Specialty Dining reservations

jane02

Thanks very much, Ed & Frank. This looks like a great site.

We have an overnight in Firenze next April but the last time there we had four days on a land trip and I'm not sure I want to go back on a cruise visit. We saw Sam Gemigniano and other places, but not Lucca, on that trip.

I'm saving this one!

Mura

While this thread has gotten sooo far off topic (I keep checking back thinking there is some new post on the restaurants) I will add to that a little further to say that the fine folks who maintain the ftroute website often post in the Ports of Call section and do respond to specific questions on Italian ports, especially out of Livorno, i.e. Cinque Terre, Florence, etc. I've found a visit to the Ports of Call board is very worthwhile.

We will on the Marina in October and were planning to take the train to Lucca. Did you find it worthwhile? (We've been to Florence a few times and thought a day trip to Lucca might be a nice alternative.) How did you get from the ship to the Livorno train station?

Any information would be appreciated.

Sorry for my delayed response; I have not been on the boards for a week because I was too addicted last year.:)

I found Lucca very worthwhile. We had spent 1/2 day there a few years back on a day-trip by train from Florence (where we spent five days on a land trip), stopping there after visiting Pisa, and simply ran out of time to see all that we wanted to see in this lovely walled city after the full morning in Pisa.

First thing this time, we walked the walls about 1/3 of the way around the town, visited the Botanical Gardens, and then we basically did two of the museums and one of the walks recommended in our Rick Steves' guidebook. I am a huge fan of his city walks and museum tours. We had lunch at one of the tavernas he recommends just across from the old ampitheatre area. Pucccini's home still was closed, so we did not visit there. It's a very nice day-trip destination from Livorno.

To get to Lucca, we took the shuttle bus provided by the port of Livorno to the large bus stop where the shuttle ended, then the regular bus, a short ride, to the train station. It was very easy, and many were doing what we did. Bus and rail transportation in Italy is excellent, and we have used public transport there a lot.

Sorry for my delayed response; I have not been on the boards for a week because I was too addicted last year.:)

I found Lucca very worthwhile. We had spent 1/2 day there a few years back on a day-trip by train from Florence (where we spent five days on a land trip), stopping there after visiting Pisa, and simply ran out of time to see all that we wanted to see in this lovely walled city after the full morning in Pisa.

To get to Lucca, we took the shuttle bus provided by the port of Livorno to the large bus stop where the shuttle ended, then the regular bus, a short ride, to the train station. It was very easy, and many were doing what we did. Bus and rail transportation in Italy is excellent, and we have used public transport there a lot.

Thanks for the information. Sounds like a nice daytrip.

PS: I think I might be getting addicted too!

Unfortunately - no & no. If they do something Asian in the MDR usually it's Asian in name only :)

Paulchili - Thanks for the response...even though you busted my bubble...:)

LuAnn and wripro: Thanks for the advice. Any specific restaurants you would suggest?

of the restaurant we had lunch in '09...Buca dis Antantonio. One of our CC buddies had read about it and wanted to try it...I believe it has won a number of awards...it was excellent...and busy with locals...always a good sign!! LuAnn

LuAnn,

If I am correct the restaurant you mentioned is indoors and actually downstairs, like a basement. In fact, I believe buca means basement in Italian. Though I know it's very good I'd prefer to eat outdoors if possible. If I am wrong please let me know.

LuAnn,

If I am correct the restaurant you mentioned is indoors and actually downstairs, like a basement. In fact, I believe buca means basement in Italian. Though I know it's very good I'd prefer to eat outdoors if possible. If I am wrong please let me know.

indoors (but with large open windows) and not down in a basement..must be a different one? LuAnn

Hi LuAnn

I just booked the Oceania Nautica Dubai - Capetown sailing. Any chance you are planning to go? I really need you as a trivia partner-- I won't forget a tower of giraffe when I view the wildlife. And just the other day I learned that a group of owls is called a parliament.

Linda

of the restaurant we had lunch in '09...Buca dis Antantonio. One of our CC buddies had read about it and wanted to try it...I believe it has won a number of awards...it was excellent...and busy with locals...always a good sign!! LuAnn

Thanks LuAnn; will check it out.

However there is now a slight chance we will go to Florence instead of Lucca. I just realized that the boat is docked in Livorno until midnight, meaning that we would not have to rush back from Florence if we take the train. More time to shop and sightsee than we had thought!

Hi LuAnn

I just booked the Oceania Nautica Dubai - Capetown sailing. Any chance you are planning to go? I really need you as a trivia partner-- I won't forget a tower of giraffe when I view the wildlife. And just the other day I learned that a group of owls is called a parliament.

Linda

Not currently booked...when is it? Africa has been on my radar forever...safari for sure!!! Trivia was sure fun...and we do need to study up on those "group" names!!! :D LuAnn

However there is now a slight chance we will go to Florence instead of Lucca. I just realized that the boat is docked in Livorno until midnight, meaning that we would not have to rush back from Florence if we take the train. More time to shop and sightsee than we had thought!

will be wonderful!! Enjoy! LuAnn

Well, as nice is Lucca is, there is no city in Italy that can compare to Florence, particularly if you are an art enthusiast!:)

Archived