Salmon bakes without pre-booking?

4cats4me

Is there any way to book a salmon bake without having to go through

the cruise lines? We're not absolutely sure if we wish to do this in

Juneau. We want to see what kind of mood we're in that day.

We're already going on a whale watch, but were reluctant to get

involved with a combo tour. We just want to see how we feel after

whale watching.

Very easy to do. Just go online. For example in Juneau there are two main companies that do Salmon bakes. Gold Creek Salmon Bake and Thane Ore house http://www.thaneorehouse.com/. Ore house is locally owned, but not sure about Gold Creek one anymore. Ore house is on the beach and the Gold Creek at the base of the mountain. I think between the two the Ore house is better. I ate there in July as a part of our high school reunion and the food was excellent! The fish was very fresh and this was for a large group. Both places are rustic. That is what Alaska is about. Other restaurant recommendations: The Hanger on the Wharf and Twisted Fish.

For fresh crab don't miss Tracy's Crab Shack on Franklin Ave.. It's a shack, literally but crab is day fresh. Boy do I miss the fresh seafood!!

Thank you, both, for the wonderful recommendations. We didn't like salmon 10 years ago when we first went to Juneau, and then we didn't

decide we liked salmon either until our last cruise to Alaska, so now

that we really like salmon, we'd like to go to the salmon bake after

doing our whale watch.

I wonder which salmon bake the cruise companies use? The Thane Ore

sounds like a winner!;)

Thank you, both, for the wonderful recommendations. We didn't like salmon 10 years ago when we first went to Juneau, and then we didn't

decide we liked salmon either until our last cruise to Alaska, so now

that we really like salmon, we'd like to go to the salmon bake after

doing our whale watch.

I wonder which salmon bake the cruise companies use? The Thane Ore

sounds like a winner!;)

The cruiselines use Gold Creek, which, if you are on a whale watch, will have you an hour in transit, since you go right back out in the same direction.

I highly recommend Thane Ore House. Superb salmon. :)

Did the "salmon bake combo" in Juneau once and it was pretty disappointing. Cafeteria-like food, typical of tour group meals. (The BBQ Lunch at Caribou Crossing out of Skagway was mediocre at best, also.) Now we steer clear of any meal combo excursions if possible. If you find spare time for a local restaurant meal at one of the Alaskan port stops, go for it. (We haven't managed it yet.) But if you have an extra day or two in Seattle, either before or after the cruise, the Copper Creek Salmon at Anthony's Bell St Diner (on the waterfront) is cedar planked and absolutely wonderful. We try to get there every time we do the Alaska cruise( 4 so far.)

Archived