cruising up the coast weather in May

Gingee

Thanks Riverside. I hear so many people say how this direction (San Diego to Vancouver) is so rough I was beginning to wonder why people even go on them. LOL

I think that one reason it 'appears' rough to a lot of folk, is because one has to sail along the coast - south to north - when the Pacific swells, along the coast, come predominately from the west to the east, therfore necessitating the ship to run in the trough of the swells. This causes the ships to 'roll' more than any other time at sea. And, as I said in the previous post, there certainly is no need for fear. And, if you feel 'queasy' at the motion, make sure you locate yourself somwhere where you can see outside, and keep your eyes on the horizon. Also, stay as close to the middle of the ship as you can, and on the lowere decks (will be far less feeling of motion in those locations, which should also guide one to their cabin selection).

BTW, our cabin, this May, is very near the bow of the ship, and 2nd deck from the upper decks.......and, I know, you don't understand......LOLOL :D

Unfortunately our room is on deck eight but in the middle of the ship (close to the mid stairs). Couldn't really get much lower last year when we booked. I wanted a balcony and that was the best I could do.

You need to be aware that there are no "official" shipping lanes in most parts of the world's oceans.

Except for approaches to very busy harbors, narrow channels, or canals, most ships go wherever they want.

The State of California has passed some very controversial laws recently, trying to control ships that sail off the California Coast.

Despite the fact that US Territorial waters extend only 12 miles off the coast, California claims jurisdiction over all waters up to 24 miles off the coast, and are trying to pass a new law that gives them control out to 45 miles.

To avoid any legal hassles with California, most ships pass by the state at a safe distance.

That's why they sail so far from the coast.

Due to the earth's curvature, the horizon at sea is anywhere from 13 miles to 15 miles away.

This is why you will rarely see land while cruising off the California Coast.

Oh someone else mentioned that the ships go sixty to eighty miles into the shipping lanes. Seems awfully far out for this trip.

Riverside, when is your cruise?

Gingee.....we are sailing on May 3rd - 10 night San Diego to Vancouver on the Millenium.

Some of the reasons a lot of boats - not only cruise ships - sail that far off coast is because of less tidal action away from shore; generally speaking, winds, too, are somewhat less off-shore. So, with lesser tide action and, to a degree, lesser winds, there is less chance of 'swell' build-up. And, the obvious deeper waters at that distance, also help to minimize any swell. (Believe it, or not, many smaller boats such as tugs, and fishboats, if not able to reach shelter in a safe time when a storm is bearing down, will head off-shore for deeper waters - it can be qite a bit easier 'ride' for them.)

Could be foggy, although that isn't a prime time for fog, at least not on the California coast.

It will be cool, and it could be a bit rough, as that area is known for it.

We did the route there in May 2008. We had 70+ mph winds. Slept thru most of it.

May 2009 we were coming from Hawaii and 700 west of Washington state we had a steady West 65 knot winds for 2 days. All decks were closed because of blowing spray and the seas were 35 feet. As we had tail waves, it wasn't too bad- we were going with the waves. . We were only going 7 knots but the wind was pushing us 20+ knots. We got into the Straight of Juan De fuca 6hours early. The ship was 50% Aussies and they seen their first snow on the hills in Washington as the freezing level was only 1,500 ft. It can be cold and the seas 20+ feet is the norm.

• 2 weeks later...

The night out of San Fran heading North was when we experienced rough seas. I would hate to think what it would have been like without stabilizers. I don't recall the size of the waves, I should....I was constently checking the weather and navigation report on the tv in our stateroom. All I remember is waking up to it being rough, and there being alot of ship noise....creeking, banging. The captain did make an announcement the following day explaining why it had been so rough. He said that we had a lot of distance to travel in a day so he had to go as fast as he could, and the waves and near gialforce winds weres hitting us on an angle from the side. He also explained that large waves often come in groups of three and that sometimes the third wave in the group is quite a bit bigger than the others and this is when we really felt the ship move.

I will have to say, it was an experience.....but it won't stop me from cruising!

I have been watching the waves and they do come from different directions all right. How long did your rough waters last?

Hi Gingee,

We left San Fran at 10pm. I was awake by 2am, the ship was rock'n and roll'n until mid afternoon the following day. As the day progressed and we headed North to Astoria, the weather was more cooperative. By dinner time, you could still fell the waves but the seas weren't rough anymore, just 'normal' motion.

Just off the Golden from LA. Started on Wed 4 pm and by 8 pm on Thursday it was beginning to rock. On Friday it stayed rocky until 3 pm or so. (passing by Columbia River mouth)

Saturday we were in Vancouver. Yes, coming up north is known to be rough. Bring your Bonine.

• 2 weeks later...

Well we made it through the cruise without any major waves. The first night out of San Francisco (around l:30 a.m.), I woke up and kept rolling into my husband. Just lasted a short time. Another woman said her room was creaking so bad that she turned the light on to make sure nothing was coming down. It wasn't.

Well we made it through the cruise without any major waves. The first night out of San Francisco (around l:30 a.m.), I woke up and kept rolling into my husband. Just lasted a short time. Another woman said her room was creaking so bad that she turned the light on to make sure nothing was coming down. It wasn't.

Hi Gingee, sorry we never met. Hope you had a good cruise:)

I had a wonderful time:D and I miss the ship:(..been a long week

at home:rolleyes:....I am going through cruise withdrawls....:eek:

Just got off the Sapphire 7n cruise. We had flat seas the whole time except the night from Santa Barbara to San Francisco. We were rocking and rolling there (and we were midship cabins). It was creaking so loud in our room that we both ended up putting on ear plugs. We didn't get sea sick, but then again, we are usually ok with rough seas. Once we sailed out of San Fran, it was flat as could be the entire way up the coast. We had fabulous weather with sun in all ports (yep, even in Seattle) except Astoria, where it was cool and rainy but still beautiful.

Katherine

I never got a notice when the get together was so I didn't get to meet you guys. I guess the mystery will continue. LOL

Hi, it was Sunday morning at 11:30 up in the Hemisphere Lounge. There

were alot of people, but in my opinion it was not very friendly (I have

been to others where everyone was very outgoing) not the case here.

I had a totally wonderful cruise though:D:)

Just got off the Sapphire 7n cruise. We had flat seas the whole time except the night from Santa Barbara to San Francisco. We were rocking and rolling there (and we were midship cabins). It was creaking so loud in our room that we both ended up putting on ear plugs. We didn't get sea sick, but then again, we are usually ok with rough seas. Once we sailed out of San Fran, it was flat as could be the entire way up the coast. We had fabulous weather with sun in all ports (yep, even in Seattle) except Astoria, where it was cool and rainy but still beautiful.

Katherine

Hi Katherine:) we must have gotten the sunny day in Astoria;)

it was a beautiful day when we were there! It rained both days

in San Francisco for us:eek: but I still had a wonderful cruise:D

I agree. I am not concerned about gray skies, it's extremely rough seas that get to me. I am still looking into it.

We had that one night (SB to SFO). It was from around 6pm till around 6am as we approached San Fran. The rest of the time, the waters were flat as a lake!

Here are some pix from our San Francisco stop on the Sapphire last week...

Welcome back, Gingee, and glad you had a good, and somewhat, calm trip. Hope you never let the thought of some stormy weather stop you from cruising, but hope all your future cruises be 'flat'. :)

Archived