Confused about Cell phone service on board during Alaska cruise

jeblaw

We will be on the Coral Princess in early July. My DH insists that he will be able to use his Verizon Droid just fine on board even though from everything I have read it seems as though he may NOT be able to get service and if he does there WILL be roaming charges. He needs to be able to stay in touch with his office ( even though it is a vacation..I know!) so if anyone can clear this confusion for me I would be very grateful

My understanding is that if he is in port and on terra firma, he should get cell service from your provider - charges will depend on your carrier & if Alaska is in your coverage.

On the ship, he will use the ship's cell phone communications and will be charged by the ship's provider, not your cell phone provider & I understand it's not cheap. I'm not even sure the ship cell system allows data (other than texting) to be used but I could be wrong.

I have Verizon and have confirmed that if I'm in port and on the ground, I have coverage with my Droid X.... We will see for sure in July.

Actually just found this on one of Princess' webpages http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/onboard/in_touch.jsp

Cell Phones at Sea

Every Princess ship is equipped with an advanced cellular communications network. This network allows you to send as well as receive voice calls, text messages and data services on your personal mobile device. Mobile device service is available for use when the ship is at sea, in international waters and in other areas where such use is permitted. All charges will be conveniently billed to you by your mobile device provider.

Your mobile device provider must have a roaming agreement with Maritime Communications Partner AS (MCP) in order for you to use your device with this service. Not all prepaid devices are supported. Your mobile device must be able to roam internationally. BlackBerrys and other mobile data services may continue to receive messages while roaming on the ship’s network. For questions about your service, pricing or billing please contact your mobile device provider’s customer service department prior to sailing. For more information, click here.

Susan in Anchorage :)

We will be on the Coral Princess in early July. My DH insists that he will be able to use his Verizon Droid just fine on board even though from everything I have read it seems as though he may NOT be able to get service and if he does there WILL be roaming charges. He needs to be able to stay in touch with his office ( even though it is a vacation..I know!) so if anyone can clear this confusion for me I would be very grateful

Verizon has EXCELLENT coverage in most of Alaska ON LAND. All part of the Verizon national plan, so basically free other than your monthly charge.

On the ship, a whole other story. Yes, you will have coverage. But the cost is high.

$2.49 PER MINUTE for phone calls, $.50 outbound text and $.05 inbound text. BUT the real biggie-DATA (emails/internet). Charged per kb-$.20. That's about $20 for 4 average pictures. Every time your smart phone receives an email/update you are charged, whether you read it or not. EVERYTHING the phone does regarding data is charged. People have wracked up phone bills in the $1000's leaving their smart phones on a cruise ship.

You can set your phone to airplane mode to eliminate the data dumps. BUT if you turn it back on to full mode on the ship, all data that is downloaded will be charged. Just turn it on when you reach port and are OFF THE SHIP to dump your data. Then don't forget to put it back in airplane mode.

Checking constant email on the ship?? Be prepared for a VERY large bill.

Your mobile device provider must have a roaming agreement with Maritime Communications Partner AS (MCP) in order for you to use your device with this service. Not all prepaid devices are supported. Your mobile device must be able to roam internationally.

The part about international roaming is incorrect. ANY phone with basic roaming capabilities can connect with the ship's tower as long as the cell company providing service to the phone has an agreement with WMS (Wireless Maritime Services which provides communications to the ship cell towers).

Princess should provide accurate info.

There is another huge trap for American cellphone users on cruises to and from Alaska. That is the problem/risk/cost of picking up serice from Canadian cell service providers.

You must absolutely check your phone to see which cell service is making your phone useable.

Cellular at Sea......your over priced cruise ship's tower and service. Also you might pick up this from another ship and find charges on your cell phone bill when you get home.

The various US companies.....your results may vary.

Rogers.........Canadian.

There are others.

You have to be very careful and very smart about all this.

Even when you are standing on dry land in Alaska, verify that you are not getting service from a ship's cell tower.

Call Verizon and get the global Data plan. You can activate it and then cancel when you get home. It will be prorated and should cost you about $15 for a week of unlimited data. Like the poster above said, calls made while on the ship and connected to the cellular at sea will be costly but if you have the data plan then you dont have to worry about huge charges for the data you are using.

Thank you all so very much for this info! I have passed it along to DH and he is now figuring out what he needs to do so there will be no $1000 surprises!! Y'all are the best!!

I took my smart phone on Princess last summer to Alaska and was fairly careful about keeping it turned off. However, it seemed like Princess didn't have the Cellular at Sea or a similar service turned on when we were in Alaska (didn't check when in Canadian waters). We were in port pretty much every day except Glacier Bay and the Gulf of Alaska, so it wasn't an issue for me. However, I wonder if they have had so many problems with other vessels and people on shore picking up their tower that they just don't bother with it. I can imagine the reaction of some fishermen when they get a whopping cell bill from Princess because the ship was in the vicinity and they had their cell phones on.....

There is another huge trap for American cellphone users on cruises to and from Alaska. That is the problem/risk/cost of picking up serice from Canadian cell service providers.

