Freedom Versus Ruby Princess

We are a family of five (47, 44, 17, 15, 12). We have sailed on Royal Caribbean in the past and loved every minute. We are looking to take an Eastern Caribbean cruise over Thanksgiving. Both the Freedom of the Seas and the Ruby Princess have 7-day cruises that depart on November 20th. The Ruby Princess is a bit cheaper (for two adjoining balcony rooms) and makes an extra stop (Grand Turks). The other three stops are the same. Our children aren't much into all the kid stuff and would probably just rather lie by the pool when on the ship. Any thoughts or opinions as to which might be a better option for us? Which ship has nicer pools? Does the extra stop at Grand Turks make the Ruby the better cruise? I am torn since I am thinking that the Freedom might be the slightly nicer ship but the Ruby is a bit cheaper and makes the extra stop. Also, the Ruby embarks from Fort Lauderdale which is an easy port whereas the Freedom embarks from Port Canaveral (further from the closest airport). Thanks in advance for any help!

Well, I haven't been on the Freedom so it's not a fair comparison. But we just did Europe 12 nights on the Ruby and it was great. Also, one thing that Princess offers that is really nice is the ability to bring your own wine and beer onboard. We were able to bring a bottle from each stop back with us each day. Also, you can have dinner on your balcony--and I'm not talking about the Ultimate Balcony Dinner which costs you extra--on Lobster night we called the dining line and asked to have the entree from the dining room delivered to us. The operator of course said it couldn't be done, but then the manager called back and we had the entire dinner delivered. It was great--we set up a beautiful table for 2 on our aft balcony, with our beach towel table cloth too.

I'm sure whatever you choose you will love!

Hi

We are also a family of five and have been on the Ruby Princess and Liberty (sister of Freedom of the Seas). I think you will love either one. My kids did not participate very much in the teen activities but simply enjoyed time by the pool or on their balconies. The extra stop on the Ruby combined with the Movies Under the Stars were enjoyed by my teens/young adults, however they found the entertainment to be more appealing on the Liberty. You are right about the ports - Fort Lauderdale is really easy if you are flying in. In our opinion, they are equally beautiful ships. Either way, you will have a fabulous time.

We are a family of five (47, 44, 17, 15, 12). We have sailed on Royal Caribbean in the past and loved every minute. We are looking to take an Eastern Caribbean cruise over Thanksgiving. Both the Freedom of the Seas and the Ruby Princess have 7-day cruises that depart on November 20th. The Ruby Princess is a bit cheaper (for two adjoining balcony rooms) and makes an extra stop (Grand Turks). The other three stops are the same. Our children aren't much into all the kid stuff and would probably just rather lie by the pool when on the ship. Any thoughts or opinions as to which might be a better option for us? Which ship has nicer pools? Does the extra stop at Grand Turks make the Ruby the better cruise? I am torn since I am thinking that the Freedom might be the slightly nicer ship but the Ruby is a bit cheaper and makes the extra stop. Also, the Ruby embarks from Fort Lauderdale which is an easy port whereas the Freedom embarks from Port Canaveral (further from the closest airport). Thanks in advance for any help!

I've been on both (Liberty instead of Freedom, but they are sisters). Personally I LOVED the Freedom class, it's almost twice bigger than the Ruby and the activities/ammenities are more as well.

Ruby is a nice ship; but being in my late twenties, my partner and I found ourselves a bit bored in comparison to RCCL, where I always find something to do (especially at night)

Both ships have very nice pools; spacious. However, sailing with so many teens, I think they would like the H2O zone, ice skating, rock climbing, surfing/boogie boarding as well (even if they don't do it, watching is a blast)

The Ruby has the movie under the stars and the food was better (in my opinion). Grand Turk is a nice port as well if you are a beach person. The snorkling was good too.

Whichever you choose, have a nice cruise!!! they are both good ships, only the Freedom/Liberty could be considered AMAZING!

Archived