OK Gulf Coasters, and those with experience sailing out of Galveston...

I'm looking for the Cliff Notes on what I need to know. We've sailed out of Miami four times, but the Magic has me intrigued. Where to stay, transportation to use. There will be minimum 6 of us, maximum of 10. I've read enough to know that it's more conveninent to fly into HOU, correct? Fill me in, peeps! Muchas gracias! :D

Flying to Houston can be tricky. There are two airports. The one you want is Hobby International (HOU) ... 40 minutes from the port, a straight shot down I-45. Airline service, though, is limited. If you can fly Southwest (assuming that the planes hold together) or JetBlue, they're your best bets. Flights are frequent, and you needn't come in the day before. Shuttles to and from the cruise terminal are regularly scheduled and relatively inexpensive. AirTran, Delta, American and Frontier also fly in, although the logistics are complex. The other airport is Bush Intercontinental (IAH) ... it's 90 minutes to 2 hours away from Galveston, and transportation back and forth can add about $150-$200/pp to the cost of your cruise.

Here's the official site for Galveston ... lots of great information ... http://www.galveston.com ...

You'll be getting more information from others here ... keep checking back. Come on down and enjoy!

Al

Cant help ya with the airport issues as we always drive down from missouri...but as far as lodging...you'll have a bunch of choices. The hotels/motels are typically either along the seawall blvd...or across the island near the Cruise Terminal and the Strand dictrict. We always stay on the seawall side..and have stayed in 4 different places. Casa del Mar, Best Western...Holiday Inn...and Gaido's Seaside Inn. There are places for all budgets, and most will provide parking for your vehicle while you cruise. Some have free shuttlles to the cruise terminal...Holiday Inn was one of those, and it worked well. Best Western had the very best free breakfast I've ever seen...at least it did when we stayed there in 07. We've never stayed there, but a lot of people on these boards like the Harbor House...its by the cruise terminal, and you can read the comments about it on here. There are several good restraunts in Galveston too...we like Gaidos and Caseys...they are actually at the same location..on Seawall blvd..one ( Gaidos )is just a little classier than the other..but they are both good.We stayed at their motel last time there and probably will again this December when we cruise. We also like The Spot..its on seawall too, and has very good burgers and other goodies. We also like to eat at The Star Drug Store when we go shopping and sightseeing at the strand. I'm sure you will get a lot of good advice on places to stay and eat in galveston...we like the town so much, we always go 2 or 3 days early pre-cruise just to hang out....good luck:)

Definitely flying into HOU (Hobby Airport) is the easiest choice. Besides being closer it is a smaller airport and much easier to navigate. They now have the Super Shuttle (www.supershuttle.com) that will transport you either from IAH or HOU and it seems to be reasonable. I know many people use Galveston Limo service. Please do check out www.galveston.com for information on hotels and restaurants. There are quite a few hotels to choose from and in various price ranges.

We live close to the island, but there are some Galvestonians that post regularly on here and I know they will be happy to give you more info! :)

The Best Western is near 61st street and right next to the Kroger Superstore. Easy walking there and also right next to Tortugas Mexican Cantina. Walmart Supercenter is right down the road about 2 blocks I believe. There is a beach in front of the hotel as well. Any further down than 61st street on the Seawall there is no beach just a seawall for you to walk. There is a Hilton right there as well that many people stay at. Also a Rainforest Cafe. If coming in early I'd stay on the Seawall for the beach but Harborside is nice too and has restaurants walking distance along with the Seaport Museum, Tall Ship Ellissa, Oil Rig Museum and Seawolf Park with a WWII Submarine and Warship to tour. The Seawall and the Harborside are only about 1 mile apart. Also Moody Gardens and Schlitterbaun Waterpark are great attractions too. Galveston has it all and is a lot of fun. :)

We are staying at the Hilton, since parking and shuttle are included! Also, don't forget to check out Kemah Boardwalk. We're heading in a couple days early to check out the boardwalk and do a little sight seeing....As the boys will think that Galveston is their vacation! We are going to wait until the shuttle drops us at the ship to tell them!!!!!

We are staying at the Hilton, since parking and shuttle are included! Also, don't forget to check out Kemah Boardwalk. We're heading in a couple days early to check out the boardwalk and do a little sight seeing....As the boys will think that Galveston is their vacation! We are going to wait until the shuttle drops us at the ship to tell them!!!!!

We have stayed at The Hilton several times for weekends on the island. Your boys will be so excited when they see that ship! What a great surprise!

Galveston.com has lots of information. You could also contact the Visitor and Convention Bureau to send you information on Galveston.

What kind of coupons are you asking for:confused:

There is a lot to do in Galveston and once was known as the "Wall Street of the South" until the Great Storm of 1900. We are also the only major city on a barrier island.

We are sailing in June on Ecstacy for our second cruise and we love Galveston PERIOD. We are staying at the Harbor House, leaving our car there for $10 and walking to the ship! Galveston has a ton of historic and other great things to do and .............. well we love it there.

• 2 weeks later...

Even the 'In the Middle' couplke, the Heck's have not thought of that one - I got a laugh out of that vacation idea. So, where does the shuttle take the kids after they drop you off? :--)

• 2 weeks later...
We are doing a Galveston cruise in Mar 2012. Where exactly to the ships port so I can judge what hotels are conveniently located nearby.

Galveston Island Map PDF

Download Galveston-area map in PDF Format (note: this is a large, 11' wide, print-quality map, so please be patient)

http://www.galveston.com/maps/maphires.pdf

I sincerely hope this information will be helpful!

Kat 110105_emYA42_prv.gif

Archived