Cannes to Nice by train

rjmaype

Cannes Nice is a short commuter type run, you get your ticket at the station normally from a vending type machine though counter service should be available. I have not tendered to Nice so I am not sure about the layout. the train station in Nice is several blocks back from the Promenade des Anglais and a short walk from the old section of town. easy walking though.

Edited by moyaroo

Thanks for the help.

I initially thought the tenders would use the ferry pier but I see now there is some distance to the train station.

Is there some sort of validation process once the ticket prints at the vending machine?

Do you just display it to a conductor once seated on the train?

There are automatic machines by the trains that adivise you to "Compostez votre billet ici" well, the compostez is right :-) It time stamps your otherwise good anytime ticket. Like buses and the metro ticket checks by a conductor are infrequent but the on the spot fines are hefty if you fail to compose

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, we are going to disagree with Lew (rare we ever do this) since we kinow the walking route well enough to darn near do it blindfolded. From the tender pier, which is located adjacent to the old port next to a parking lot, it is about 1 mile (not kilometer) to the station (unless you can fly over the streets and buildings). It is a fun walk because you can actually walk through the best parts of the city and see a lot of Cannes. But, it does take nearly a half hour for most folks to make the walk. Taxis are not plentiful at the tender area and most would probably not want to take such a short fare to the train station. Once you get away from the tender pier and into town a taxi would do the short haul, but early in the morning most of the taxi drivers are parked and having their cafe au lait!

Not sure of the current train fares, but they are probably about 6-7 Euros one-way. The trains are basic commuter trains (you can even bring your bike) and there are no reservations. The buses are cheaper but it takes forever taking a bus between Cannes and Nice (even the train takes over 30 min). We prefer buses over the trains for shorter hops (like Antibe to Nice) but the train makes the most sense if going all the way to Nice or Monte Carlo from Cannes. Even the express buses from Cannes to Nice take an hour each way...and the local buses can take nearly twice that time in traffic.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Ok, we are going to disagree with Lew (rare we ever do this) since we kinow the walking route well enough to darn near do it blindfolded. From the tender pier, which is located adjacent to the old port next to a parking lot, it is about 1 mile (not kilometer) to the station (unless you can fly over the streets and buildings). It is a fun walk because you can actually walk through the best parts of the city and see a lot of Cannes. But, it does take nearly a half hour for most folks to make the walk. Taxis are not plentiful at the tender area and most would probably not want to take such a short fare to the train station. Once you get away from the tender pier and into town a taxi would do the short haul, but early in the morning most of the taxi drivers are parked and having their cafe au lait!

Not sure of the current train fares, but they are probably about 6-7 Euros one-way. The trains are basic commuter trains (you can even bring your bike) and there are no reservations. The buses are cheaper but it takes forever taking a bus between Cannes and Nice (even the train takes over 30 min). We prefer buses over the trains for shorter hops (like Antibe to Nice) but the train makes the most sense if going all the way to Nice or Monte Carlo from Cannes. Even the express buses from Cannes to Nice take an hour each way...and the local buses can take nearly twice that time in traffic.

Hank

If you are walking the route blindfold you are obviously going the wrong way. It is only about 1.1 kilometers from the tender point to the station, and it takes about 15 minutes to walk.

If you are walking the route blindfold you are obviously going the wrong way. It is only about 1.1 kilometers from the tender point to the station, and it takes about 15 minutes to walk.

Ok, now you got my attention so I pulled up the Google Earth picture and used their measuring device (accurate to a few feet) to measure. Just from the tender pier up to the corner of the marina (Quai St Pierre and the Croissette) is 3/10 of a mile. Using what we always thought was the most direct route (using Rue d'Antibes it comes out to a fraction more than 8/10 or about 1.4 kilometers which makes you closer then moi! So I do bow down to your calculation :) As I was doing this DW asked what I was doing and I told her I was measuring the distance. She laughed and said "its a mile" because nobody walks that exact route.... She said most folks (especially on their first visit) would walk along the Croissette (since everyone wants to walk on this street) so I measured this route and its almost exactly 1 mile. She told me she hates that short route (I never knew!) since walking up the Rue d'Antibes early in the morning is depressing because everything is closed (am sure she is referring to the shops). And I do agree with you that it can be walked in 15 min by a fast walker....but we are used to being on HA where many would need longer :)

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Ok, now you got my attention...

