Help! Dark circles and under eye puffiness!!!

OceanSea

I am only 22 years old so I feel like this isn't fair! In the last few months I have noticed that I have under eye circles. More recently, there seems to be puffiness to go along with it, especially under my left eye. This makes any wrinkles that are under my eyes appear much more pronounced. I think these are normal wrinkles from smiling, squinting, etc. so I'm not too concerned about those. However, I AM concerned about the dark circles and puffiness.

Also, within the last month, I noticed what appears to be a bit of eczema under my eyes right below my lash line. Nothing terrible but I do not know if that has anything to do with it or not.

I am tired most of the time and I started working retail in October and had heavy hours during the holidays. It seems like no matter how much sleep I get I am still tired but if I sleep longer I am less tired. I have been checked for anemia in the past. I am also in college. I am a very anxious person in general so that might be putting stress on me. I read online that stress can play a role. Since working retail I have started drinking coffee just about every morning. I used to drink tea every morning and never had this reaction though so I'm not sure if it's an increase in caffeine.

I guess what I am trying to figure out is if this is a problem that will go away or should I go to a doctor for it. It just appeared more out of the blue than I would have expected. My habits haven't changed that drastically and my anxiety hasn't increased or decreased. It's really making me feel bad about myself :(

Sorry this is so long winded but I am frustrated and thought I'd ask the beauty gurus on here!

Thanks

I would talk to a dermatologist....dark circles are almost always genetic....thin skin under the eyes allow the blood to 'show"...probably, your mom or other close relative have the same problem.

However, eczema can be treated! If that's exacerbating the problem, then a doctor can help. Good luck!

Agreed..see a dermatologist..

But one trick I'll pass on from an oriental woman who does my facials..she recommended using moisturinzing cream and massaging the eye area..gently of course..for 10 minutes a day to reduce the fluids..I dont do it for 5 minutes daily but I did do it for a few minutes and it did work. She said it wa a circulation problem but I also know it can be genetic.

I would also have my eyes checked to make sure I don't have an infection or bacteria problem causing inflammation. Also drink a lot of water. Sometimes fluid retention happens because of dehydration. In children if they have dark circles alot of times it's due to not enough water (can you tell I was trained in medicine LOL) Dehyadration can also be due to caffeine in excess and if you are dehydrated you can also be tired alot too.

I am a couple years older then you, but I have had issues with dark circles my whole life (even as a child.) I have always been told mine is part genetics, and part allergies. The only light my detmetologist has ever had on it was... cold packs. (Which never seemed to last near long enough to be worth it.)

Next time you go in to your doctor it would be something to mention, but in the past couple years I've had a lot of sucess with some of the newer over the counter under eye products. Garnier has a newer(ish) under eye roller. Some stores carry a generic version, and I've tried both the brand name tinted one and the generic non-tinted version (don't know where you are but mine is the Meijer brand.) The tinted one offers suprisingly good coverage and I've found both of them help to minimize the puffyness and the color both immediately and long term. They don't go away completely but the look is dimished and I don't look like a zombie half the time anymore!

Madelinerose mentioned getting your thyroid checked and I don't think that is a bad idea either. I have suffered with hypothroidism for years, and while it hasn't made my under eye circles worse - the lower levels have made my eczema worse! It can also easily lead to you being tired all the time or have trouble sleeping.

All good suggestions.

I fight puffy undereyes all the time. The cosmetic surgeon who did my nose job told me that using an over the counter decongestant like Sudafed (the kind you have to sign for at the drugstore) would be very helpful to reduce puffiness. I use it most days to help combat my seasonal allergies and it does help. The tendencies for both puffy eyes and dark circles tend to be genetic, and most eye creams do not accomplish much.

Cool compresses when I can manage, allergy treatments daily, and keeping hydrated are my best options. Good luck!

Thank you everyone. I planned on having blood work done again but I will definitely have my thyroid checked too.

I just went to the dermatologist a couple weeks ago for acne and I am using some topical gels for it. I don't know if that has irritated it or not. If the under eye problem does not subside by the time I go back in for a check up in two months, I will mention it to him. It isn't severe but it's enough to make me feel bad about myself. I doubt others notice it as much as I do.

