Confused about Cell phone service on board during Alaska cruise

jeblaw

is there a way for us to tell whether we are in the network or on the maritime roaming?

That depends on the cel phone. For example on the iPhone it shows the carrier's name on the top left hand corner next to the signal strength bar.

• 2 years later...

You might look into buying a prepaid t-mobile phone for the trip.

Last year I took mine and was able to talk on the phone for up to 2 hours after leaving port since you are so close to land, it only dropped once and I called right back. It doesn't connect to the ship cell nor the Canadian companies(likely it's to dumb) and even if you somehow did no huge phone bill as it's prepaid.

You can buy a phone for $20 and they include $20 worth of minutes, then you can add minutes via card or credit card over the phone. I'm going again on the 25th and will bring my dumb phone with me. Also texts are only 10cents if your just looking to send a short "all is ok, talk to you tomorrow" kind of thing.

I have a Droid as well and used it last summer in Alaska, I did not use it or have it turned on while cruising. I called Verizon before I left and asked them how to handle cruising and using my phone and they stated "You more than likely will be charged roaming fees while cruising but..If I were charged while in Skagway to call when I got my bill and they would remove the charge". There wasn't an issue with Juneau or Ketchikan. I waited till we got to port than turned my phone on and checked for calls from home. NOW...there were other options as well, but it was just easier for me to turn my phone off and not worry about it. Best thing to do is call your carrier, tell them where you are going and what they would suggest you do.:D

You might look into buying a prepaid t-mobile phone for the trip.

Last year I took mine and was able to talk on the phone for up to 2 hours after leaving port since you are so close to land, it only dropped once and I called right back. It doesn't connect to the ship cell nor the Canadian companies(likely it's to dumb) and even if you somehow did no huge phone bill as it's prepaid.

You can buy a phone for $20 and they include $20 worth of minutes, then you can add minutes via card or credit card over the phone. I'm going again on the 25th and will bring my dumb phone with me. Also texts are only 10cents if your just looking to send a short "all is ok, talk to you tomorrow" kind of thing.

Not really necessary. Use a cell phone on the ship and you'll pay $$$$. No way around it. Some prepaid services don't include roaming. You won't be subject to $$$ ship charges because your phone won't offer service.

US ports. Alaska is part of the United States. (goes without saying) any US plan will include service. Exception. Some carriers (Sprint) have limited overage in Alaska. People who have a plane with Sprint itself will generally roam and no extra cost. People who have a plan through Virgin Mobile, Boost, etc won't roam and won't have any service in much of Alaska.

A T-Mobile plan might help customers who don't have roaming (Virgin Mobile) but generally won't give anything extra to a typical cell phone customer.

I'm not very tech savvy,so..if I use my camera on my iphone, are there charges for that? Thanks for the info...:confused:

No charge...or for listening to music. Just make sure you are in airplane mode while on the ship.

I read and read threads on CC about Verizon/cruising...and decided to get the Global Data Plan ($25/month---100 MB) so my wife can use her iphone on the ship to check email/update Facebook and while in Skagway/Yukon and Vancouver. We intend to use sparingly so as to not exceed the 100MB (use #DATA to check usage at anytime). While on the ship we can leave iphone on...no charge unless we make or take a call.....then it is $2.49/minute (which is a lot better than Princess cabin to shore rate). We don't intend to use the phone....only for kids to call for emergencies. Same with texting (.50 to send - .05 to receive). In Canada the calling rate is 0.69 a minute---again for us it is for emergency contact only.

If you do not have airplane mode and do not have the global data plan....you will likely have a large phone bill waiting for you when you get home.

John in NC

No charge...or for listening to music. Just make sure you are in airplane mode while on the ship.

I read and read threads on CC about Verizon/cruising...and decided to get the Global Data Plan ($25/month---100 MB) so my wife can use her iphone on the ship to check email/update Facebook and while in Skagway/Yukon and Vancouver. We intend to use sparingly so as to not exceed the 100MB (use #DATA to check usage at anytime). While on the ship we can leave iphone on...no charge unless we make or take a call.....then it is $2.49/minute (which is a lot better than Princess cabin to shore rate). We don't intend to use the phone....only for kids to call for emergencies. Same with texting (.50 to send - .05 to receive). In Canada the calling rate is 0.69 a minute---again for us it is for emergency contact only.

If you do not have airplane mode and do not have the global data plan....you will likely have a large phone bill waiting for you when you get home.

John in NC

Verizon Global Data is the new Verizon service that works well on a cruise ship at a reasonable price. The 100MB limitation is a big drawback if you are posting videos or pictures. And some of the features on both the Iphone and the androids use up a LOT of data just updating apps and downloading who knows what that phones do automatically.

If you judiciously watch your data usage, you will be fine. Enjoy your cruise.

I'm not very tech savvy,so..if I use my camera on my iphone, are there charges for that? Thanks for the info...:confused:

I'm not sure about the iphone but my android phone has an option to immediately and automatically copy the picture to my dropbox account. Taking the photo doesn't incur any data charges but uploading the picture does.

The 100MB limitation is a big drawback if you are posting videos or pictures. And some of the features on both the Iphone and the androids use up a LOT of data just updating apps and downloading who knows what that phones do automatically.

If you judiciously watch your data usage, you will be fine. Enjoy your cruise.

Agreed---appreciate the well wishes. This will be our first time using the service....hope we can add to future CC discussions on this topic (I searched and read many threads on this topic). We plan to limit the # of pictures posted on FB! Hopefully. :)

John in NC

Archived