Attire

Medic 5

We are sailing ion the Summit in a few weeks for just a 7 day cruise. We have been on many cruises but this is the first for X. I am just wondering since we are traveling with our 2 girls is there only 2 formal nights and should I have a jacket each night?

My wife was also starting to put outfits together and due to limited baggage on flights we are just trying to pack as smart as possible. Because I KNOW I alway's over pack...

Thanks!

Rich

We are sailing ion the Summit in a few weeks for just a 7 day cruise. We have been on many cruises but this is the first for X. I am just wondering since we are traveling with our 2 girls is there only 2 formal nights and should I have a jacket each night?

My wife was also starting to put outfits together and due to limited baggage on flights we are just trying to pack as smart as possible. Because I KNOW I alway's over pack...

Thanks!

Rich

You will have two formal nights, usually days 2 and 6 on a 7 day cruise. Formal dress code is a suit or tux for men on formal night but realistically you will have no problem with a sport jacket.

You will have two formal nights, usually days 2 and 6 on a 7 day cruise. Formal dress code is a suit or tux for men on formal night but realistically you will have no problem with a sport jacket.

Thanks Don

I hate to get involved in dress code discussions but...there is no need to spend money to rent a tux on board. On our recent Solstice cruise formal night was overwhelmingly just sport jackets. I saw very few tuxes and even saw a guy with a Tommy Bahama type shirt in the MDR - ugh. (late seating)

Just off the Summit after a 7 day cruise. Days 2 and 6 were formal nights.

Hubby had a black suit both formal nights (the same one), just wore 2 different ties. And on one night he also wore the black suitpants with a shortsleeved shirt. Of course, you can rent a tux, but on our cruise on formal night, only aprox 30% were wearing a tux, 40% dark suit and the rest only slacks and sportjackets. I even saw several with t-shirts and trousers. So, no, you don't need a jacket every night.

The only thing to consider is, that it might be a bit cold onboard, they tend to turn up that air too much, so you might NEED a jacket or something like that. I was glad I had 2 nice coverups with me, I jused them every evening, and still I caught a cold!:rolleyes:

Rich, repeat what you wear on the two formal nights. I doubt your wife and daughters will complain!! ;) Either a suit or sport coat, tie and pants will work for "formal" night. Then you can wear those slacks on another night/s with polo or sportshirt to save packing too many pairs. I personally would not spend the money for a tux rental. Use that money to enjoy the ports with your children and wife!!! Have a wonderful time!

Rich, repeat what you wear on the two formal nights. I doubt your wife and daughters will complain!! ;) Either a suit or sport coat, tie and pants will work for "formal" night. Then you can wear those slacks on another night/s with polo or sportshirt to save packing too many pairs. I personally would not spend the money for a tux rental. Use that money to enjoy the ports with your children and wife!!! Have a wonderful time!

Exactly . . . just eat neatly - or carry a Tide stick! ;)

My husband wore a navy blue blazer, dress slacks, shirt and tie for formal nights. He wore the blazer on the plane so he didn't need to pack it. Many men were dressed similarly on formal nights. We didn't see very many tuxedos.

There are 2 formal nights on a 7 day cruise. You can use the same jacket for both nights.

Wow what a difference six years make last Celebrity I was on mainly tuxes on formal night then they had semi formal so men had to wear sports coats and posters were rabid about people following dress codes. Got to say I like the resort casual better especially with the cost of luggage when you fly

On my upcoming cruise we have 3 formal nights. I will wear my tux on two nights, a pinstripe suit on the third. On the other nights I will wear a blue blazer.

I always dress up on my cruises. There is something special about maintaining the class that cruising has always held. I would not want to see that go away.

To those that don't follow the dress code I say that you are just missing a special evening with your better half. I don't hold anything against those that dress down. As for the wife and myself, we find it to be the highlight of our year.

Thank you ALL for the post's EACH one had great idea's and insight. I do like to dress up BUT the luggage issue is the problem. I will wear one of my dark suites and just change it up a bit!

1 timecruser, since you were on this ship a few weeks ago...is there any must see events etc. and how did you find the ship to be...we have a great C.C. group going in 13 days or so...and want to make sure we use our 1 week wisely! We can not wait to get on board.....what time should we get to the pier? Is 7a.m. too early!!;)

Thank you all for the info....

oh...my wife was wondering about the ladies dress....too...sorry if I could give her a better idea. Again we have been on alot of cruises..but we hear X is a bit stronger then other lines on their dress code. Can I tell her what you wore on the other lines just do the same? Thanks Again.

oh...my wife was wondering about the ladies dress....too...sorry if I could give her a better idea. Again we have been on alot of cruises..but we hear X is a bit stronger then other lines on their dress code. Can I tell her what you wore on the other lines just do the same? Thanks Again.

