Exactly how rigid are arrival/departure times in given ports?

AlanS17

As mentioned before in pervious threads, I'll be on my honeymoon for the April 24 sailing of the Azamara Journey from Venice to Athens. Because of the occassion, I'm looking for anything to enhance the romance.

My fiance has a certain fascination with Santorini, and she said she was interested in any itinerary that would include the island. They are apparently world-reknowned for their sunsets. It's one of the major draws of the island. Naturally, this cruise intierary carries it (thus part of our decision).

However, I've noticed that the ship leaves Santorini at 8pm. The sunset for our day in Santorini is 8:15pm. If the ship were to leave just an hour later, we could catch the sunset. I know that the ship needs to keep to a particular itinerary, but I'll admit it's a bit dissaopinting that we won't be able to perch ourelves along the rim of the caldera to view that legendary Santorini sunset.

I'm not dumb enough or arrogant enough to even consider asking them to push back our departure by an hour, but I do have a question... How often do they change their plans on the fly to suit the needs of the situation? Is there a glimmer of hope for a Santorini sunset? It has the potential to be the highlight of our entire trip.

Departure times can change, it will all depend on what is happening next port etc, I suspect though you are not going to be able late enough to see the sunset at Oia which is about 45 mins from the port which is a tender port. Santorini is a difficult port for captains because it is a tender port and ships have to use the local tender suppliers and not their lifeboats as the do elsewhere. This was a concession that the islanders gained when the cableway was installed to recompense the mule owners who had lost their monopoly

So maybe you will stay a little later, but I would not bank on it. However, my most beautiful sunset photos are the night we sailed out of Santorini

Azamara changed their departure time in Istanbul last year (October or November) on Journey to take advantage of a fireworks display. I believe wheretonext on these boards alerted Azamara to the big "miss" that was about to take place, and after research they actually did push back the departure time so guests could sailaway and watch the fireworks display.

Santorini is a tender port so may be easier to accomplish if it did not mess up your schedule for the next day. What is the next scheduled port? Are you sure the schedule is not in place so you watch the sunset from the ship?

Well the vantage from the ship surely can't be as great as from the caldera's rim up above. My fiance and I are both into photography, and we're looking for those iconic pictures of Oia at sunset.

The next stop after Santorini is actually our final destination - a 6am debarkation in Athens. I don't know if that hurts or helps our odds of lengthening our stay in Santorini.

That's dissapointing to hear about the tenders taking so long, though. It's the only port on the itinerary that uses tenders. Maybe simply adding an extra hour wouldn't be enough? Having never been on a cruise before, I don't know how long these things take.

If there was a change to the schedule, how would the cruise go about announcing it?

On our cruise last year, sometimes the arrival times would change, but the departure NEVER did. Also, even if they delayed departure for an hour, I wouldn't suggest you begin your return down from Fira, much less Oia, with such a short window.

I'm sure you have plenty of other highlights on your trip, but I'd take the sunset at the caldera off your wish list this trip so you're not disappointed!

Well the vantage from the ship surely can't be as great as from the caldera's rim up above. My fiance and I are both into photography, and we're looking for those iconic pictures of Oia at sunset.

The next stop after Santorini is actually our final destination - a 6am debarkation in Athens. I don't know if that hurts or helps our odds of lengthening our stay in Santorini.

That's dissapointing to hear about the tenders taking so long, though. It's the only port on the itinerary that uses tenders. Maybe simply adding an extra hour wouldn't be enough? Having never been on a cruise before, I don't know how long these things take.

If there was a change to the schedule, how would the cruise go about announcing it?

If a specific port is that important to you it is better to go on a land vacation. Ports are not guaranteed, and Santorini is notorious for being missed because of weather issues.

We actually just canceled a cruise, partly because a port had been changed to Santorini.

Also note, depending on how many ships are there that day, the lines for the cable cars can be very long and even over an hour. Should that happen the other option is to walk down the route that the donkeys use (or travel by donkey).

If the trip ends the next day it is unlikely the Captain would lengthen your stay as people are trying to leave to make flights.

I know you said you weren't arrogant enough to request the ship to do this, but somehow I think this is what you really want to happen. I highly doubt the ship will change their times because ONE couple wants the sunset. If you depart at 8:00 pm, do you think you won't see the sunset if it's at 8:15??!

Hi Alan (Greetings from Madrid Spain-from our land vacation)

I was the one who instigated a change in the IST departure time

BUT this wasnt easy to do. and it began 6 months prior to our sailing with several departments getting involved. Keep in mind this also involves the port authorities approving it, not just a cruise line. Eventually I was told it would be changed, but it was pretty close to sailing.

no official announcements were made until we were on the cruise, nor was the itinerary on AZ website changed. I was told I could share it with my roll call.

When we were in the actual port of IST for 2 days, the 1st day was a torrential down pour of almost 10 inches of rain within 24 hours and winds gusting up to 40 plus miles an hour.