Wow, getting Canadian cell phone service while in Canadian waters, what a shock.

Wow, getting Canadian cell phone service while in Canadian waters, what a shock.

Huge bills. Just like you get in the USA.

When my first iPhone was new, I learned the hard way about Canadian telephone charges. Won't make that mistake again.

I was talking to someone as we came into Seattle (in US waters presumably). My cell phone started out on a US call then went to Canada service during the call. I hung up and waited until it was back to saying it was a US call. Service overlaps and is spotty in many of these areas.

I think that if the phone is set for local only it will connect only with a Verizon tower (my carrier) - no roaming.

I have used the phone from ships many times in Hawaii and coming and going from our home port of S.D.. As soon as we clear the harbor I switch to airplane mode to be safe.

I'd like to hear more if I'm wrong about this. We're going on our first Alaska cruise in September.

I think that if the phone is set for local only it will connect only with a Verizon tower (my carrier) - no roaming.

I have used the phone from ships many times in Hawaii and coming and going from our home port of S.D.. As soon as we clear the harbor I switch to airplane mode to be safe.

I'd like to hear more if I'm wrong about this. We're going on our first Alaska cruise in September.

Well, Alaska doesn't have any Verizon towers. Verizon announced about 3 weeks ago, that they are moving in (just not sure when yet). So you'll be on another company's cell tower, I know I have read people get Verizon service while they are in Alaska, so as long as Verizon has an agreement with those company's (main carrier up here is AT&T) then you won't be roaming, otherwise, you may find that you're roaming.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Call Verizon and get the global Data plan. You can activate it and then cancel when you get home. It will be prorated and should cost you about $15 for a week of unlimited data. Like the poster above said, calls made while on the ship and connected to the cellular at sea will be costly but if you have the data plan then you dont have to worry about huge charges for the data you are using.

You are TOTALLY WRONG. Anytime you are on the ship you are charged. And data is MORE EXPENSIVE than cell charges ON THE SHIP.

You don't need a global data plan in Alaska. You are in the USA (last time I looked, Alaska was part of the USA). Now if you want to call in Canada, another story.

Huge bills. Just like you get in the USA.

When my first iPhone was new, I learned the hard way about Canadian telephone charges. Won't make that mistake again.

It's not Canada; it's "non-USA" for you. All cell companies charge very large roaming fees while not in their home service area.

I just had a friend return from the Carribean with a $1500 cell phone bill from receiving emails while on the ship. So I would suggest either having your smartphone on airplane mode or off while on the ship.

AT&T seems to cover Alaska, but I am sure Roger's bleeds over when you are close to Canada, just like AT&T bleeds over into Canada too.

We have traveled into Canada several times both with and without 'international' roaming on our phone and really the Roger's charges were not too bad without. But we always add it and then take it off when we return. (not to mention, Roger's gives better coverage in places where you wonder how the heck you have ANY cell phone coverage!)

If DH is in need of the phone, I would look into the temporay adding of the plan, but I do not think it helps with the charges for using it on the ship!

Can someone please help me understand this "airplane mode?" My Iphone has it but not sure what it is.

I want to make sure I dont get charged for incoming texts (even if I dont check them) while on the boat but I would like for my phone to remain ON incase there is an emergency back home. Will the phone ring if its on "airplane mode?"

I'm so confused :o

It's not Canada; it's "non-USA" for you. All cell companies charge very large roaming fees while not in their home service area.

Verizon at least used to call it something like America's choice. Canada is part of North America. You can add Canada to your home area, probably for just a month.

So that means I wont be able to recieve calls either incase of emergency. Thank you for the info!

Hmmm..now I wonder what I should do.

Give everyone the ship's phone number (usually in your documents but also on FAQ sections of cruise line website). You should also give them your cabin number.

Ships receive phone calls all the time from land for emergencies. They also receive faxes.

If you are on land, your phone is on. If you are out to sea, not much you can do about anything until you hit land anyhow so INSTANT contact is not required. The ship's phone service works very well for emergency contact.

So that means I wont be able to recieve calls either incase of emergency. Thank you for the info!

Hmmm..now I wonder what I should do.

People can leave you phone messages (costs you nothing) and you can turn on your phone when you are off the ship in ports.

Just check the icon in the upper left hand corner of your phone screen and verify your service provider. You can return calls on land in the ports in Alaska.

Can someone please help me understand this "airplane mode?" My Iphone has it but not sure what it is.

I want to make sure I dont get charged for incoming texts (even if I dont check them) while on the boat but I would like for my phone to remain ON incase there is an emergency back home. Will the phone ring if its on "airplane mode?"

I'm so confused :o

Airplane mode: TURN OFF ALL RADIO FEATURES (ie cel phone, cel data, WiFi and bluetooth) - as it's illegal to operate a radio onboard on an aircraft (for safety sake)

What you're looking for is to turn off Data Roaming; which will disable data services while outside of your normal cel provider.

OPTIONS:

GENERAL

NETWORK

DATA ROAMING: off

on your iPhone

Archived