Dinner Guest

BlackJack2

Just Curious!! I’ve noticed that on some formal nights a member of the cruise staff or a ship’s officer has joined a table for dinner in the dining room. Are the tables randomly picked? Can someone shed more information on this topic?

The only time an officer graced our table on formal nights

was when I, and other guests at the table, were in suites.

It was, however, also a large table - which might have made

a difference in the decision. He was very delightful company.

And quite a coincidence because the officer was the

Security Officer that cruise. We

found we had a lot in common since he had been a Police

Officer in Anchorage, AK many years ago. It was

the same time period I had spent visiting my parents in

Anchorage - quite a few years prior. Quite enjoyable

catching up on the City and the numerous changes

over the years.

While on the Zuiderdam last year on an Inside Passage cruise, the manager of the Mirabella shop was our table host. We had no advance notice, nor were we advised as to how we were selected. There were 5 of us at a 6-top table. He ordered wine for the table and was very chatty. Of course, at some point, the conversation got around to the Mirabella shop and he invited us to come by for a private showing.....which we declined.

It has absolutely nothing to do with being in a suite from a pax standpoint. As an officer, you inform the dining room manager that you are interested in hosting a table on formal night(s). The DRM will select the table (usually a six or eight person table) and will ensure that there is an extra chair and place setting. The officer will then host the table and provide wine for those who wish to partake.

It has absolutely nothing to do with being in a suite from a pax standpoint. As an officer, you inform the dining room manager that you are interested in hosting a table on formal night(s). The DRM will select the table (usually a six or eight person table) and will ensure that there is an extra chair and place setting. The officer will then host the table and provide wine for those who wish to partake.

Have you ever considered creating macros for easy access to some of your more popular answers? ;)

That reminds me, I wasn't planning to ask in advance (Ed. note: Sure you weren't:rolleyes:), but as long as everyone else does, and you don't seem to mind (:confused:): Any idea who will be captaining the Zuiderdam for her repositioning cruise departing April 22? Or any of the other officers? Inquiring minds...

Have you ever considered creating macros for easy access to some of your more popular answers? ;)

That reminds me, I wasn't planning to ask in advance (Ed. note: Sure you weren't:rolleyes:), but as long as everyone else does, and you don't seem to mind (:confused:): Any idea who will be captaining the Zuiderdam for her repositioning cruise departing April 22? Or any of the other officers? Inquiring minds...

For that particular cruise, scheduled are (always subject to change):

Capt. Chris Turner

HM Harald Brunink

DRM Andre Taufik

GRM Robin Schepers

For that particular cruise, scheduled are (always subject to change):

Capt. Chris Turner

HM Harald Brunink

DRM Andre Taufik

GRM Robin Schepers

Thank you, kind sir! I owe you one. (Good luck collecting, though!)

i agree -- you do not have to be in a suite to have someone host your table

we are always at a table for 2 and have seen hosts go to tables that i know the the people there were not in a suite

also i have some seen some hosts not buy any wine for the table

and -- we have seen tables hosted in the open seating -- especially tables for 8 where the same people requested the same time and table each night

i agree -- you do not have to be in a suite to have someone host your table

we are always at a table for 2 and have seen hosts go to tables that i know the the people there were not in a suite

also i have some seen some hosts not buy any wine for the table

and -- we have seen tables hosted in the open seating -- especially tables for 8 where the same people requested the same time and table each night

That is the first time I've heard of Officer/Staff Host not treating the table to wine. Never have seen or heard that and the only possible explanation IMO is those at the table declined the offer. Perhaps none of them drank wine.

I'd really question which Officer/Host would not follow that protocol.

That is the first time I've heard of Officer/Staff Host not treating the table to wine. Never have seen or heard that and the only possible explanation IMO is those at the table declined the offer. Perhaps none of them drank wine.

I'd really question which Officer/Host would not follow that protocol.

Perhaps an officer/host who does not drink. :-)

Perhaps an officer/host who does not drink. :-)

We have dined with Officers who chose to not drink on that given evening though we had drinks with them other times. They always offered/ordered wine for all at the table.

There is a particular Chief Officer who comes to mind who does not drink but he always graciously offers wine.

Archived