The Captain told me later that because of the weather conditions it was still iffy up until that 2nd morning, it was even iffy if IST would be able to do fireworks because of the weather.

The celebration was for the Turkish Republic Day which is considered equivalent to our 4th of July. So imagine being in Washington DC for 4th of July fireworks.

It was that special of an event. You can see my video here

http://www.youtube.com/user/OurPassportStamps

Azamara gave us the gift of a true destination immersion experience

Regarding Santorini. we were just there last November. the sunset was beautiful but our ships photographers told us they thought it was actually better in Fira town than Oia...though dont miss out on Oia.

UKTOG explained it best and I will just say plus 1 from me on her explanation.

If this is so important to your fiancee to see the sunset in Santorini I would recommend that you fly or take a ferry to Santorini from Athens.

Also, keep in mind ports can be pulled at anytime for any reason. Weather, tidal conditions, natural disaster, safety and security...

This is very rare but it does happen. If you cant come to terms that this could happen then you should do a land vacation.

Well, its Tapas time...

K

Well, its Tapas time...

K

Hope you are having a great time! I flew into Madrid and out of Lisbon about 20 years ago. It was a very good land vacation. But, in Spain, be careful of the Sangria and alcohol content.

Alan, for every minute a ship is docked there is a cost. Sometimes this can be per capita, a single floating unit, or ship size.

I believe you should start your crusade with the view that you have zero chance of delaying departure for this reason. A medical emergency, engine failure, weather etc - yes. Catch a sunset, eh...no.

Your best best bet is to try and convince the captain to stop the ship outwith the port, outwith the local authority.

However, have you considered that in achieving your goal you may screw up the plans of others? What if another honeymoon couple or anyone else for that matter has an early romantic dinner planned at sea, and they end up eating in port? I wouldn't be happy to find out we'd moved the whole itinerary to suit two people (in that scenario).

David

I was the one who instigated a change in the IST departure time

BUT this wasnt easy to do. and it began 6 months prior to our sailing with several departments getting involved. Keep in mind this also involves the port authorities approving it, not just a cruise line. Eventually I was told it would be changed, but it was pretty close to sailing.

no official announcements were made until we were on the cruise, nor was the itinerary on AZ website changed. I was told I could share it with my roll call.

When we were in the actual port of IST for 2 days, the 1st day was a torrential down pour of almost 10 inches of rain within 24 hours and winds gusting up to 40 plus miles an hour.

The Captain told me later that because of the weather conditions it was still iffy up until that 2nd morning, it was even iffy if IST would be able to do fireworks because of the weather.

The celebration was for the Turkish Republic Day which is considered equivalent to our 4th of July. So imagine being in Washington DC for 4th of July fireworks.

It was that special of an event. You can see my video here

http://www.youtube.com/user/OurPassportStamps

Azamara gave us the gift of a true destination immersion experience

Regarding Santorini. we were just there last November. the sunset was beautiful but our ships photographers told us they thought it was actually better in Fira town than Oia...though dont miss out on Oia.

UKTOG explained it best and I will just say plus 1 from me on her explanation.

If this is so important to your fiancee to see the sunset in Santorini I would recommend that you fly or take a ferry to Santorini from Athens.

Also, keep in mind ports can be pulled at anytime for any reason. Weather, tidal conditions, natural disaster, safety and security...

This is very rare but it does happen. If you cant come to terms that this could happen then you should do a land vacation.

Well, its Tapas time...

K

Hi K, hope all is well and the weather is reasonable. I looked yesterday and it was @60 so not bad for this time of year.

David

Hi Alan,

Santorini is a beautiful island with incredible views. Your whole day there will probably be a highlight of your trip, so even without seeing the sunset it will still be a very memorable day. A really great way to spend the day is to rent a car and explore ... it will be quiet (pre-tourist season) when you are there, so you wouldn't be sharing the roads and parking areas with a lot of other tourists.

Just to add, the sunset that we saw on Santorini was a lacklustre one due to low clouds .. what really stands out in memory were the spectacular views from the caldera at the lighthouse at the south end of the island, in Imerovigli and Oia!

Enjoy!

I believe that your sailing is scheduled for the perfect time.

Go to an outside upper deck for the sailing (10 or 11). - Where you can freely move between the port and starboard sides.

You'll have essentially the same sunset view as on shore (perhaps a fraction of a second earlier); BUT,

You'll also get a spectacular view of the shining sun, as it sets on the white alabaster hilltop buildings on Santorini.

You'll learn the origin of references to a "shining city on the hill'. It's an experience -and a view- that you'll never forget.

You'll appreciate your unique vantage point when you see thousands of camera flashes from the shore, as tourists photograph the sun - 93 million or so miles away.

In short, you'll be very glad that you saw the sunset from the ship. Again, you need to move between the port and starboard sides. You won't get the full experience from your balcony.