We recently did a 7 day Caribbean on the Solstice and lady's dress on formal nights is even more all over the place than men's. I did see more nice long gowns (mostly on the younger set), some cocktail and "regular" dresses and lots of slacks - chiffon and otherwise with sparkly tops and "bling". I had black velour slcks with a variety of fancy tops and bling (usually black - "NY black" is always a safe bet for me :)). I felt neither overdressed nor underdressed. Also although the "dress code" reads no shorts and flip flops in the dining room (unclear whether they mean both together as a combo or no shorts or flips flops) I wore a pair of nice thong sandals with crystals on them(i.e. fancy flip flops) every night (only thing I could squeeze my feet into) and had no problem getting in - I guess because I was otherwise dressed nicely.

1 timecruser, since you were on this ship a few weeks ago...is there any must see events etc. and how did you find the ship to be...we have a great C.C. group going in 13 days or so...and want to make sure we use our 1 week wisely! We can not wait to get on board.....what time should we get to the pier? Is 7a.m. too early!!;)
I think 7 a.m. may be 5 min too early....:rolleyes: But seriously, we had to check out of our hotel at 11a.m., and went straight to the pier. It then took about 30 min to get inside into the waiting area, and another 30 min waiting there before we were able to check in... check-in also took about 30 min, so after all it was about 1p.m. when we got ON. Cabin were ready about 2.30 p.m.

About what to see: Difficult one... it depends what you want. I can only tell you what WE did and if we liked it or not... and FYI, we didn't do any X-tours....too expensive...

St. Croix: You come to Frederiksted. IMHO, not very interessting. Also heard from people going to Christiansted that they weren't THAT impressed. We rented a Sun Bug for 2 hrs, think it was about $90. Big fun, going to the beach for a dip, and into to the rainforrest.

Some said Sand Castle beach was nice, but we didn't go.

St.Kitts: We did a Island tour with a cab and ended up at the Frigate Bay beach for 1.30 hrs. Nice.

Dominica: Ship docks in Roseau. The town is loud, a bit wore down and the steets narrow and in bad condition. We WANTED to just walk abit around, go to the botanical garden and go back to the ship... But...another crazy cabdriver, Joey, more or less "highjacked" us going on a tour. Turned out to be fun, seeing Trafalger Falls, Sulpher Springs, Rosea lookout point, & Mr. Nice's fruit stand.

Grenada: Our favorite island!! We wanted to do everything, but since the weather was SO nice we ended up taking the watertaxi, roundtrip $6 p.P, to Grand Anse Beach... what a dream! 2 chairs with umbrella $15 for the whole day.

Tobago: We took a taxi with 8 others to Pigeon Point Beach. $20 taxi, $3 p.P enterance fee. Beautiful, clean but very "touristic". This is how I imagened the caribbean beeing like...

Ladies dress... I had two long dresses with me, one black and one black-printed, both jersey fabric with "tanktop"-shoulders. Because it was very cold in the MDR and bars, I had to wear a cover up every evening, so keep that in mind. I talked to several ladies who went back to the cabin changing from their gowns into less formal dresses on the first formal night because they felt overdressed. I felt perfect in my choises.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Thank you all for the info....

Women's dress runs the gamut on formal nights. You will see a few long dresses, mostly short cocktail type dresses, lots of black crepey pants with dressy tops and basic "Sunday best" dresses, that you might wear to a not so fancy wedding. For 3 formal nights, I take along a cocktail dress and a crepe dressy pair of black pants with two different glittery and/or skin baring tops to interchange. Repeating either the pants or dress. Tell your wife she will be in the majority with short dresses as opposed to long gowns. ;)

One sport coat, 2 ties. :rolleyes:

Make the ties colorful and everyone will look at the ties, not the sport coat. If you are a conservative the Rush Limbaugh ties are very colorful.;)

If you're not a conservative you shouldn't be going on the cruise...you should be sharing your wealth with those who haven't earned it.:p

I think 7 a.m. may be 5 min too early....:rolleyes: But seriously, we had to check out of our hotel at 11a.m., and went straight to the pier. It then took about 30 min to get inside into the waiting area, and another 30 min waiting there before we were able to check in... check-in also took about 30 min, so after all it was about 1p.m. when we got ON. Cabin were ready about 2.30 p.m.

About what to see: Difficult one... it depends what you want. I can only tell you what WE did and if we liked it or not... and FYI, we didn't do any X-tours....too expensive...

St. Croix: You come to Frederiksted. IMHO, not very interessting. Also heard from people going to Christiansted that they weren't THAT impressed. We rented a Sun Bug for 2 hrs, think it was about $90. Big fun, going to the beach for a dip, and into to the rainforrest.

Some said Sand Castle beach was nice, but we didn't go.

St.Kitts: We did a Island tour with a cab and ended up at the Frigate Bay beach for 1.30 hrs. Nice.

Dominica: Ship docks in Roseau. The town is loud, a bit wore down and the steets narrow and in bad condition. We WANTED to just walk abit around, go to the botanical garden and go back to the ship... But...another crazy cabdriver, Joey, more or less "highjacked" us going on a tour. Turned out to be fun, seeing Trafalger Falls, Sulpher Springs, Rosea lookout point, & Mr. Nice's fruit stand.

