Military Discount

Can someone tell me about the military discounts that RCI offers? When we booked last week for a cruise in March 2012, they said that right now there weren't any military discounts for our particular cruise, but I should check the website frequently because RCI never knows when one is going to be offered. I don't know where on the website that it would be posted if one should be offered in the future. She said I could call back each week and she would check to see if one is available, but I thought it would be easier for me to check the website rather than calling all the time. When we went on Carnival in 2006, they just automatically gave us the military discount. I think it only amounted to a few hundred dollars, but that is a few hundred dollars we could spend while on our cruise. If anyone has any information about military discounts on RCI, I would love to know more about them. Thanks!

Can someone tell me about the military discounts that RCI offers? When we booked last week for a cruise in March 2012, they said that right now there weren't any military discounts for our particular cruise, but I should check the website frequently because RCI never knows when one is going to be offered. I don't know where on the website that it would be posted if one should be offered in the future. She said I could call back each week and she would check to see if one is available, but I thought it would be easier for me to check the website rather than calling all the time. When we went on Carnival in 2006, they just automatically gave us the military discount. I think it only amounted to a few hundred dollars, but that is a few hundred dollars we could spend while on our cruise. If anyone has any information about military discounts on RCI, I would love to know more about them. Thanks!

Go through the online booking process for your cruise and long before you get to finalize it you will see if a military discount is offered. If it is then call RCI or your TA to get it.

Go through the online booking process for your cruise and long before you get to finalize it you will see if a military discount is offered. If it is then call RCI or your TA to get it.

Actually, the "new" and "improved" Royal Caribbean website does NOT show discounts. That is one of the reasons that it stinks.

;) :D

Actually, the "new" and "improved" Royal Caribbean website does NOT show discounts. That is one of the reasons that it stinks.

;) :D

Sorry to disagree but when I choose the senior, military, police officer; or, Florida resident rate, discounts do show up when available. A small yellow triangle shows up in the upper right hand corner with "DEAL" printed inside it. It has done this since the establishment of the updated website. You must complete the Exclusive Savings section of the Your Cruise page for this to work. Currently Deals are showing up on the RCL Home Page with the DEAL label. The one problem I have found is that if you may be entitled to more than one discount unless you enter the discount categories one at a time, you don't know which discount you are getting. Hope this helps.

Sorry to disagree but when I choose the senior, military, police officer; or, Florida resident rate, discounts do show up when available. A small yellow triangle shows up in the upper right hand corner with "DEAL" printed inside it. It has done this since the establishment of the updated website. You must complete the Exclusive Savings section of the Your Cruise page for this to work. Currently Deals are showing up on the RCL Home Page with the DEAL label. The one problem I have found is that if you may be entitled to more than one discount unless you enter the discount categories one at a time, you don't know which discount you are getting. Hope this helps.

Are you saying that you see two prices, like the old website? The regular price and the resident/military/senior discount?

Because I never have. (and I have friends with CP who tell me that the discount is there - it's just not visible on the site. Just one price, the discounted price, is there. And you can't tell that it's a discounted price.)

What I do is go through the system first, getting the current rate without any discount in order to establish the current "price.

Then I back track a little, I check the box for over 55, checking the price, then I go back to check price of residency rate in case they are offering something for Michigan.

This is a little bit of extra work, but had I not done this, I would not have found my senior rate for my upcoming cruise on the Oasis.

Hope this helps.

Are you saying that you see two prices, like the old website? The regular price and the resident/military/senior discount?

Because I never have. (and I have friends with CP who tell me that the discount is there - it's just not visible on the site. Just one price, the discounted price, is there. And you can't tell that it's a discounted price.)

There is only one price, and when you see that "deal" triangle in the upper right corner of the pricing if you click on "view summary details" a pop up window will come up. In that window it will tell you the price of the cruise, the taxes and port fees, and at the bottom of that window it will explain that you have received a discount and need to be able to prove that you are entitled to that discount.

Have not seen too many military discounts on RC, but we have gotten them on Carnival and NCL. You need a military copy of DD214 as proof.

We get this discount (military, police, firefighter, EMT) all the time (more than senior and Florida resident). But this discount is normally offer much closer to the sail date. And often a higher level room may be cheaper for the discount and you can call and they will upgrade you to that level room.