Well said Wcyellin. I couldn't agree more.

The distance to Oia, the tender difficulties and the cable-car complicate the issue in Santorini.

Having said that, on our Panama Canal cruise in December our Captain made the decision to stay longer in Cabo San Lucas so we could enjoy the on-deck barbeque and local entertainment without wind or swell. (This, of course, did not impact our on-time arrival in San Diego). Just another example of the way Azamara strives to please their clientèle.

Surprise your fiancée with a bottle of chilled champagne as you watch the sunset. (Hope she is not reading this!!!!)

Enjoy your honeymoon....... and keep the Journey ship-shape for us as we board in Athens :)

One thing not mentioned, but the Captain may want to get out of that harbor when he still has some light. It is not easy to navigate in there and if there are other ships, he needs all the light he can get. Santorini is beautiful but there is no guarantee of a brilliant sunset in the first place, go when you have more time to spend on a land vacation if it is that important to you or as the previous writer says, end the cruise there.

It seems some people in this thread have misinterpreted my post...

I'm not going to (nor have I ever had the intention to) bring it up to anyone or suggest that it happen. I don't know why people think I'm someone out to change the schedule. I'm not. I'm simply hoping they notice how close it is to sunset and change it on their own (though I DO realize how unlikely that is).

Would I be exstatic if they did? Yes. Am I expecting it? Of course not. They're in that port all the time, and what would make my sailing different from any other? I'm hardly even hopeful. I was merely trying to see if such a thing ever happens, and if so, how frequently and under what circumstances.

If Santorini is your last port of call, and a Santorini sunset important, why not end your cruise there, stay overnight and take the ferry to Athens the following day? Simples
We think this reply makes the best sense. The sunset is at 8:15, but you have to come back down from the cliff, and then tender. You may not get back aboard the ship until 9 p.m. If 100 passengers on your ship request that they set sail an hour late, that is one thing, but if just one couple so request, we doubt they will listen to you!

Firstly let me congratulate you on your up coming marriage & secondly on trying to give your bride a special moment. Speaking as one who will be celebrating her 40th wedding anniversary this month let me advise you that sometimes romantic moments can backfire. Your bride imagines sitting & relaxing with a glass of wine in a leisurely manner watching a magnificant sunset.The reality even if you could get the sailaway delayed will be a hurried worried viewing rushing to get back on board on time & the sunset may be hazy & not that great. You have 2 options 1 .Leave the cruise early & overnight in Santorini & fly or take the ferry to Athens the next day.Fine but what about your luggage 2. Buy her a gift in Santorini as a momento which you then give to here whilst sipping champagne on the deck & watching the sun setting as you sail out the Caldera & follow this with Dinner in one of the Specialty restaurants. When we were in Santorini it wasa bit hazy,but the ship had a special evening on deck beautiful buffet Greek food & dancing certainly one of the high lights of the cruise. You will have many special moments on your honeymoon remember the unexpected can often be the best, those keenly anticipated an anti-climax . I do hope your bride is not disappointed in Santorini

When we were in Santorini it wasa bit hazy,but the ship had a special evening on deck beautiful buffet Greek food & dancing certainly one of the high lights of the cruise.

Was this on Azamara?

Was this on Azamara?

The evening buffet in Santorini was held on Azamara Quest in August 2009 and this was at that time standard practice for sailing leaving Santorini in the evening

However, none of these sailings were on the last evening of the cruise and I think this will have a big impact on what does or does not happen that day

Firstly let me congratulate you on your up coming marriage & secondly on trying to give your bride a special moment. Speaking as one who will be celebrating her 40th wedding anniversary this month let me advise you that sometimes romantic moments can backfire. Your bride imagines sitting & relaxing with a glass of wine in a leisurely manner watching a magnificant sunset.The reality even if you could get the sailaway delayed will be a hurried worried viewing rushing to get back on board on time & the sunset may be hazy & not that great. You have 2 options 1 .Leave the cruise early & overnight in Santorini & fly or take the ferry to Athens the next day.Fine but what about your luggage 2. Buy her a gift in Santorini as a momento which you then give to here whilst sipping champagne on the deck & watching the sun setting as you sail out the Caldera & follow this with Dinner in one of the Specialty restaurants. When we were in Santorini it wasa bit hazy,but the ship had a special evening on deck beautiful buffet Greek food & dancing certainly one of the high lights of the cruise. You will have many special moments on your honeymoon remember the unexpected can often be the best, those keenly anticipated an anti-climax . I do hope your bride is not disappointed in Santorini

Thanks! You make some very good points here. I wish I had thought far enough in advance to disembark the ship completely in Santorini and stay there overnight. With the next day being a national holiday, we might as well be in Santorini instead of Athens. Due to budgetary and time constraints, that's no longer an option. However, I'm sure we'll have a great time in Satorini. The sunset dinner sounds like a nice touch. I hope they do it.

Archived