Hairstyles

piperlee

How do you style your hair for the cruise? Any ideas for wearing long hair up other than a ponytail? I have long hair cut into long layers. I would like to try some cute styles that I can do myself for days at the ports and maybe leave it down for nights on the ship. Any ideas?? :confused:

I do my hair on a ship, the same way I would at home! Usually a ponytail for the pool, and I wash and curl for evening. The humidity is a problem for me...my curl falls out when humid....so it's a real "feat" keeping my long hair curled throughout the evening. I solve the problem by not going out on deck..too windy and wet!

A vacation is no time to have to spend tons of time on your hair! Do what you know!

How do you style your hair for the cruise? Any ideas for wearing long hair up other than a ponytail? I have long hair cut into long layers. I would like to try some cute styles that I can do myself for days at the ports and maybe leave it down for nights on the ship. Any ideas?? :confused:

Something comfortable that can hold up to humidity.

Hi,

If you go to youtube and enter "updo for long hair" there are some really good "how to" videos for a variety of styles. You might find something there that you like. Some of them look complicated but are actually really easy to do!

Andrea

I agree with going to You Tube to get ideas. And if you have someone who normally cuts your hair, make an appointment with them and have them show you how to do some different stuff.

Be sure to take a good hairspray and styling gel/spray/mousse/whatever with you. The stuff in the ship store is crazy expensive!!

For those who have problems with their hair staying curled, try using a 1" flat iron. I never curled my hair because it wouldn't stay. I curled my hair with a flat iron and it was curly the next day. There are a few videos on youtube showing how to do it.

Thanks for all the tips. :) I will try youtube and see if I can master a few updo's and if they are too time consuming and difficult I won't stress about it on the cruise. My hair goes flat in humidity as well, and living out west now I don't have to deal with that anymore. So I'm a little out of practice dealing with it.

I have shoulder length, extremely thick, naturally curly/wavy hair. In the humidity it just gets curlier!!! During the day I usually put it in a ponytail. Before dinner it's wash, mouse (to tame any frizz), scrunch and shake out. I think I'm one of the rare people who likes their hair better in the humidity!!

right there w/ ya.. my hair actually looks better when it's humid,, crazy loose curl.. don't have to do a thing shake my head & let it dry,, every day.. i'm lucky cuz i hate fussin' for hours w/ hair,, there's better things to do.

i say bring a couple clips w/ the grips on them for nite-time so when you go out on deck and your hair gets tousled about, you can easily twist the pony back up & clip it.. i would never stay off deck at night because it's windy,, it's one of the adventures of being at sea!!:).. pony tail for pool time. i even bought some hair combs/barettes to pull the front back for something different... Don't fuss too much on your hair,, wind blown is sexy!!

These things are fantastic for medium or long hair:

http://www.ezbun.com/index.html

They're a wire covered with fabric with a hole in the middle that you put your hair through, roll it up, and fold it in - see the mini instruction videos, they load up quickly.

A bonus for those with straighter hair is sometimes when you put your hair in it when damp, and take it out, you get some really cool curls.

Just a warning - the colors on the website aren't always as pictured though i.e. the lighter colors seem to be a shade or 2 lighter.

hi have long straight hair - i usually have it in braids during the day and a high pony tail with a strand of hair wrapped around the holder. On formal nights I french braid and tuck ends under. easy peasy :)

A french braid is easy !:confused:

Man i shouldn't have laughed at my sisters when they would stay inside doing their cabbage patch dolls hair, while i was outside climbing trees and riding bikes.

I need to do a few more you tube searches. i found they they didnt always show you everything they did. It would skip to the next stage and i'd be like hold on what. I also have very thin fine hair and find it hard to replicate styles.

Ive tried using my flat iron to curl but cant figure it out. I took a way to long nap today so ill be up till late tonight i might have to give it ago again

A french braid is easy !:confused:

Man i shouldn't have laughed at my sisters when they would stay inside doing their cabbage patch dolls hair, while i was outside climbing trees and riding bikes.

I need to do a few more you tube searches. i found they they didnt always show you everything they did. It would skip to the next stage and i'd be like hold on what. I also have very thin fine hair and find it hard to replicate styles.

Ive tried using my flat iron to curl but cant figure it out. I took a way to long nap today so ill be up till late tonight i might have to give it ago again

Sound just like me! My sister would curl her hair ,braid her hair, all kinds of things. Me I 'm lucky if can figure out how to put it in a pony tail. My hair is a few inches past my shoulders and it isn't all one length. So I see these great products but they don't work for me or they slide right out because my hair is fine , straight and soft! sounds great but not much I can do with it! my sis has short hair she curls with a set of hot curlers and brushes out looks fantastic! I put in the hot curlers get a bit of wave and frizz which then falls straight in about 20 min! :eek: in my NEXT life I'm gonna be PERFECT...LOL!

