Question about Christmastime cruises

irishayes

We loved our cruise so much that we are now thinking about taking our 3 grown children on a Christmas-time cruise instead of giving them gifts. We are sort of flexible, within our daughter's college break time.

I was wondering if cruise lines tend to offer last-minute deals at that time of year? Are the cruises right before or after Christmas usually full?

Thanks!

Holiday cruises are more expensive than the rest of the year's. Last minute deals are pretty hard to come by and might only appear after the final payment date. That's pretty late to be planning a trip at that time of year, getting plane reservations, etc. There will be many more children on board, if that makes a difference to you, except the two-week itineraries such as on Connie, but even that one might have a fair number of children this year. They do tend to be very full cruises.

I was wondering if cruise lines tend to offer last-minute deals at that time of year? No! Are the cruises right before or after Christmas usually full? Yes!

Thanks!

But, we still go every year. :)

Definitely do not go the week between x-mas & new years - it's around twice as much as the previous week. Ridiculous. DW's grandma (95 years young) is bringing the whole family on christmas cruise - very nice of her, but it's so expensive, we're all in inside rooms and are not going to upgrade because it's too much. I realize it's convenient since everyone will have off of school and it's often easier to get off work, but I agree with other posters. Go some other time a and save bunch of cash - have two vacations instead of one!

I've been on 2 Christmas cruises and I don't think I'd bother going on one again... The Galaxy Cruise Director was so P.C obsessed Christmas Dinner was called 'Holiday Dinner' and we had 'Holiday Carols' The word Christmas was 'banned' the crew were TOLD they had to say 'Happy Holidays' I would respond with Happy Christmas.. Most of their faces lit up and they quietly mumbled Happy Christmas..

Save your money have a lovely family Christmas with all it's traditions..

Actually, we are looking at going AFTER New Year's. Our DD does not have to be back to college until Jan 15, so we are looking around Jan 5 for five days.

So we are not looking for a "Christmas" cruise, just going around Christmas time.

And it isn't about saving money, it's about giving our kids something they will remember for longer than about a week after they open the gifts . . .and I have to confess, it's also about not having to shop and spending a week all together.

Irish, For excellent pricing try first 10 days or so December, historically slowest time of year. January first week or two a close second. I always cruise early Dec. Fewer crowds, weather in Caribbean always fine.

I am sure that you can get good deals on cruises in January. If you are willing to wait there will be many ships to choice from. My favorite line is Celebrity because I have just had excellent experiences and I used to like Princess but their customer service sucks- so I am just not willing to risk sailing with them again- not with other lines like Holland and Royal Caribbean available. The only line I'm not that wild about is NCL. The cabins are small and there are tons of fun things to do but I think I've outgrown NCL and their decor is ugly. I've also sailed QM2 and it is an absolutely magnificent vessel but the MDR is sub-par.

So then is the consensus that I should NOT wait for last-minute pricing if we are wanting to sail the first week or so of January?

Or is the pricing already low because those 2 weeks in January are typically slow?

We have sailed twice during Christmas and new years. Once with Oceania and once with Celebrity. We found the Christmas ambiance in Oceania very nice. Lovely Christmas meals and cookies and sweets every day and also a wonderful new years party.

On the other hand we found the ambiance in Celebrity rather disappointing. There was not really a Christmas Spirit on that cruise.

So I would say, if Christmas is important for you, spend it at home and book a cruise which starts on the second or third of January. You will save money and maybe avoid disappointment.

Irishayes, I would say that last-minute pricing is unlikely. Also, if you wait until the last minute, you may find that the most desirable rooms are gone.

Since you are looking at cruises after the New Year (not really Christmas time cruises) air arrangements won't be as difficult, but they may not be the best flights, for instance, you may find that you have to wait a long time at the airport, or have very long layovers. All the most convenient flights will go quickly.

So, I would not wait to make last-minute arrangements.

We took the Mercury holiday cruises in 2009 & 2010. Both times we got fantastic prices and there were cabins available down to a few weeks before the sailing. I don't know if this is because it was either a 12 or 14 day cruise or because it was from Baltimore with 6 days at sea with a few in cold water. The beginning of January is probably a better deal, with better cruise pricing, better airfare and flights availability, and a quieter ship without so many kids (although we certainly enjoyed watching them all have a good time).

I will warn you that you should allow for storms and don't try to fly in the day of the cruise - go a day or two early.

j

On these early Dec/early Jan cruises the prices come down at time for final payment to bargain levels. Cruise capacities remain pretty static historically.Unless you demand the Royal suite, I find cabins all about the same. In addition to saving $$, cruise ships are not so crowded. On the last early Dec. Celebrity I asked purser for an honest count. He said 300 unsold berths. Ships are not overly decorated since people of all religions do travel.

On RCCL, we got a very good price this past yr Nov 29 cruise -- and there were Christmas decorations -- a lovely creche set up and also some Jewish Chanukah (hope I spelled that correctly) decorations.

On Navigator of Seas a couple of years ago, New Year's Eve cruise, there were great decorations but the price was ridiculously high.

Price was pretty good on Jan 15 Celebrity Eclipse. Price came down b4 final payment but also a bit after which we couldn't take advantage of because of new pricing policy.

We are looking at Jan 2012 on Equinox but price is high -- even though it is right after the holidays. Not booking yet.

Good Luck.

Holiday cruises tend to sell out months in advance. It will cost you more and there will be a lot of families on board.

I thought I'd love a cruise over the holidays, but I was very surprised with the number of children running around on a HAL cruise, and HAL usually has a much older crowd. After that experience we decided not to do it again.

Archived