I know about pick pockets but.....

cruisemontreal

.....and they hang out on buses and subways frequented by tourists....;)

When we were on a tour in 2009 our guide would tell us to "move in closer" which was her way of saying (prearranged) there are people crowding around us--in other words--they may be pickpockets...........:mad:

As far as airport and travel documents, we will have those on us until we get to the hotel and hoping to check in early to put valuables in the safe early. If not, we will ask them to put the documents in the hotel safe that we don't want to carry around.

I haven't felt unsafe in a USA airport, but I'm always wary near a port, where there's a transient population. There have been problems in Barcelona airport, where you drop your guard after coming through immigration. There's lots of displaced people in Europe right now- and with the troubles in the Arab world, this will grow- and a passport is worth big money.

Jo.

My DH and I have travelled all over the world and maybe we've been lucky, but we've never been pickpocketed. There've been a couple of times when we've been targeted. I carry a bag similar to this one http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/53797?feat=847-GN1. It goes over my shoulder so no one rip it off and everything is in front of me. I can get my passport and travel documents out quickly when needed and yet keep them very secure when on a plane or train. DH carries a waist-pack with credit card, money and we each have copies of the cards the other one is carrying.

The biggest thing that people have stated is to look like you know where you are going. Figure out which way you need to go before you leave a restaurant, store, train station, etc.

For most american's travelling in foreign countries there's not much you can do to avoid looking like a tourist. Just use your commons sense, pay attention to where you are and your surroundings.

And when you are on your cruise and the CD tells you not to get in a taxi unless it's one with a certain mark, listen to them. THey are not telling you this to make extra money for the cruise line - it's because these are official taxis and they are safe.

We do agree with the commet about just being "street smart." Common sense goes a long way when it comes to personal security. Are there pickpockets/pursesnatchers in Europe? Absolutely..and the gypsies are probably the best. That being said, we have traveled in Europe for over thirty years (on cruises and on driving vacations) and have never lost a thing. Most (not all) victims are simply careless and do not use common sense. As an example, we saw a woman on the Ramblas (Barcelona) have her purse snatched...because she had simply put it under her chair in an outdoor cafe. Several of us intervened and got the purse back and when it was returned to the lady she was not even aware it had been taken. We also see men carrying wallets in their rear pants pocket...which is like an invitation to any pickpocket. As to women, we see some women carrying purses on a single shoulder (cross shoulder is much more secure) and sometimes you will see the purse wide open with a wallet sticking out. And then there are the folks who simply must show the world they have expensive jewelry and watches. My wife collects good earrings but when she travels she only takes one pair of simple (but nice) gold earrings. My good watch is always locked in a hotel or cruise ship safe and I only wear my cheap Casio when on the street or at the beach. As to luggage, the basic rule is to never, ever leave your luggage unattended. If we are driving through Europe and have luggage in our car, one of us always stays with the car if at a reststop. For men that carry wallets (I usually do) it should be in a front pocket and have a couple of wide rubber bands around the wallet (this trick was taught to us by a Secret Service agent). And keep in mind that a Passport is one of the most valuable documents (sometimes worth over $10,000 on the black market) so if you carry this vital document (many of us perfer to leave it locked in a safe) you should have a very secure method such as a passport holder secured under a shirt.

As to not looking like a tourist (prior post) the reality is that anyone asking the question about pickpockets will always look like a tourist :) Do not bother trying to look like a European because it just does not work. So be yourself, but always be alert to your surroundings and take reasonable precautions with your valuables. The professional thieves always look for the "easy mark" so do not be easy!

Hank

Okay Hank, I'll bite. What is the benefit of the rubber bands?

Geez Euro, have never known you to bite! The concept is so darn simple most never thought of it (including me). Pickpockets are very good at sliding a wallet out of a pocket without the victim having a clue. Try putting a couple of large rubber bands around your wallet and slide it out of your pocket. That rubber makes it very difficult. But since you asked there is more to the story. The Secret Service Agent we met (on a 14 day river cruise) used to be on the White House Presidential Detail and retired as the #2 agent in the WH where he worked for over 35 years. He had us all laughing one night when he said that years ago Secret Service Agents would sometimes get their own pockets picked because they were always looking around at eyes and hands and never let themselves get distracted (by even pickpockets). So they started using rubber bands to protect their own wallets. Not sure the tale is totally true, but the retired agent sure was convincing.

Hank

Archived