Don't hold your breath, those discounts are very few and far between. We've only gotten a military discount ONCE on RCI. On Carnival we've gotten them everytime, except one. On Carnival, if it's offered on a cruise, it's always there for that particular cruise and cabin type. On RCI, it seems to pop up for a very short amount of time on very, very few cabins. It's a major downfall of RCI.

I tried for a Military discount and was told the same thing, keep checking. I called/emailed several times and there was never one, now we are past final payment so we are just out of luck I guess. Maybe we will try Carnival sometime to get it.

Have not seen too many military discounts on RC, but we have gotten them on Carnival and NCL. You need a military copy of DD214 as proof.

You only need your DD214 if you don't have a valid ID Card. Active Duty, Retirees, Reservists, etc. who have ID cards can use them.

Even if you are past final payment a military discount may pop up for a higher category and it may be the same price or cheaper than what you paid and you can upgrade to it. If it's more and you're willing to pay that price you can do that too for an upgrade. But not every sailing has a military discount.

We have been able to use the military discount on our last 2 cruises. But the discounts weren't offered until about 45-60 days out from the sailing date. Bottom line is, keep checking! Enjoy your cruise! :D

I have used military,senior or resident discount on many cruises and have never been asked for proof, in any category. Just show passport, credit card and set sail pass and I was good to go.

I have used military,senior or resident discount on many cruises and have never been asked for proof, in any category. Just show passport, credit card and set sail pass and I was good to go.

Well, your passport would substantiate a senior discount, so that's not suprising. BUT just because they've never asked you to prove something does not mean they can't ask you to in the future...it is best to be prepared to prove your claim :D I for one would hate to be standing on the dock watching my ship sail cause I couldn't prove I was entitled to a certain discount:eek:

They tell you to bring proof and they DO check sometimes. It's random, but you should go prepared. I know someone who has been asked a couple of times. On Carnival, you have to prove it at time of booking or shortly after. They check everyone.

There is a board on Cruise Critic dedicated to "Military Cruisers" which may be helpful:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=673

Royal has never been great with military discounts. I have called them several times over the years, and nothing. I put 2 requests out to them via the email system when booking previous cruises and receive back the standard "keep checking back for discounts!" reply that I am used to with the line.

The sad part is they give the appearance that they offer discounts by keeping the CHECK HERE option on all cruise selections, so unless someone wants to check prices with and without the box checked, they would not know there is no real discount. I use a TA to do the booking, but even she has never succeeded in a military discount with this line for us.

I really like the path that NCL chooses which is:

1) give a permanent code ( PGMIL )

2) publish the discounts well in advance on their website: http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=VeteransAdvantage

3) provide an updated list every few weeks

4) include every cruise (or so it appears)

5) make it an easy process and combineable with other offers

This week I looked to book a Carnival Dream cruise for March of 2012. With the discount, it was a little more then the saver rate, maybe $30 per person, but you would have the option to get 100% of the deposit back without a fee. This seems standard across the discussion boards for the line.

There are a few web sites which make searching for Military rate cruises very easy, Choosing VACATIONS TO GO on would be the really easy if you visited these web sites. You can select the line, and it shows all cruises available with the discounted rate.

No discount, no worries, but it is very much appreciated when they do.

They obviously have your address and know your age; therefore there is no need to prove that. As far as military/police/firefighter. We had to show our credentials/badge the first time we had booked using this discount. After that I'm pretty sure its in their records, as we hadn't had to show it again. My son had to show his also the first time he used it (different cruise) and never again.

When checking in online, it also states they if you show up without proof you will have to pay the difference. You check the box that you accept these terms. So don't forget your proof, whether or not people here tell you they are never asked. Don't be the test case. I always carry my creds.

Well, your passport would substantiate a senior discount, so that's not suprising. BUT just because they've never asked you to prove something does not mean they can't ask you to in the future...it is best to be prepared to prove your claim :D I for one would hate to be standing on the dock watching my ship sail cause I couldn't prove I was entitled to a certain discount:eek:

If you pay the additional amount that you received as a discount they will let you board. It could be a substantial amount.

I have always been asked for my retired AF ID card when I received a discount for that. Being 55 or older is a no brainer;).

Archived