Grenada: Our favorite island!! We wanted to do everything, but since the weather was SO nice we ended up taking the watertaxi, roundtrip $6 p.P, to Grand Anse Beach... what a dream! 2 chairs with umbrella $15 for the whole day.

Tobago: We took a taxi with 8 others to Pigeon Point Beach. $20 taxi, $3 p.P enterance fee. Beautiful, clean but very "touristic". This is how I imagened the caribbean beeing like...

Ladies dress... I had two long dresses with me, one black and one black-printed, both jersey fabric with "tanktop"-shoulders. Because it was very cold in the MDR and bars, I had to wear a cover up every evening, so keep that in mind. I talked to several ladies who went back to the cabin changing from their gowns into less formal dresses on the first formal night because they felt overdressed. I felt perfect in my choises.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Thank you SO MUCH great info! We are a area reserved at Sandcastle, a group of 20....and Tobago we chartered "Island Girl" catamaran, with a group of 25....besides that we are heading to the beach's you talked about...Thanks again for the clothing info!

One sport coat, 2 ties. :rolleyes:

Make the ties colorful and everyone will look at the ties, not the sport coat. If you are a conservative the Rush Limbaugh ties are very colorful.;)

If you're not a conservative you shouldn't be going on the cruise...you should be sharing your wealth with those who haven't earned it.:p

lol...:p

We recently did a 7 day Caribbean on the Solstice and lady's dress on formal nights is even more all over the place than men's. I did see more nice long gowns (mostly on the younger set), some cocktail and "regular" dresses and lots of slacks - chiffon and otherwise with sparkly tops and "bling". I had black velour slcks with a variety of fancy tops and bling (usually black - "NY black" is always a safe bet for me :)). I felt neither overdressed nor underdressed. Also although the "dress code" reads no shorts and flip flops in the dining room (unclear whether they mean both together as a combo or no shorts or flips flops) I wore a pair of nice thong sandals with crystals on them(i.e. fancy flip flops) every night (only thing I could squeeze my feet into) and had no problem getting in - I guess because I was otherwise dressed nicely.

Great....this thread really made me more relaxed on my choose, thanks again.

We just got back from our 1st Celebrity Cruise - and our 12th cruise in all. Formal nights on the Eclipse weren't nearly as formal as what we've seen in past cruises on RCCL cruises. There were a handful of men wearing tuxedos, and most of the women wore short coctail dresses, not the long formals we've grown accustomed to seeing over the years. And we were shocked to see people wearing jeans on formal night and being seated without a question in the main dining room. My husband wore a suit the first formal night but I let him get by with a sports jacket and no tie on the 2nd formal night. Now, after seeing several people get into the main dining room on formal nights wearing jeans and leather jackets, it's going to be a lot harder to get him to wear a suit on future cruises. All 3 men in our group were ticked off that they were even wearing sports jackets at that point. Celebrity, at least the staff on the Eclipse, are not consistent in applying these rules at all.

Ladies dress... I had two long dresses with me, one black and one black-printed, both jersey fabric with "tanktop"-shoulders. Because it was very cold in the MDR and bars, I had to wear a cover up every evening, so keep that in mind. I talked to several ladies who went back to the cabin changing from their gowns into less formal dresses on the first formal night because they felt overdressed. I felt perfect in my choises.!

I was hoping the interior would be on the nice side and wouldn't have to wear a "cover-up".

But now it sounds like I'll have to pack one. Not happy! :mad::(

I was hoping the interior would be on the nice side and wouldn't have to wear a "cover-up".

But now it sounds like I'll have to pack one. Not happy! :mad::(

Well, call it a "cover-up" if you feel you need to "cover" something, call it a bolero if you're spanish, call it a dinnerjacket if you're a man, call it a blazer if you're conservative, call it a wrap if you're romantic, call it a scarf if you're sporty.... or you can just go without one and get a cold! It's up to you!:rolleyes:

We're sailing as a group of 11 on the Infinity in July. We plan to make the most of the opportunity to dress up and it will be tuxes for the guys and 'posh frocks' for the girls. I agree that it's nice to dress up on a cruise and one of the few times that we get to do so these days - I wouldn't want to lose that.

For those who prefer to stay casual - that's fine and I respect your choice - but I just hope we never get to the position where Celebrity or other cruiselines remove the formal nights because too few cruisers bother to dress up for them. On NCL it's optional - and on our one NCL cruise no-one bothered. That's just one reason we won't be sailing NCL again!

Well, call it a "cover-up" if you feel you need to "cover" something, call it a bolero if you're spanish, call it a dinnerjacket if you're a man, call it a blazer if you're conservative, call it a wrap if you're romantic, call it a scarf if you're sporty.... or you can just go without one and get a cold! It's up to you!:rolleyes:

I rather not wear anything at all. :o..:p..:D

Archived