the promotion that NCL offered is compatible with the TA promo. It usually is. Latitudes would come over, I'm assuming union, etc as well.

We actually booked with a future cruise credit...and that was fine to transfer over as well. No issues. The online TA I used have an 800# that we could call and he looked up all the info and sent out quotes/confirmations to us before we transferred. That way we knew we wouldn't end up losing out once it was transferred.

We booked 2 insides, so our price wasn't that high, but we still ended up with about $325.00 OBC plus the $25.00 per cabin that NCL offered, for a total of $375.00. Not too shabby!!!:D

I have now used the same TA for the last 2 cruises and the agent I work with returns my calls and e-mails promptly.

You need to e-mail or call a special NCL number/address provided from the new TA...I think it's NCL dispatch???(can't recall). You let them know you wish to transfer your booking and give them the info on the TA you will be using. Within about 24 hours, it's tranferred and you're done. From that point on, though, if you have questions, you need to contact the TA and not NCL.

Everything. like cruise doc e-mails, luggage tags, etc still come directly from NCL.

It's worked out great for us!!

FYI, not all cruises qualify for any of the discounts mentioned. My cruise I just booked doesn't offer any discount if I take the OBC.

Enjoy

I agree with the others that said book directly with NCL now and get whatever discounts, OBC etc that you can. Then start looking around online and with your local TA. Ask them what they can add OBC, wine, etc if you transfer your booking to them. Make sure you get it in writing before you actually make the transfer. You will then receive a new invoice from the "new" TA with all the booking info from the direct booking plus whatever they have given you. I booked a suite (SF) directly with my PCC, got $300 OBC from NCL for booking 9 months in advance, 10% AARP discount, $150 OBC for moving up a Latitude level and then transferred it to an online TA who added an additional $200 OBC for a total of $650 OBC. :cool:

I booked my May cruise to Bermuda last month directly through NCL (during thier 4 day sale). I did some research first and did not find any lower fares for my cabin. I was able to get the union discount and $300 OBC for using my Amex to pay for the trip.

If it's not past final payment, which I suspect it is, you could tansfer your booking, keep all that you have plus most online TA's will add another 10% of the cruise fare only in OBC. You won't find any difference in NCL cruise fares anymore from place to place. The only thing TA's can do now is offer OBC or other amenities since NCL requires them to charge the same price as NCL does.

I agree with the others that said book directly with NCL now and get whatever discounts, OBC etc that you can. Then start looking around online and with your local TA. Ask them what they can add OBC, wine, etc if you transfer your booking to them. Make sure you get it in writing before you actually make the transfer. You will then receive a new invoice from the "new" TA with all the booking info from the direct booking plus whatever they have given you. I booked a suite (SF) directly with my PCC, got $300 OBC from NCL for booking 9 months in advance, 10% AARP discount, $150 OBC for moving up a Latitude level and then transferred it to an online TA who added an additional $200 OBC for a total of $650 OBC. :cool:

Does the transfer have to take place before final payment, or could it be after?

FYI, not all cruises qualify for any of the discounts mentioned. My cruise I just booked doesn't offer any discount if I take the OBC.

Enjoy

I would think that any sailing would qualify for a past-passenger discount. I realize that only certain sailings qualify for union and resident discounts.

Archived