Best Places to Eat

Dive4Life

Where are your favorite places to eat in Key West? Personally, I can't go there and not get lunch from Five Brothers. The best food I have found for dinner is El Siboney. They both seem to be frequented by mostly locals with a few tourists (like myself) thrown in. What other restaurants are good?

Other than cuban, what are your tastes? BTW Five Brothers is a secret, don't tell too many people. lol

If you like tapas (small plates) by all means try 915 (at 915 Duval) and Santiago's Bodega (next to Bahama Village Laundry). I promise you will talk about those meals for months.

Give us some hints.

Mike

915 is great for a lite meal...I LOVE the "Devils on Horseback" - Garlic Stuffed Figs wrapped in bacon...sounds like a mess but they are incredible!

Other places I like include:

- 7 Fish - the Snapper in a Thai Curry "Special" (they seem to have it everyday) as well as the Red Pepper and Goat Cheese Salad are my two favorites

- Marquesa Cafe for an expensive evening

- A&B Lobster House - their specials are usually what I am for, the Lobster Pan roast is to die for.

- For your basic seafood in a VERY relaxed touristy atmosphere, I like Half Shell

- B.O.s has a great fish sandwich even if its a little too expensive. Over on Stock Island, I like Hogfish

- If money is no object go to either Pisces and order the Lobster Tango Mango or to Little Palm Island - both of these are in the $100 buck a person category for an appetiser and an entree - no drinks or wine or tip

- Abbadonsa is a good place for pasta...if you like rich creamy dishes, their Linquine with four cheeses is incredible - its a special that they have fairly regularly

Have fun!

Clay - a key west local

Sorry - I didn't realize that Five Brothers was a secret. I just know I have a hard time finding it every time I'm there. You guys have given some great suggestions...I can't wait to return to Key West to try out some of them! Thanks.

Still my favorite, Blue Heaven dinner: excellent and in my opinion, the most Key West of restaurant experiences. The pork tenderloin and yellowtail snapper entrees are two of my favorite dishes on the island.

B.O.s Fish Wagon on Caroline and William Street serves my favorite fish sandwich.

Ambrosia sushi is soooooo good.

And the take-out sandwiches from the Waterfront Market make the best sandwiches if you are heading out on a boat.

Well, I was pretty suprised at how good vegetarian/vegan food has become while dining at The Cafe, on Southard Street. The food was delicious and inventive, and no offense, wasn't what I was expecting. Complex cuisine that I thoroughly enjoyed.

Other vegetarian ideas:

• The Sugar Apple - part health food store, part take-out vegan eatery, located on Simonton Street (off Truman Ave). Only lunch is served at this local-oriented health mecca. Great salads, veggie sandwhiches and tempe burgers. Closed Sundays.
  • Wille-T's - on Duval Street with a big outdoor patio shaded with trees. People watch while you groove to the music and good food. Open late.
  • Blue Heaven - on Thomas & Petronia Street, the most "Key West" of restaurants (and one of my favorites), serves some excellent vegetarian offerings including a delicious Carrot & Curry soup topped with a mango chutney. Save room for the Bananas Heaven, their incredibly tasty version of Bananas Foster.
  • Antonia's and La Trattoria - both located on Duval Street, two of Key West's best italian restaurants, both offering fresh pasta with a choice of vegetarian preperations. Plenty for the non-vegetarian items too.

All this talk of food is making me hungry. Happy snackin! :D

Louis Backyard is the best, I think Pepe or Camille's has the best breakfast, Angelina's on Duval has great pizza, and BO fishwagon has a great fish sandwich and I like Carolina's on Duval across from Fat Tuesday for lunch!:)

Ahh key west! I used to live there for my winters back in the 70"s and early 80's! Those were the days! I used to ride my bike to five brothers for my cafe con leche every day! They also have great cuban sandwiches.

I agree with Blue Herons, Camilles for breakfast, or Pepes. Blue Heaven, Louies Back Yard,La Ti Da( La terazza) Half shell raw bar makes the best fried grouper sandwich. El Siboney for good cuban. Try the green Parrot bar for a little local flavor. Enjoy!

BO's Fish Wagon for sure, for a casual lunch. We eat there at least TWICE on every trip to KW. Pricey, yes. 2 Sandwiches and Fries to share cost us $20. But, you're on vacation and it's worth it.

Blue Heaven is great too. We've been to KW several times and just finally got to Blue Heaven on this last trip. Wonderful. Now I want to go again and try the breakfast they are famous for.

Had a good meal at Louie's...pricey, but good. Beautiful place. My Husband and I were in our late 20's when we went a couple years ago and the waiter kind of looked at us like "What are these kids doing here and will they be able to pay." So...I left there with not great vibe, but it is a nice place.

Hog Snapper at Cafe Sole is GOOD STUFF too.

Side note here too...not food related. If you're looking to kill a couple hours, go to Schooners Wharf on a Wed-Sunday afternoon and listen to Micheal McCloud play.

• 3 months later...

Blue Heaven is literally on the GROUND floor so it's definitely wheel chair accessible. Unfortunately, some of that "ground" is sand so there may be a bit of challenge in portions of the area. I would send Blue Heaven an email message and inquire. Go HERE for their website.

Archived