Visa requirements to visit Australia.

zebra

We will only be in Australia for 2 days - Sydney and Melbourne, and as Americans we are aware we will need a visa. Can anyone who has also had short visits to Australia help me with the options that we have to secure this visa. Can this be done through HAL or is it better to apply online?? We do not want to pay the crazy fees to an "express visa organization".

I recently entered Australia by ship (my cruise started in Auckland, NZ). I was able to obtain my visa on-line, in advance of entering the country. It cost approximately $20 American, charged to my credit card. I understand my TA could have done this for me without charge.

This method can only be done before you enter Australia.

When I embarked the Volendam I was asked if I had my visa. Had I not obtained it, HAL would have done it for me, with an additional charge.

We are US citizens and have been to Australia several times. We've always simply gotten our visa online. It's not a passport stamped one but is in the computer record at the Australia destination airport. It's called an ETA -- Electronic Travel Authority and costs around $29 per person (has probably gone up since our last travel there a few years ago).

https://www.travelvisaaustralia.com/australia/visa/tourist_visa_australia.asp

I recently entered Australia by ship (my cruise started in Auckland, NZ). I was able to obtain my visa on-line, in advance of entering the country. It cost approximately $20 American, charged to my credit card. I understand my TA could have done this for me without charge.

This method can only be done before you enter Australia.

When I embarked the Volendam I was asked if I had my visa. Had I not obtained it, HAL would have done it for me, with an additional charge.

Hi Ruth, We are also cruising on the Volendam and will be flying to Auckland NZ and boarding the ship there. We will have the two Australian ports of call that I mentioned. After reading the Aus visa website I was confused - do we need the ETA ($20) or the transit visa (no charge).

Hi Ruth, We are also cruising on the Volendam and will be flying to Auckland NZ and boarding the ship there. We will have the two Australian ports of call that I mentioned. After reading the Aus visa website I was confused - do we need the ETA ($20) or the transit visa (no charge).

I don't know. I was staying on the ship for the next cruise. There were many more ports in Australia, then we headed to Indonesia and Singapore.

Or, it's possible I paid for something I didn't need. Wouldn't be the first time! :rolleyes:

You probably need to talk to a Travel Agent. But if your cruise starts in NZ and ends in Australia and you are flying home from Australia, you are probably going to need the visa.

Our cruise starts in NZ, visits two cities in Australia and many others south pacific ports and then ends in Vancouver, Canada.

Our cruise starts in NZ, visits two cities in Australia and many others south pacific ports and then ends in Vancouver, Canada.

Then call or e-mail your Travel agent and ask them to check with HAL to find out if a visa is needed or whether the ship gives you a blanket visa. It maybe that if you are on a ship tour, the blanket visa will do. It maybe that if you do your own thing, you will need a visa.

Our upcoming trip required a visa to Russia, but since we were on a ship sponsored excursion--no visa was needed. But we can't go wandering around on our own.

Then call or e-mail your Travel agent and ask them to check with HAL to find out if a visa is needed or whether the ship gives you a blanket visa. It maybe that if you are on a ship tour, the blanket visa will do. It maybe that if you do your own thing, you will need a visa.

There's no blanket visa here. OP will need a visa. It's only a matter of who applies for it, and what kind. Mine was $20 (the exchange rate fluctuates), and was issued in February '11.

You will need a visa if you are stopping anywhere in Australia.

Just google Australian visa and follow the directions - really easy, then you print off the visa and take it with you.

Last time I checked it was still $20 but may have gone up since then.

Thanks everyone - my Travel Agent told me today that she can get the visa's for us - no charge, just as Mary Ellen said. Thanks for everyone's input - it is only by asking these questions here on this board that one can find out ... for example, that this can be obtained for free!!

• 1 month later...

It is easy and relatively cheap to obtain your electronic visa for Australia by applying through their website at http://www.immi.gov.au/e_visa/

It is good for 6 months, and will allow for multiple entry. We did this for our 2009 Grand Asia & Pacific cruise and will be doing it again for this year's Grand Asia and Australia cruise aboard the HAL Amsterdam.

I seriously doubt they are free.... yout agent or the airline or ship, whoever is going to have to pay a fee.... they may come off as a public realtion feel good thing ...

But somewhere along the line that cost is going to get paid for by or through you....you just wont see it. And think what great service...I got it for free. Remember, heat rises, water runs down hill and "there is no free lunch"

Go on line. its easy and fast

It is easy and relatively cheap to obtain your electronic visa for Australia by applying through their website at http://www.immi.gov.au/e_visa/

It is good for 6 months, and will allow for multiple entry. We did this for our 2009 Grand Asia & Pacific cruise and will be doing it again for this year's Grand Asia and Australia cruise aboard the HAL Amsterdam.

I went to this website and see that a Transit Visa is free. I believe we will need a Transit Visa as we will be in Sydney for 12 hours and Melbourne for 12 hours.

Archived