Sound just like me! My sister would curl her hair ,braid her hair, all kinds of things. Me I 'm lucky if can figure out how to put it in a pony tail. My hair is a few inches past my shoulders and it isn't all one length. So I see these great products but they don't work for me or they slide right out because my hair is fine , straight and soft! sounds great but not much I can do with it! my sis has short hair she curls with a set of hot curlers and brushes out looks fantastic! I put in the hot curlers get a bit of wave and frizz which then falls straight in about 20 min! :eek: in my NEXT life I'm gonna be PERFECT...LOL!

:eek: OMG its like we are twins LOL. My mum used to do my hair until i was like 13 and she wouldnt do anything fancy either. Pony tail or half up half down style.

Yep lots of fancy clips just slide right out of my hair as its quite soft to.

My hair curls really well, almost to a point of over curled. But that lasts maybe an hour and then it hangs limp.

I knew hair cut has helped some what as i found a hair dresser who is awesome and understands my hair.

Do you colour your hair? Do you find colour doesnt stick to it?

:eek: OMG its like we are twins LOL. My mum used to do my hair until i was like 13 and she wouldnt do anything fancy either. Pony tail or half up half down style.

Yep lots of fancy clips just slide right out of my hair as its quite soft to.

My hair curls really well, almost to a point of over curled. But that lasts maybe an hour and then it hangs limp.

I knew hair cut has helped some what as i found a hair dresser who is awesome and understands my hair.

Do you colour your hair? Do you find colour doesnt stick to it?

Yes I do color my hair and it takes pretty well. HOWEVER :( when a friend of mine who is a hair stylist said she could give me a perm that would deffinatley work it was a real disapointment. She rolled it and put on the perm solution and we waited and waited and the end result....not even a wave:eek: She just kept saying "Oh my GOd oh my God" I thought my hair was falling out until she started laughing saying I've NEVER seen this before your hair didn't take at all! It was the second perm I had that didn't take. Before the one she gave me I had went to a salon and paid a decent amount for one (several years ago) and it left only minimum wave and that only lasted a day or two and then it was poker straight again! Oh well guess I was just meant to be plain jane in the hair department :o.

I have long, straight, think hair that doesn't hold curls. This cruise I think on port days I am going to keep i real simple and do a loose braid and a big floppy hat.

No idea what to do with my hair on formal nights I suck at up dos

My fool-proof 5 minute messy updo:

Pull hair from the front and above the ears into a high ponytail, then clip forward temporarily so you can do the under part. Pull the rest of your hair back into a medium-height pony and pull halfway out so you have a short loop and some spiky ends. Let the loop be on the bottom and arrange the spiky ends to come out the top and hang down the sides. Then unclip the hair from the top, pull that halfway out the same way. Tuck the small loop behind the spiky bottom ends and fix with a bobby pin. Arrange the top spiky ends, and voila.

My hair is slightly longer than shoulder length, layered, and with longish bangs. I like to do this with my hair still slightly damp, but you can always wet just the ends to make it easier to place them where you want. This is not an every-hair-in-place look, but it is quick and easy for dinner when you want to look a little dressier than normal. Plus it's nice and cool for hot weather. I do my bangs straight or curly depending on the humidity.

I use the small size pony-o's, in a color that matches my hair. I suggest a couple practice sessions.

Pull hair from the front and above the ears into a high ponytail, then clip forward temporarily so you can do the under part. Pull the rest of your hair back into a medium-height pony and pull halfway out so you have a short loop and some spiky ends. Let the loop be on the bottom and arrange the spiky ends to come out the top and hang down the sides. Then unclip the hair from the top, pull that halfway out the same way. Tuck the small loop behind the spiky bottom ends and fix with a bobby pin. Arrange the top spiky ends, and voila.

My hair is slightly longer than shoulder length, layered, and with longish bangs. I like to do this with my hair still slightly damp, but you can always wet just the ends to make it easier to place them where you want. This is not an every-hair-in-place look, but it is quick and easy for dinner when you want to look a little dressier than normal. Plus it's nice and cool for hot weather. I do my bangs straight or curly depending on the humidity.

I use the small size pony-o's, in a color that matches my hair. I suggest a couple practice sessions.

This sounds interesting. I will try it. Thank you :)

I found these two videos on youtube and they are both actually easy and manageable. I'm awful with hair too and I was able to do the curly hair one. :D

I tried these too and was able to do them. So cute to wear the curly hair one with a sundress during the day and the braid one for a more sleek look. Love it, thanks.

IS sounds intereting but i cant figure it out. IS there a picture or a you tube clip out there to see what it looks like

Archived