Smoking on the Marina?

Gracarlo

I have never been on a cruise before, and searching for information on a place to have a cigar two areas were described, but mostly in context of how to avoid them and smelling any smoke.

Are the areas indoor or outdoor, comfortable to sit, or holding pens like in airports?

I am going on the April 26 cruise from Rome. Any smoking chess players?

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Are the areas indoor or outdoor, comfortable to sit, or holding pens like in airports?

One of each and both appear to be comfortable. especially inside. From reading the various threads you'll know that the inside area is in Horizons and as nice as the rest of Horizons though in a rear corner)

Outside is, well outside. It is on the pool deck also in a corner. Neither area are like those glass cages at airports.

It *might* be that cigars are for smoking outside. There is mention of smoking restrictions in your documentation I am pretty sure.

Not that I am saying you would but being new to O do be aware they take smoking on balconies and cabins as a very serious safety infraction.

I am going on the April 26 cruise from Rome. Any smoking chess players?

Those in the smoking areas appeared to be quite social. You may get a game. If haven't already, find your cruise in the Roll Call section and see if there are others on your cruise who play chess.

I suspect that YoHoHo is right that you could find smoking chess players ...

But not in the card room! No smoking allowed there ...

If you haven't figured it out yet, most of us who are Oceania regulars are really hostile to cigar smoke especially. (Not hostile to cigar smokers per se.)

Mura

On Marina it looked like they had 3 or 4 tables in the smoking section

It appeared to be smaller area than on the small ships

Cigar and pipe smoking is relegated to the outside smoking area on the pool deck only

enjoy the cruise

Lyn

No need to be hostile. Thanks for the information.

Don't think the answer was hostile.

Oceania draws the people that it does because of it's food and service and also because of it's very strict smoking policy and no children's activities. Most smokers don't cruise on O but rather Holland America or other lines that cater to them.;)

I didn't think the answer was hostile either, but then we aren't smokers. That's one reason why we sail on Oceania. People who are smokers (especially cigar smokers) need to try to understand better how much any smoke bothers non-smokers ... and if we don't like cigarette smoke, we really don't like cigar smoke. I'm not accusing the OP here although it may sound like I am.

So searching for cigar smokers on Oceania might be counter-productive. Not that you won't find them... you just won't find many!

It has struck me over the years that smokers really don't understand that those of us who are not smokers can smell the smoke, even if you aren't holding a cigarette. A close friend was just like that -- until she quit smoking. And now she is the most intolerant person of cigarette smoke that I know.

I know of another smoker who took an Oceania cruise (or maybe it was Renaissance) in the hopes that it would force him to quit. I'm not sure if that worked or not ...

Both Marina's smoking areas are pleasant and neither was at all crowded when we were aboard. I don't smoke either, but I walked past both smoking areas on an almost daily basis. The smoke is well taken care of and if you just time your breathing correctly as you walk that 5-6' past the entrances to both areas you won't even notice.

That's good to hear. On the "R" ships I have on a few occasions walked underneath the smoking area above and was shocked with the smell of smoke ... and then I realized I was underneath the smoking area. It certainly wasn't horribly offensive, other than I personally would prefer it weren't there at all. But I was able to deal with it, especially since I was walking PAST the area.

Perhaps they have managed to improve the areas on the new ships. It's not intolerable on the "R" ships but for those of us who sailed on the ships when it was totally non-smoking (yes, I know people violated the rules back then as well) would prefer the ship were totally non-smoking. (I don't claim to speak for everybody.)

But I can live with the current policy.

It's a lot better than on the other ships we've been on where the smoking policy was far more liberal (in favor of the smokers).

Gracarlo,

We have always met very nice people in the smoking section. The outdoor section is on the starboard side of the pool deck right outside the doors that lead to the spa. I think there were 6 teak tables with chairs. Bartenders are always close by in case you need a soda or a drink. In the evening, you will find many of the musicians and or ship's officers socializing (and smoking) with the passengers. See you there!

Gracarlo,

We have always met very nice people in the smoking section. The outdoor section is on the starboard side of the pool deck right outside the doors that lead to the spa. I think there were 6 teak tables with chairs. Bartenders are always close by in case you need a soda or a drink. In the evening, you will find many of the musicians and or ship's officers socializing (and smoking) with the passengers. See you there!

Is this why Oceania can't or won't discontinue or further restrict the smoking areas on the ships, because they hire smokers?

Is that also why the smoking area is at the forward part of the ship so that it can drift backwards over the pool deck, because the officers tend to be at the front of the ship?

Is the pool bar smoking or non-smoking?

Is this why Oceania can't or won't discontinue or further restrict the smoking areas on the ships, because they hire smokers?

Is that also why the smoking area is at the forward part of the ship so that it can drift backwards over the pool deck, because the officers tend to be at the front of the ship?

Is the pool bar smoking or non-smoking?

It is NON SMOKING as are all other areas of the ship with exception of the two designated smoking areas.:)

Archived