Boys, boys... What's a few meters...or yards between friends. Personally, I have never walked that route, but did some research on a self-guided excursion we thought we might do on a past cruise. We're headed there again in September and may just do it at that time.

Hank... As a side note, we're headed to Provence four weeks from today. We'll be staying in Villa Nova in Saint Remy de Provence, although not in the same building as you. I've been in contact with the owner's representative in St. Remy and she seems more than happy to make our stay all we hope it will be.

I want to thank you again for all the advice you gave me in the planning stage of this extended visit to Provence and Paris. Yes, we'll be visiting the markets at L’Isle-sur-la-Sorgue early on one Sunday and thinking of you.

Lew

Lew, That place brings back lovely memories. You might be happy to know that you are a very short stroll into the town center and there is also a pretty decent Boulangerie about 2 blocks (towards the square) from your "home." And we envy you getting to go that fabulous Sunday market. A couple of other thoughts (things you already know) are Les Baux is always a great place for lunch and the Roman ruins just outside of St Remy are actually nicer then advertised.

Hank

Ok, now you got my attention so I pulled up the Google Earth picture and used their measuring device (accurate to a few feet) to measure. Just from the tender pier up to the corner of the marina (Quai St Pierre and the Croissette) is 3/10 of a mile. Using what we always thought was the most direct route (using Rue d'Antibes it comes out to a fraction more than 8/10 or about 1.4 kilometers which makes you closer then moi! So I do bow down to your calculation :) As I was doing this DW asked what I was doing and I told her I was measuring the distance. She laughed and said "its a mile" because nobody walks that exact route.... She said most folks (especially on their first visit) would walk along the Croissette (since everyone wants to walk on this street) so I measured this route and its almost exactly 1 mile. She told me she hates that short route (I never knew!) since walking up the Rue d'Antibes early in the morning is depressing because everything is closed (am sure she is referring to the shops). And I do agree with you that it can be walked in 15 min by a fast walker....but we are used to being on HA where many would need longer :)

Hank

You're lucky the shops are closed early in the morning otherwise you would never get anything else done ! I live just up the coast for much of the year and spend a great deal of time in Cannes. For the most part it consists of me sitting in a cafe on the Croisette for 3 hours whilst DW struts up and down rue d'Antibes and then we meet up and I have to go back to several of the shops she visited to give approval to the dresses she wants to buy. Why oh why she just can't buy them I'll never know.

Edited by staygulf

You're lucky the shops are closed early in the morning otherwise you would never get anything else done ! I live just up the coast for much of the year and spend a great deal of time in Cannes. For the most part it consists of me sitting in a cafe on the Croisette for 3 hours whilst DW struts up and down rue d'Antibes and then we meet up and I have to go back to several of the shops she visited to give approval to the dresses she wants to buy. Why oh why she just can't buy them I'll never know.

Ahhh guess that comes under the category of other husbandly duties. You are lucky she is shopping on teh Rue d'Antibes instead of in some of the shops around the hotels on the Croisette. I once saw a Villbrequin swim suit I liked and walked into a shop to get the price. When the clerk said it was 400 Euros (for a simple men's swim suit) I quickly exited the store. And then there were the baby shoes we saw in a window (probably near your cafe) that cost 200 Euros (for BABY SHOES!).

Hank

• 2 years later...

Hi,

We're coming into Cannes on the NCL Epic on Friday May 23, (Film Festival and Grand Prix weekend...) We tender at 8am, do you think we will be able to make it to our tour in Nice at 10am? I am worried this is too close...thoughts?

We did a tour in Nice due to the big events going on in Cannes and Monte Carlo, we thought Nice might be the better choice.

Hi,

We're coming into Cannes on the NCL Epic on Friday May 23, (Film Festival and Grand Prix weekend...) We tender at 8am, do you think we will be able to make it to our tour in Nice at 10am? I am worried this is too close...thoughts?

We did a tour in Nice due to the big events going on in Cannes and Monte Carlo, we thought Nice might be the better choice.

I sure would not count on it. But your issue is going to be the tender process more then a problem with the events. The Epic is a huge vessel and it can take a long time to get all the folks ashore. Like most cruise lines, the tender priority will go to those who have booked the cruise line excursions. If using the regional TER trains you would almost need to make the 8:41 (gets to Nice about 9:30) to make your tour. There is also a 9:12 that gets into Nice about 9:53 (if on time). But it takes about 25 minutes to walk from the tender pier to the Cannes train station, and you cannot depend on finding a taxi willing to to that short haul. If your ship is just starting to tender at 8, you may not even be off your ship until after 9.