Have your thyroid checked. ;)

GREAT ADVICE: I recently had blood work done for the first time in more than 15 years, and it turned out I have a "sluggish thyroid." Within a month of going on medication which is low cost (thank goodness), I have ENERGY, I've lost six pounds without trying, and my hair has stopped falling out!

I am only 22 years old so I feel like this isn't fair! In the last few months I have noticed that I have under eye circles. More recently, there seems to be puffiness to go along with it, especially under my left eye. This makes any wrinkles that are under my eyes appear much more pronounced. I think these are normal wrinkles from smiling, squinting, etc. so I'm not too concerned about those. However, I AM concerned about the dark circles and puffiness.

Also, within the last month, I noticed what appears to be a bit of eczema under my eyes right below my lash line. Nothing terrible but I do not know if that has anything to do with it or not.

I am tired most of the time and I started working retail in October and had heavy hours during the holidays. It seems like no matter how much sleep I get I am still tired but if I sleep longer I am less tired. I have been checked for anemia in the past. I am also in college. I am a very anxious person in general so that might be putting stress on me. I read online that stress can play a role. Since working retail I have started drinking coffee just about every morning. I used to drink tea every morning and never had this reaction though so I'm not sure if it's an increase in caffeine.

I guess what I am trying to figure out is if this is a problem that will go away or should I go to a doctor for it. It just appeared more out of the blue than I would have expected. My habits haven't changed that drastically and my anxiety hasn't increased or decreased. It's really making me feel bad about myself :(

Sorry this is so long winded but I am frustrated and thought I'd ask the beauty gurus on here!

Thanks

Here's a concealer recommendation from someone with very dark circles and light skin. It's Mally Beauty and after you put the concealer on, there's a light powder that goes over it.

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.A62559.desc.Mally-Cancellation-Concealer-3piece-System

My routine is to start an eye cream and then the Mally concealer under my eyes and on any other imperfections on my face. Then I use Mac Studio Fix foundation powder all over my face (this powder has great coverage also so it definitely helps). And then I finish up with the powder from the Mally kit under my eye. I think the coverage is great, but I don't think it lasts me my full 11-hour day (as most makeup doesn't).

It's worth a try and with QVC, you can return if it you're not satisfied.

I have been in the same situation and there is one thing you might want to try against eczema during the time you are waiting to see your dermatologist.

- Throw away all mascara and other makeup you have used on your eyes (it might be infected, sorry).

- boil some water, let it cool in a bowl with lid until it's warm but not hot at all and use a small towels to clean each eye (since only one seems infected so far).

- Apply Polysporin (FOR EYE version, here in Canada we have to ask the pharmacist for this but don't need a prescription. I don't know if it's the same in the US). This will make a barrier against

- Don't wear makeup on your eyes for a while they heal.

If your eczema is light, it might be enough to solve the problem.

I am SO MUCH like you (stressed and all) and my doctor recommended cutting on all cafeine and it really helps (coffee, tea, chocolate, dark soda are among the worst sources). It might be a little difficult for a few days (I even got a light headache for about 2 days) but try to hang in there and your stress level will go down, I swear. You might want to have other non-cafeniated items on hand such as clear soda, herbal tea, fruit to have something to drink/eat because you don't want to feel deprived while you cut those bad-for-stress food items.

Good luck!

If your eyes are very puffy and you need a quick fix, believe it or not - use Preperation H (hemroid cream). It will reduce the swelling.

I was reading all the suggestions and was going to suggest this but you were the last post. I have never tried it but have heard from others it works.

Just be careful with the eczema though. It may not be a good mix.

Definitely get some blood work done. Maybe some iron suppliments and try to rest as much as you can. I know it's hard working and going to school.

:) Let us know how you make out.

If your eyes are very puffy and you need a quick fix, believe it or not - use Preperation H (hemroid cream). It will reduce the swelling.

This used to be true, but recently the FDA has required that biodyne be removed from the US version. You have to buy from Canada or UK to now get the ingredient that helps eye puffiness. I'm not sure why it works on "the other area" but google for more information. :(

Archived