Transportaion from Seward to Anchorage

boltarella

We used the train option transfers from RCI out of Seward to Anchorage airport and it was one of the highlights of our cruise...Google Grandview Railroad Alaska, perhaps this is the one that your cruiseline will offer too.

We used the train option transfers from RCI out of Seward to Anchorage airport and it was one of the highlights of our cruise...Google Grandview Railroad Alaska, perhaps this is the one that your cruiseline will offer too.

Did you have a late flight out of Anchorage? If so, just wondering what you did inbetween?

We definitely want to take the train to Anchorage. I have not booked flights yet but the times I am looking at are all around 10:00pm. If it wasn't for our lggage, I would want to take a cab to a restaurant in Anchorage and then catch a cab back to the airport. Not really an option with our bags though.

Did you have a late flight out of Anchorage? If so, just wondering what you did inbetween?

We definitely want to take the train to Anchorage. I have not booked flights yet but the times I am looking at are all around 10:00pm. If it wasn't for our lggage, I would want to take a cab to a restaurant in Anchorage and then catch a cab back to the airport. Not really an option with our bags though.

Our flight was at 5:00pm..to have the option of the train transfers you must have a flight leaving ANC no earlier than 1:30pm so time wise you'll be fine...Once we put our luggage out the night before we never saw it again (or had to claim it) until we arrived at our home airport..We could have very easily left the airport and wish we had..Just an fyi..As soon as we got off the train at ANC we went straight to our carrier customer service window which was Alaska Air and upgraded to first class for an additional $150pp..They are one of the few carriers that allow you to do this on the day of departure if available...Was it worth it for our nonstop to LAX...Enjoy the narrated train and try to sit facing forward (first come basis..get off the ship quickly) and have a wonderful cruise !!!

Our flight was at 5:00pm..to have the option of the train transfers you must have a flight leaving ANC no earlier than 1:30pm so time wise you'll be fine...Once we put our luggage out the night before we never saw it again (or had to claim it) until we arrived at our home airport..We could have very easily left the airport and wish we had..Just an fyi..As soon as we got off the train at ANC we went straight to our carrier customer service window which was Alaska Air and upgraded to first class for an additional $150pp..They are one of the few carriers that allow you to do this on the day of departure if available...Was it worth it for our nonstop to LAX...Enjoy the narrated train and try to sit facing forward (first come basis..get off the ship quickly) and have a wonderful cruise !!!

Did you book your airfare through the cruiseline or on your own? I didn't realize we wouldn't have our luggage with us. That is great news!

As long as you catch the train that the cruise lines do in the morning you'll be fine, because the regular run of the Alaska Railroad isn't due into the depot until after 10 and it sometimes runs late.

You also need to know that that if you catch the cruise train that it goes straight to the airport train depot, not to the downtown one. Also, most airlines will not take your bags until 4 hours out. So if you had a latter flight you'd have to deal with your bags plus then you'd have to get to the to downtown from the airport.

You could check into a rental car so you could deal with your bag, or pay to store them at the airport and then take a cab.

For summer travel, it is always recommended you'd be at the airport 2 hours before. You just never know what the flow is going to be like and that if the security line is long, you could be in for a bit of a wait.

Susan in Anchorage :)

As long as you catch the train that the cruise lines do in the morning you'll be fine, because the regular run of the Alaska Railroad isn't due into the depot until after 10 and it sometimes runs late.

You also need to know that that if you catch the cruise train that it goes straight to the airport train depot, not to the downtown one. Also, most airlines will not take your bags until 4 hours out. So if you had a latter flight you'd have to deal with your bags plus then you'd have to get to the to downtown from the airport.

You could check into a rental car so you could deal with your bag, or pay to store them at the airport and then take a cab.

For summer travel, it is always recommended you'd be at the airport 2 hours before. You just never know what the flow is going to be like and that if the security line is long, you could be in for a bit of a wait.

The 4 hour rule can and is used at many airports, but Alaska usually isn't one that does enforce this..Especially when you are using "cruiseline transfers", that makes a big difference....as does using luggage valet when you have that option also..

You can not take the regular run of the Alaska RR with a flight much before 1am. Don't even consider it, since the train can be late, and it does take time to get your bags, add 30 minutes for a cab, can be significant lines. Then all the time needed at the airport.

The 4 hour rule can and is used at many airports, but Alaska usually isn't one that does enforce this..Especially when you are using "cruiseline transfers", that makes a big difference....as does using luggage valet when you have that option also..

Sure if you're using those options, but if you're traveling independently you may run into it. Also, if you come too early to some of the airline counters they may not be open yet.

We have several airlines that only run summer (May to September/October) service out of here and since it may only be 1 to 3 flights a day they don't have their counters open 24 hours a day!

Sorry...AkSusan & Budget Queen..While your information is correct in certain situations...I think maybe you're misunderstanding specifically what TanyaMLC is planning as I am understanding her questions differently....:)

Sorry...AkSusan & Budget Queen..While your information is correct in certain situations...I think maybe you're misunderstanding specifically what TanyaMLC is planning as I am understanding her questions differently....:)

And what is your "understanding"?

Thank you for the replies, these boards are great!

It is the train transfer through RCI that I am interested in. I thought I would have to claim my luggage once the train arrived at the airport, then I couldn't figure out what to do with it if I wanted to take a cab and leave for a couple of hours. I'm so happy to hear that I leave it outside my cabin the night before the cruise ends and I won't see it again until I arrive at my home airport. That makes planning the day much easier. :)

Thank you for the replies, these boards are great!

It is the train transfer through RCI that I am interested in. I thought I would have to claim my luggage once the train arrived at the airport, then I couldn't figure out what to do with it if I wanted to take a cab and leave for a couple of hours. I'm so happy to hear that I leave it outside my cabin the night before the cruise ends and I won't see it again until I arrive at my home airport. That makes planning the day much easier. :)

With the cruise contracted train, which is more costly compared to the regular run, leaves about 7am from Seward. IF you are going to book a 10pm flight, I suggest you rent a car, and do some excellent touring. Works out extremely well and offers you plenty in a short time.

And what is your "understanding"?

Seems like my "understanding" was correct..in that TanyaMLC's questions were in regard to the "cruise contracted train" which will be the GrandView Railroad and does leave Seward at 8:30am and arrives into ANC at approx. 11:30am..This will be easy for her to enjoy the great scenic trip and the wonderful narration then be able to take a taxi from ANC for a bit of time in Anchorage until her flight leaves....:)

Seems like my "understanding" was correct..in that TanyaMLC's questions were in regard to the "cruise contracted train" which will be the GrandView Railroad and does leave Seward at 8:30am and arrives into ANC at approx. 11:30am..This will be easy for her to enjoy the great scenic trip and the wonderful narration then be able to take a taxi from ANC for a bit of time in Anchorage until her flight leaves....:)

This train leaves at 7am, not 8:30am. The cruiselines also provide shuttles between the airport and Egan Center. No cab needed, but the shuttles do stop running about 6pm.

You can not take the regular run of the Alaska RR with a flight much before 1am. Don't even consider it, since the train can be late, and it does take time to get your bags, add 30 minutes for a cab, can be significant lines. Then all the time needed at the airport.

Hmmm. So, you're saying a 1:10am flight would be cutting it close using Alaska RR?

Archived