Norway Question(s) 2012 Summer

sldispatcher

Hello all..love Cruise Critic forums!

I would like to know if someone has a recommendation for the premier Norway fjord cruise in the 2012 collection.

Right now, have aft balcony on Rotterdam IV on 14 night, but very worried that we will miss scenery (Gerangier <sp>) as they seem to be all day in ports.

Reassurance/suggestions welcomed.

David

I'm not sure I know the full nature of your question. The cruise will be wonderful. We sailed the Norwegian fjords in a stern veranda on the Eurodam. We were able to see both sides from the same position. If your aft stateroom is on the side, you'll still see lots of lovely scenery enroute.

The ship is in ports for mostly all day. That won't affect your ability to see scenery. This is the main point where I don't understand what your concern is. While in ports you can take any number of excursions to see the beauty of Norway. Maybe more specific info from you what your concerns are will help us answer better.

I think OP is concerned it may be too dark to see much between ports?

Having done AK the first time in September, we pulled into most ports in the dark and left close to dark. It was dark at 6:30 when we disembarked in Seward and for the first 40 minutes of the train ride. We saw so much more in June and early august and realized later how much we missed the first time. We spend alot of time on deck.

If that is your concern, David, maybe you might look up sunrise and sunset times for your trip and get an idea of how much you may see from the ship.

aft is a great palce to be for the sail-out from geiranger. it is one of my top three, so far.

when i did a similar cruise on princess, the ship stopped at hellsyete, and off-loaded pax for an overland bus excursion to greiranger and met the ship. it was an all-day trip with wonderful scenary.

I think OP is concerned it may be too dark to see much between ports?

It really depends on when the cruise is. I have a picture taken in Norway in late July of my (soon to be) Norwegian SIL posed on a large rock by the shore with the setting sun behind her. The time was around 11 pm.

We will also attest to the late sunsets (if at all) in Norway during the summer. In fact, if your itinerary takes you above the arctic circle (such as to Honnisgvag) the sun never sets (we went 3 days without a sunset on the Prinsendam last summer). In ports further south it is still light until very late at night. As to the Fjords, there are limitations where large cruise ships can go, but there are also opportunties (while in port) to go off and see other Fjords and scenery.

Hank

Archived