What's the latest I can get to the port to embark?

NODAK1979

So my cruise leaves 5PM on Sunday. What's the latest I can arrive??

I kind of look at it this way....I don't arrive to the airport 5 hours early, so why arrive to a ship that early?? The port city is appealing to me, so I'd like to spend time there as much as I can.

So my cruise leaves 5PM on Sunday. What's the latest I can arrive??

I kind of look at it this way....I don't arrive to the airport 5 hours early, so why arrive to a ship that early?? The port city is appealing to me, so I'd like to spend time there as much as I can.

You must be processed no later than 90 minutes before hand. What this means is, if you should arrive at 3:35PM because the cab was late, got a flat tire or whatever then there is a distinct possibility you won't be on the ship. This is US immigration rules btw. The manifest is to be in their hands 90 minutes prior to sailing so the ship has no leeway if they want to leave on time.

In reality you would probably want to make sure you're down there no later than 2:30 so that you can be processed. The lineups could be long at that time and it is (IMHO) a frustrating way to start a cruise. We arrive at 10:30AM instead. We are among the first to board and can enjoy a nice leisurely lunch before the crowds appear. Then we can explore the ship while everyone is lining up trying to eat.

You must be processed no later than 90 minutes before hand. What this means is, if you should arrive at 3:35PM because the cab was late, got a flat tire or whatever then there is a distinct possibility you won't be on the ship. This is US immigration rules btw. The manifest is to be in their hands 90 minutes prior to sailing so the ship has no leeway if they want to leave on time.

In reality you would probably want to make sure you're down there no later than 2:30 so that you can be processed. The lineups could be long at that time and it is (IMHO) a frustrating way to start a cruise. We arrive at 10:30AM instead. We are among the first to board and can enjoy a nice leisurely lunch before the crowds appear. Then we can explore the ship while everyone is lining up trying to eat.

I'm going to have a mean hangover on Sunday morning. Not so sure I want to get up early at all so that I'd be to the port early.

My goal is to sleep off the hangover, check out of the hotel as late as allowed (11 or noon, whichever it is), and go get some good local food...perhaps drive through the Katrina devastated areas because I haven't been to NO since the hurricane. And then....go to the port.

NCL's paperwork usually says that you must be onboard at least 2 hours prior to the stated departure time on embarkation day. You don't have to get there early but you do have be there within in their required time frame.

Keep in mind, also, that you have paid for that first day. Might as well get your money's worth! That's our cruising philosophy, anyway :)

NCL's paperwork usually says that you must be onboard at least 2 hours prior to the stated departure time on embarkation day. You don't have to get there early but you do have be there within in their required time frame.

Keep in mind, also, that you have paid for that first day. Might as well get your money's worth! That's our cruising philosophy, anyway :)

True enough, but I don't know when I'll be able to get my wife to go to New Orleans again because my stories of spring breaks there turned my wife completely off from the city. I'm hoping she has enough fun Saturday night to come back but either way I need to milk the city for all it's worth.

That, and I don't want to sit too much on a stationary boat.

Copied from NCL.com FAQ's:

Arrival at the Cruise Terminal:

For your comfort and convenience, we recommend that guests who have not completed their Online Check-In arrive at the cruise terminal no later than two (2) hours prior to the scheduled embarkation time printed on your cruise documents. Guests who have completed their Online Check-In should arrive at the terminal no later than one (1) hour prior to the scheduled embarkation time printed on your cruise documents. We STRONGLY recommend guests complete their Online Check-In at least four (4) days prior to sailing.

Copied from NCL.com FAQ's:

Arrival at the Cruise Terminal:

For your comfort and convenience, we recommend that guests who have not completed their Online Check-In arrive at the cruise terminal no later than two (2) hours prior to the scheduled embarkation time printed on your cruise documents. Guests who have completed their Online Check-In should arrive at the terminal no later than one (1) hour prior to the scheduled embarkation time printed on your cruise documents. We STRONGLY recommend guests complete their Online Check-In at least four (4) days prior to sailing.

Sweet, I did the online check-in. More time in New Orleans for me.

Though it was not mentioned originally, it appears that you are

1) spending the night before is the same city

and

2) will be in New Orleans.

Therefore, you can easily get there mid afternoon. Personally, I prefer to get there with enough time to get something to eat before they shut stuff down as they prepare for the lifeboat drill.

And, guessing you have to get out of hotel by noon anyways.

Archived