Freedom versus Voyager class

We are planning a transatlantic cruise in 2012 and the alternatives are Liberty, Adventure and Voyager of the Seas. The group is father, mother and by the time of the cruise a 5 year old girl and a nearly 3 year old boy (actually 33 months).

All ships seems modern and very nice, but the Liberty of the Seas should be the best I think. But I am not sure it would be better just beacause it is the newest. Considering the children we may not use all the extras on Liberty. When I read the description of the ships the extras on Liberty that we may use is the Flow Rider (which is not important), H2O Zone (which the children may like if they are not too small), WIFI (I would like to use my iPhone and laptop on board) and sportspool (which I am not sure what is - but if it is a pool made for swimming, not playing, I would like it). And the Liberty will have the Deamworks which the girl probably will love. I think we will choose one of the bigger suites or perhaps two connected balcony staterooms if it is allowed that the children sleeps in their own stateroom.

If there are any children programme on board, that would be a good reason for choosing one of the ships. But considering this is a transatlantic cruise with probably few children, it does not matter perhaps ? As you probably understand :) we are not english speaking. The children will only understand norwegian and "signlanguage" I guess.

Are there any good reasons for choosing one of the ships ?

We are planning a transatlantic cruise in 2012 and the alternatives are Liberty, Adventure and Voyager of the Seas. The group is father, mother and by the time of the cruise a 5 year old girl and a nearly 3 year old boy (actually 33 months).

All ships seems modern and very nice, but the Liberty of the Seas should be the best I think. But I am not sure it would be better just beacause it is the newest. Considering the children we may not use all the extras on Liberty. When I read the description of the ships the extras on Liberty that we may use is the Flow Rider (which is not important), H2O Zone (which the children may like if they are not too small), WIFI (I would like to use my iPhone and laptop on board) and sportspool (which I am not sure what is - but if it is a pool made for swimming, not playing, I would like it). And the Liberty will have the Deamworks which the girl probably will love. I think we will choose one of the bigger suites or perhaps two connected balcony staterooms if it is allowed that the children sleeps in their own stateroom.

If there are any children programme on board, that would be a good reason for choosing one of the ships. But considering this is a transatlantic cruise with probably few children, it does not matter perhaps ? As you probably understand :) we are not english speaking. The children will only understand norwegian and "signlanguage" I guess.

Are there any good reasons for choosing one of the ships ?

Pick Liberty. The H20 zone alone is worth it.

There will indeed be VERY few children on board, but the counselors in Adventure Ocean will be that much more devoted to your children! Patience will be in greater abundance, with fewer kids for them to look after.

Just be sure to get two cabins that CONNECT not just are next door to one another, if you go the two-cabin route.

If you pick a Grand Suite or higher, you, the parents, will have access to the Concierge Lounge and the services of a concierge. Might be worth it on a Transatlantic.

:)

I would say Liberty also because of everything already listed and also of the three, Liberty is the only one that has a program for your youngest child if you do decide to have them participate. The others will have a daily play group for your young child that you have to stay at. Liberty has a new babies and toddler program that was just recently added.

Actually the programme for the autumn of 2012 was published just 4-5 days ago and we were looking at Owner suites which will cost about 8000 USD on all those ships. Yesterday it was two vacant on Liberty, but checking now it is none, and I have not seen any Royal suites on any ship. Is it really all sold out on Liberty, or is it just that the programme is not ready yet ?

Your suggestion have already convinced me that Liberty is the right thing, but I would choose an Owner for that price !

Actually the programme for the autumn of 2012 was published just 4-5 days ago and we were looking at Owner suites which will cost about 8000 USD on all those ships. Yesterday it was two vacant on Liberty, but checking now it is none, and I have not seen any Royal suites on any ship. Is it really all sold out on Liberty, or is it just that the programme is not ready yet ?

Your suggestion have already convinced me that Liberty is the right thing, but I would choose an Owner for that price !

Book a Grand Suite now and tell your agent to 1. WATCH for an Owner's Suite to open up 2. PUT YOU on the waiting list for an OS.

:)

I have been on 4 Transatlantic cruises, and so far all have tend drawn an older crowd. there are some kids, including some preschool children. do not expect many youngsters. I do not know if they will have much Dreamworks stuff on such a cruise.

also, be mindful of the weather on transatlantic cruises. The weather can really vary, but tends to be a bit cool outdoors. also windy if only due to ship's speed. In sum, you may not get much swimming weather on a transatlantic cruise. If you pick the ship based upon pools, at the end you may chuckle at the end.

No matter which ship, the Internet will be charged by the minute and will be slow whether you use wifi or ship computer.

any of the ships will be fine. all have the royal promenade, which is nice on transatlantic voyages. Pick the dates and the itinerary that works best for you.

Pick the dates and the itinerary that works best for you.

We got it down to two ships. One of them was the Adventure of the ocean which had more ports and was going to three islands in the Carribean, where we never had been. The downside was ending in Puerto Rico, where we have to get a flight to Florida before even two more flights back to Oslo, Norway.

