2012 trip to Mediterranean

geranium1952

I'm beginning to plan a cruise to the mediterranean for my 30 year old daughter and myself, and am looking for planning advice for a 10-12 day cruise, which lines seem to be best, and which ports work well. We're flexible on ports, but she does not want to go to Venice.....where do I start?

Decide where you want to go. Then you can either visit a brick and mortar travel agency and discuss what you like and don't like and get recommendations and information (you don't have to book through them), or simply visit each cruiseline's webpage and see what they are offering. Not all lines will have all cruises for 2012 available yet.

What's best for some people, won't work for others.

It might make it a little easier if you first narrow it down to Eastern Med or Western Med. Then look at the ports you would like to visit. Med cruises are 7 - 12 days long, and of course port intensive.:)

Depending on where you are flying in from, fly in at least one day prior to your cruise and perhaps a day after disembarkation.

Only you can choose what is best for you. Go to an on-line website, put in Med 2012 and see what is available.

We wanted to do Italy and Greece. Found Grand Princess that did Rome, Livorno, Naples & Venice for Italy. Athens, Olympia, Mykonos, Santorini and Corfu for Greece. With Monte Carlo and Kusadasi Turkey thrown in just for fun. 12 night cruise with 3 days pre-cruise in Rome and 3 days Post cruise in Venic, then 2 more days in Paris. It was awesome.

You spend so much to get there, stay as long as you can afford. I usually try for 3 weeks whenever I go to Europe. The exchange rate does take it's toll. Plan a budget then double it, I was hopeing to do it for $4000 pp but it ended up costing us $6000.

Have fun planning, then taking your cruise.

Welcome to CC,

What is best ship? I think the best ship/cruise depends on what ports are your dream places to visit. European IMHO is all about the ports, pick the ones you like and find the ship that stops at the most of them.

I found this site ( http://www.europeportreviews.com/ ) a good place to start as many ports are far away from attractions; Rome, Florence come to mind two places that are a distance from port.

Why be flexible about ports, what good is a great ship but not the best ports?

Happy planning!

I'm beginning to plan a cruise to the mediterranean for my 30 year old daughter and myself, and am looking for planning advice for a 10-12 day cruise, which lines seem to be best, and which ports work well. We're flexible on ports, but she does not want to go to Venice.....where do I start?

Archived