North Atlantic waters

SailBabySail

We will be cruising to Bermuda the first week in June. I am so excited as I have wanted to go to Bermuda for more years than I can count. We have been in the North (choppy) and Caribbean (smooth) but never the North Atlantic and I was wondering how smooth the cruise might be. I realize a lot has to do with the weather but, in general, for those of you who have sailed that way in the early part of June (possibly from NY) what are your thoughts on this. Is the water turbulent or fairly smooth? Whatever you can offer is appreciated.

I haven't cruised there but I saw nobody had answered. From what I have read over the years it is a bit choppy and chilly the first day or so. After that you calm down and warm up. Maybe someone can give you first hand information. I'd curl up and read the first day. Take some meds with you, just in case.

We have been to Bermuda and loved it. We just sailed out of Philly in October.

I noted that you said it was chilly and the water choppy but you also sailed in October which is understandable. We will be going the first week in June and I am hoping the water is a little more calm and I am confident it will be a bit warmer ;) So glad you loved Bermuda. From what I hear it is gorgeous.

I've cruised to Bermuda from the NY area more times then I can count. Sometimes the water is calm, sometimes it's choppy. There's no way to predict it. Of course wind and weather influence the sea conditions, but sometimes even without bad weather it can be a bit of a bumpy ride for a while simply because you're crossing the Gulf Stream. We've done the cruise in every month between April and October.

I've cruised to Bermuda from the NY area more times then I can count. Sometimes the water is calm, sometimes it's choppy. There's no way to predict it. Of course wind and weather influence the sea conditions, but sometimes even without bad weather it can be a bit of a bumpy ride for a while simply because you're crossing the Gulf Stream. We've done the cruise in every month between April and October.

Thanks for that. I had a feeling that it might be a little choppy. For some strange reason I never thought about the Gulf Stream.

Here's the question now.... What month is the best month?

The end of May was very smooth for us in the North Atlantic. Not so much on January and March. I think you picked a good time going in June. Just take some Bonine with you just in case, but it is usually really nice May and June. Have a great trip/

Here's the question now.... What month is the best month?

My favorite time to be in Bermuda is from late September through early October, but that doesn't mean the sea conditions will be any smoother or rougher during that period...just that I find the weather to my liking. It's warm without being brutally hot, as it sometimes can be in July and August.

The end of May was very smooth for us in the North Atlantic. Not so much on January and March. I think you picked a good time going in June. Just take some Bonine with you just in case, but it is usually really nice May and June. Have a great trip/

Thank you. We can't wait to go...very excited :D

Did you know that the Gulf Stream is the longest river on the planet? Yes, it is a river.

I did not know that! Tomorrow I will ask my son who teaches HS Geography that question...I hope I can stump him :D I love learning something new.

We live on Prince Edward Island off the east coast of Canada and are familiar with the capricious nature of the Atlantic. We prefer to cruise out of New York because of its close proximity. It really doesn't matter what time of year you sail, just toss a coin... one day it will be smooth sailing and the next day it will be bumpy.

You can check out the current and forecast sea state/wave height/wind for the North Atlantic at this site:

http://www.weathercharts.org/noaa-charts.htm

On the wind vector, a black triangle is 50 knots of wind, each line is 10 knots. The vector points in the direction the wind is blowing. The lines with half circles represent a warm front, one with triangles is a cold front and one with alternating half circles and triangles is an occluded front.

Today it looks like the sea state between NY and Bermuda is generally about three meters (9 feet roughly)

My favorite time to be in Bermuda is from late September through early October, but that doesn't mean the sea conditions will be any smoother or rougher during that period...just that I find the weather to my liking. It's warm without being brutally hot, as it sometimes can be in July and August.

And the water is much warmer for swimming.

We also sailed from Boston in May last year. The trip to Bermuda was very choppy the first full sea day and night, but after that and on the return trip, the sea was smoother. Be sure to bring Bonine, and if you are really bothered, have the doctor give you a script for the scopalamine patch.

We have cruised to Bermuda the past three years all in August/September. We left from Philadelphia, Baltimore and last August, New York. We encountered smooth seas each time. However, we got lucky because this time of year is hurricane season and some sailings after us had some difficulties. On another note, we left New York in December for the Bahamas and that was a bumpy ride the first night. Bermuda is amazing and as far as I am concerned, the most beautiful place on earth! :)

We have done Bermuda from Boston 4 times e/o May or early June and have had both great weather and awful weather while sailing. Just be prepared for some cooler temps and some bumpiness and be pleasantly surprised when you have warm, smooth sailing! Bermuda has always been lovely and not too hot that early in the season. Enjoy; I envy you the cruise :)

I agree with you...September/October in Bermuda is perfect! The seas however may not be perfect, especially if there is a hurricane that's gone before you and tailing behind you. It's a gamble you take when you choose to cruise at that time of year and one I would gladly take!:D

Archived