The Liberty of the Seas had fewer and less interesting ports in my opininon considering I have been to all the spanish ports, but is ending its journey in Ft. Lauderdale where we can have a beachholiday (if the weather is not too rainy in November) and probably go to Orlando with the children. And then there is just two flights home. Starting in Barcelona with Liberty is a more interesting city than Malaga in my opininon although I have been there three times before. I expect the journey especially from Barcelona to various spanish ports to be quite cool in the end of october, that is also a downside. And then I hope that the Liberty is a slightly better ship for the children than the Adventure. After all the ship is a bigger attraction to me than all the ports :cool:

We ended up with owner suite number 1650 on the left side of Liberty. Two suites in this category was vacant today. I am hoping that it is not the smallest Owner suite in the ship which it seems to be, looking at the deck plans. Actually we are on a waiting list for the Royal suite, but I was explained that first payment was made for this suite by someone, and it is not a good chance that it will be available. Travelling with two small children, I am a little afraid that even the Owner suite will be too small, considering it has not got a separate bedroom.

I am a little excited already :) Compared to the usual Norwegian familyholiday, it will be a different holiday, and very different from my biggest adventure yet: 5 weeks trekking and climbing expedition in the Everest region of Nepal 12 years ago. Most of my friends and relatives thinks it will be dull, but I cannot imagine it with all the activities in the ship. And after all we will have a lot to do to engage our children :) But this being my first real cruise, perhaps I do not know what to be expecting :o

Thankyou very much for all help an information.

We got it down to two ships. One of them was the Adventure of the ocean which had more ports and was going to three islands in the Carribean, where we never had been. The downside was ending in Puerto Rico, where we have to get a flight to Florida before even two more flights back to Oslo, Norway.

The Liberty of the Seas had fewer and less interesting ports in my opininon considering I have been to all the spanish ports, but is ending its journey in Ft. Lauderdale where we can have a beachholiday (if the weather is not too rainy in November) and probably go to Orlando with the children. And then there is just two flights home. Starting in Barcelona with Liberty is a more interesting city than Malaga in my opininon although I have been there three times before. I expect the journey especially from Barcelona to various spanish ports to be quite cool in the end of october, that is also a downside. And then I hope that the Liberty is a slightly better ship for the children than the Adventure. After all the ship is a bigger attraction to me than all the ports :cool:

We ended up with owner suite number 1650 on the left side of Liberty. Two suites in this category was vacant today. I am hoping that it is not the smallest Owner suite in the ship which it seems to be, looking at the deck plans. Actually we are on a waiting list for the Royal suite, but I was explained that first payment was made for this suite by someone, and it is not a good chance that it will be available. Travelling with two small children, I am a little afraid that even the Owner suite will be too small, considering it has not got a separate bedroom.

I am a little excited already :) Compared to the usual Norwegian familyholiday, it will be a different holiday, and very different from my biggest adventure yet: 5 weeks trekking and climbing expedition in the Everest region of Nepal 12 years ago. Most of my friends and relatives thinks it will be dull, but I cannot imagine it with all the activities in the ship. And after all we will have a lot to do to engage our children :) But this being my first real cruise, perhaps I do not know what to be expecting :o

Your cruise will be anything but dull....it will be a vacation of a lifetime for you and your family. The Freedom class ships (Liberty) are beautiful. Have a great time!

Have a fantastic trip! Now you just have to wait. :rolleyes:

Two things to consider. If the TA stops in the Canary ISlands, it will be on a more southerly coarse and tend to have warmer weather, as compared to Azores or Bermuda. And the last fwe years when we have been in south Florida in November, the weather has been cold and windy.

I was on the Liberty earlier this month and LOVED it and would do it again in a heartbeat. However, we brought our laptop and bought an internet package, but were almost never able to connect. I guess it was a bandwidth issue? That's what they told me anyway. The only time we could get online was early in the morning when everyone else was sleeping and even then it was pretty slow. So if you're counting on a lot of online time, I just thought you might want to know our experience.

Liberty of the Seas vs. Voyager and/or Adventure of the Seas. (Voyager and Adventure are very similar.)

• The Freedom Class ships (including Liberty) are longer than the Voyager Class ships (including Adventure)
  • Liberty's balconies are glass & extend out from hull; Voyager's balconies are built into hull and are smaller
  • Liberty has On Air Club (sports bar during day, karaoke at night)
  • Liberty has Dreamworks and people in cartoon costumes
  • Liberty has Boleros (Latin Bar) instead of the Aquarium Bar
  • Liberty has a longer Promenade with more shops than Voyager
  • Liberty has Vintages (Wine Bar) instead of Scoreboard (Sports Bar)
  • Liberty has Sorrentos, a cupcake shop, and an extra clothing store in addition to what is on Voyager's Promenade
  • Liberty has two hot tubs extending over the sides of the ship (In the Solarium)
  • Liberty has the H2O Zone (a splash park for the kids)
  • Liberty has a videoboard / large TV on the pool deck.
  • Liberty has Chops Grille (a steakhouse) in addition to Portofino's (Italian; in Voyager, Adventure, and Liberty)
  • Liberty has Jade (Asian Buffet) instead of Island Grille (not sure what this is); both are next to the Windjammer
  • Liberty has two teen areas, instead of one on Voyager & Adventure
  • Liberty has a Florider (surfing simulator that looks exciting)
  • Voyager / Adventure have Adventure Beach (children's splash area in back of ship; smaller than H2O Zone; partially covered)
  • Voyager / Adventure have a larger putt-putt golf area than Liberty

Archived