Average age on a summer 12 day Mediterranean cruise?

I am 26yrs old, and my husband is 33.

Would we find other cruisers our age on the Brilliance of the Seas next summer (June)?

I am suspecting that on a cruise this long and as expensive as it is, the average age is probably 40-50. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but we would like to have other people our age to relate to.

Our last cruise was on November to the Caribbean and we were one of the few younger couples there. I guess it had to do with the time of the year, most kids are in school in November.

I am 28, my husband is 27, we are on a Galaxy med cruise leaving on June 21. Like you, I suspect most people will be older than us, and even older than the 40-50 average you mention (not that there is anything wrong with that!).

In Jan. 2002, we took a 10-night cruise to the Caribean and the average age must have been at least 65. This did not bother us, but I think your assumption is right that there won't be many younger couples on your cruise.

You'll have a wonderful time I'm sure!

Last summer my husband and I (ages 49 and 50 ) were with our 4 children (17-9) on the Brilliance 6/29 sailing out of Barcelona. You will find many couples your age group if sailing after 6/15. This is the beginning of summer vacations for European families and many were on-board. We were surprisded at the absolute wide variety of ages. You will definitely find many couples your age group, some with children some without. It is a far different group than caribbean cruisers. Enjoy, it was just a phenomenal vacation, I wish we were returning.

Our experience on the Splendour 12 day itinerary in May 2000 surprised us. I would say the median age was 35 to 40. There were lots of honeymooners on board and one couple was our dinner mates. I was traveling with my college age son and daughter and there were plenty of others their age on board too. Not too many teens and I don't remember seeing any young children although I'm sure there must have been some.

I really don't think that the passenger mix is as important on a port intensive itinerary like the Med. You will find that you are in port all day and on sea days you will be ready to relax somewhere. It is a totally diffent cruise than the Caribbean!

You should consider joining us on the Cruise Critic Group Cruise on the Brilliance 6/5/05 sailing. Use the link below for more info.

Linda

Carnival Miracle 11/07/04

Jewel of the Seas 11/20/04 - Thanksgiving Journey on the Jewel

http://www.cruisecritic.com/interests/groups.cfm?ID=47

Brilliance of the Seas 6/5/05 - Mediterranean

http://www.cruisecritic.com/interests/groups.cfm?ID=51

Palms_in_the_sun.gif

The cruise lines normally try to seat you with dinner partners your own age....however, you are generally right about Med cruisers being somewhat older. I went two years ago and was one of the babies on the boat at 47! Wouldn't change a thing though..loved the people I met.

The age groups on Med cruises does vary, but generally you will find its a bit older than in the Caribbean (especially when school is out), the passengers are a little more sophisticated (don't usually see plaid jackets on formal nights), and the late night activities are not as well attended. However, you should find enough in your age group to keep you happy. By the way, us ole folks are not that awful!

Hank

We were on the Millie this past August for a 13-nighter in the Med...

I wouldn't even guess as to an "average" age...

There were over 2,000 people on board and there seemed to be a pretty good cross section of humanity...everyone from infants to the elderly...

Our dinner table was 4 couples ranging in age from 38 to early 60s--but at least one spouse in each of the four couples was right around 48-50...The table closest to us was all 20-somethings and there seemed to be several other tables nesr us filled with 30-somethings...

On the whole, the passenger demographics seemed FAR younger than when we did the Baltic cruise a couple of years back...Older cruisers tend to like a little cooler climate...

Personally, I would not hesitate for one minute to go on a Med cruise...no matter what age...

Summit, July 3, 2004: Alaska: 13 night cruisetour

• 2 weeks later...

On the Golden Princess last May & June there was a great variety of ages. We are mid-30's and ended up at a table of retired couples from Britian who were all a hoot! We had a wonderful time at dinner with them even thought they were of a totally different demographic than us. We hooked up with fellow CCer's during the day, who ended up being 20 and 40 somethings and had a great time on tours with them. I think you'll have no problem finding people around your age and the 'older' folks tend to be more active then in the Caribbean, since the Med is so port intensive.

Don't worrry, you'll have a great time and meet some wonderful people. My Med cruise was the most enjoyable cruise I have been on. People were a lot more respectful and courteous than on any of my Caribbean cruises. I think the Med trips attract a different clientele and that made for a great experience.

NEXT UP: Tahitian Princess October 2004 (Tahiti)

Golden Princess May 2003 (Mediterranean)

Golden Princess January 2002 (Eastern Caribbean)

Sea Princess March 2001 (Western Caribbean)

Carnival Inspiration March 1997 (Southern Caribbean)

I don't know if this will help somehow but we are going to cruise Med on Splendour (7 days cruise) in May and our ages are 32 (me) and 31 (my husband). icon_wink.gif

------------------------------

Less than 2 weeks till my dream Med vacation!

Splendour of the Seas May 15, 2004 (Europe!!!)

Century 07/12/03 Eastern Caribbean FFL-San Juan - St. Thomas - St.Maarten- Nassau -FFL

Komarno(Volga)07/91 Moscow - Astrahan' - Moscow (honeymoon)

Komarno(Volga)07/90 Moscow - Astrahan'- Moscow

Admiral Nachimov(or Nakhimov) (Black Sea)04/1986 Odessa - Batum

GO BRUINS!!!!

I would agree that people take this cruise to sight see so that the pax mix is not as critical as it may be for the Carribean, etc.

It is not an old group at it is too hot and the ports are too much for the elderly. On ouw cruise in 2000 it was a very sophisticated group of travelers from all over the world. SOme were doing it as a segment of their honneymoon.

Jacqueline

Constellation 3/20/04

HAL Westerdam 7/30/04

Tahitian Princess August 2003

Grand Princess Western Caribbean 2003

Brilliance of the Seas Baltic 2002

Ocean Princess- Alaska 2001

Celebrity Zenith- Bermuda 2001

Grand Princess Med 2000

Archived