Hank

Hi,

It's possible if all goes well but you'll need a fair bit of luck. Say you get off the tender at 8.30 (which would be good going). A brisk walk will get you to the train station by 8.50 (maybe you could get a taxi there which could save 10 mins) and then you have to buy a ticket to Nice (I waited 10 minutes in line buying mine). The journey to Nice takes around 40 minutes, so if you could get one at 9 a.m. - happy days. But how close to is Nice station to where you pick up your ? And if you can't get on the first tender or that 9 a.m. train (if there is one), or they are slow disembarking you etc. Could you phone the tour if it looked like you are going to be a few minutes late ? All the best, Tony

Edited by Cornishpastyman1

• 2 months later...

Sorry to butt in, but I have questions too about getting from Cannes to Nice. Cruise is end of June/early July. The tender will be no problem as a I have priority due to the loyalty program. What's the easiest way to get to the station-most direct? Are there clear signs? I am a fast walker.(Never take as long as the time recommended and distance quoted in kms are fine as we don't do miles here. ) Once at the station does the ticket machine have an English option-the only language I can speak. I have a smattering of German, but that's it. Where would I find a timetable online/clear directions etc I'm wanting to go to Nice to see the main sights and then hopefully get back to Cannes in time to wander and see around there too. Thank You.

Note we did try to get from Monaco to Nice on a cruise in January, but found the machines all too hard as they were in French with no English choice.

All reasonable questions. As a fast walker I suggest you just start walking as soon as you get ashore. You would be wise to simply download a Cannes street map and pick your route. The first part just takes you from the tender pier across the parking lot and then up the street that runs along the marina. Once you reach the corner at the end of the Marina you can go a few different routes (all about the same time). I do think the auto ticket machines at the station have an English option, but there are also some ticket windows (with live clerks) where you can buy your tickets. They are used to English speaking cruisers and all you have to say in "Cannes, s'il vous plait." For one ticket just add "Un" and for two say "deux" although the clerk will probably know English numbers and can also understand if you hold up 1 or 2 fingers :). You then validate your ticket by putting it in the validation machine near the platform (it stamps the ticket with a time/date) and jump on the next train to Nice. They usually run about every half hour so do not worry about schedules until you have your ticket.

The ticket vending machines will only work with a Chip/PIN credit card. Some machines also take Euros and some are credit card only (we do not see many of these).

• 2 years later...

Very useful info, and I dug up the post to see if you have anything to update for 2017. We plan on taking the train from Cannes to Nice in a few weeks, cruising on NCL Epic. Hoping to find a taxi to the train station as we'll be traveling with elderly parents. Also wanted to make sure that we should take the train to Nice with signs saying "Gare de Nice Ville", then "Gare de Cannes" on the way back, correct?

thanks!

Very useful info, and I dug up the post to see if you have anything to update for 2017. We plan on taking the train from Cannes to Nice in a few weeks, cruising on NCL Epic. Hoping to find a taxi to the train station as we'll be traveling with elderly parents. Also wanted to make sure that we should take the train to Nice with signs saying "Gare de Nice Ville", then "Gare de Cannes" on the way back, correct?

thanks!

We are not aware of anything changing since those older posts. Finding a taxi at the tender pier, to take you to the station, is going to be iffy! If there are some taxis (never know for sure) they will likely want a longer haul. If that happens, just smile, be very polite, and ask the taxi drivers if they can call a friend who would take you to the station. I do not recall the signs in the stations....but when you are heading towards Nice it would be going towards your right (as you face the tracks from the station. It might say Gare de Nice Ville...or possibly Monte Carlo (the same train). If you have any doubts...simply ask at the station where many folks will speak some English.

Also be certain to validate your train tickets before boarding the train. You do this by simple inserting the ticket in a small machine (often painted yellow) which simply imprints a time/date stamp on each ticket. The validation machines are either inside the station right near the exit to the tracks...or on the platforms. Failure to validate can get you a nasty/sarcastic remark from the conductor (just look like a pitiful tourist) or, at worst, a fine.

Once in Nice, if you decide to visit the Flower Market (we love this place) you would probably be wise to simply grab a taxi from the Nice train station. While DW and I love to take long walks (such as to the Flower Market) this may not be a good idea when traveling with elderly parents. On the other hand, my DD thinks we are elderly...(late 60s) even though I routinely take 12 mile speed walks.

Hank