Overnight in Antigua

glo3479

Can someone help us out... we are sailing out of Antigua in December and have made plans to fly into Antigua a day early... in case of bad weather leaving the states... Can anyone suggest a hotel that is nice with hairdryers in the room...

If I were staying a night in Antigua, I would get out of the St. JOhns area. We like the Nelson's Dockyard area on the south shore. The Admiral's Inn at Nelson's Dockyard is very quaint and the area is pretty. We have not spent the night at the Admiral's inn but have eaten there and had drinks in the bar and enjoyed it. Several local restaurants in the area looked to be good. While having a drink, we spoke with some English travelers that were staying at Admirals Inn and they spoke highly of it. Check out the reviews on line. Most look pretty good for the Caribbean. We are considering one of the departures from Antigua. Wish us luck and maybe we will sail together. :eek:

J.

Jim,

How far is Nelson's Dockyard from the cruise port and airport. We have never been to Antigua so we are not familar with any areas and I really am thankful for your information. Also if you have any other information you can share that would be great.

If you have the time, and like helicopter tours, Caribbean Helicopters flight to Montserrat was great. Flew very close to the volcano and really got a feel for the destruction on the island. Great company and very informative pilot. Lasted about 45 minutes. Don't know if SD is offering this but I am sure you can go to the company's site for rates, etc. Otherwise, we only were in the Nelson's Dockyard/Falmouth area. Maybe we will see you on board.:D

If you opt for Nelson's Dockyard, you might also want to consider the Copper and Lumber Hotel -- it's quite nice, with a lovely open area and very unique rooms. And a wonderful staff!!! That is where we were when I broke my leg up on Shirley Heights and the staff was just great!! Check it out on the web.

Whatever you do, DON"T use the ATM at the Bank of Antigua at the entrance to the Dockyards -- we had our numbers/pins stolen there somehow. Fortunately, my bank caught it and we were ok, but beware!

Vandrefalk

Archived