Menu choices

Owlhelm

So our last cruise was...years ago. Partly because of time & partly because of my husband's not taking a liking to the 'fancy' food as he calls it. I on the other hand was in food paradise! The fancier the better. Oh and escargot? Bring it on! So when we were discussing this cruise (150 days to go) he was a bit nervous about eating in the MDR every night. Having learned from the last time, there will be a few evenings we won't. BUT knowing that he can make his own meal will be a huge relief to him! If he wants Beef Medallions every night he can! Or pasta. This will make for a pleasant cruise for all of us! Myself included. Thanks for all the info & ideas to customize our meals! Now I really can't wait!!! :D

You'll have a great time on the Crown, it was our first cruise and got us totally hooked. The service was fantastic and the food was great. You get the whole range of possibilities, from burgers and pizza by the pool, to the buffet, to the International Cafe, the MDR, Sabatini's and Crown Grill.

Happy cruising!

Still confused. I understand in the end, they'll do whatever you want them to do. But what is the intent of the Signature Pastas? Are they intended to be a alternative to the Main Courses? (Though you can also get them as an appetizer apparently)
Originally, Princess' chefs were all Italian and up until a few years ago, pasta was a separate course, often prepared tableside. The dining room usually smelled strongly of garlic. :) So, pasta is very "traditional" on Princess, even though the chefs and waitstaff are no longer 100% Italian. On every Princess cruise I've taken, they still have at least one night when the head waiter prepared a pasta in his section. In other words, pasta is still traditional and a "Signature" dish is highlighted.

Ooooo....Now that's good information. (Not sure why, but my little mind grasped "appetizer or main course", but missed the "side dish" option). :)

And as a further note - if you order the Fettucini Alfredo as an entree it will come in a Parmesan Cheese Bowl - Yummy! But, if you order it as a side dish it doesn't come with the Parmesan Cheese Bowl - boo hoo. Well, now after reading all these posts - I think next time I cruise that even if I order it as a side dish I'll ask for it to be served in that Parm Cheese Bowl.:D:D

I've been on two Princess cruises, the first when i was 13, and the second when i was 15. And i am going on the Ruby on the 27th, and i am currently 17. Now i am a very very picky eater, i hardly eat anything, no fish, melted cheese, mushrooms, you get the idea. But i never had a day where i could not find anything to eat. To be honest, sometimes i ate the same thing every night. Fettucini as an appetiser, noramally the beef medalions with a side of caesar salad, and a sorbet.

It worked out great for me, and on many occassions, ordered appetisers just to try (french onion soup springs to mind) and if i didnt like them, they brought me an alternative.

And sometimes just ordering room service to eat on the balcony did me and my family! Or Horizon Court, the themed nights are rather good, oriental nights are a great way to try out food like sushi!

And as a further note - if you order the Fettucini Alfredo as an entree it will come in a Parmesan Cheese Bowl - Yummy! But, if you order it as a side dish it doesn't come with the Parmesan Cheese Bowl - boo hoo. Well, now after reading all these posts - I think next time I cruise that even if I order it as a side dish I'll ask for it to be served in that Parm Cheese Bowl.:D:D

Whenn I order it as a first course I always request the *bowl* What is creamy yummy Alfredo without more cheezy goodness :D

I am going to now order it was a side with the bowl.

What I've experienced is that if you ordered escargot or black & blue French onion soup, they would have it available for you the following night.

So Anytime Dining (may be there at a different time, different table, have a different waiter etc...) or going to a specialty restaurant the next day, would preclude you from ordering it when you had the inclination?

Nope. The headwaiter will note it and just let your waiter know it was requested the prior night..

So Anytime Dining (may be there at a different time, different table, have a different waiter etc...) or going to a specialty restaurant the next day, would preclude you from ordering it when you had the inclination?

The request is kept according to your cabin number. You just need to tell your waiter the next evening that you have a pre-order and what your cabin number is.

And as a further note - if you order the Fettucini Alfredo as an entree it will come in a Parmesan Cheese Bowl - Yummy! But, if you order it as a side dish it doesn't come with the Parmesan Cheese Bowl - boo hoo. Well, now after reading all these posts - I think next time I cruise that even if I order it as a side dish I'll ask for it to be served in that Parm Cheese Bowl.

Thanks for saying that Chloe. I always read it is an appetizer, so I thought the opposite was true. Fettuchine from any restaurant is high on my list of favorite foods, so even without the cheese bowl, I would order it as a main course.

After reading all these posts ~ I'm starving - Thanks to everyone for all the information over the years. We are on our 10th cruise and you have helped me plan every single one of them. Special thanks to Pam our resident expert. One month to go and after reading these posts the Alfredo is the first entree I will order.:D

Thanks for saying that Chloe. I always read it is an appetizer, so I thought the opposite was true. Fettuchine from any restaurant is high on my list of favorite foods, so even without the cheese bowl, I would order it as a main course.

You'll love it then. So yummy and you should try that cheese bowl with it.

You're making me hungry! On our first cruise I thought I had to order from each catagory and usually left completely stuffed. Then I learned that you can have five appetizers if that's what you want. I love trying different things and rarely order from the "anytime" side because I can have that at home. If I don't like something (rarely) I just don't eat it all or order something else. I sometimes order an entree item as an appetizer so I can sample several great choices on the menu.

The waiters are more than happy to please the guests and by the second or third night they anticipate your standard desires. Our table loved the rolls on one cruise so we always had extras. If there was something new that the waiter recommended and we didn't order it, he would often bring us some to try anyway. That's why I like traditional dining so we have the same waiters every night. They seem to really care about you, and, yes, they are hoping for a good tip. but we have never had bad waiters, some are just more exceptional that others.

Archived