My world just shifted

Angelica1104

Isn't Port Canaveral where Disney World is?

It's close...about a 40-45 minute drive one way to Orlando.

I don't think I'd want to spend a day of my cruise going to Disney World. (How would I stretch every last penny's worth of entrance fee, if I had to be back on the ship at a certain time)?

GP

This person just posted they just came back from a first time RCL 9 day cruise, Explorer OTS I think, is this the one you booked. They promise they are writing a review and loved the cruise.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1395829

I think they are booked on the Enchantment of the Seas as they said they were cruising from Baltimore. Explorer leaves from Cape Liberty in Bayonne NJ.

I wonder what week they cruised and how much they paid if it was cheaper than CCL.

I January and February of 2012 I see balconies for under $600pp.

I'd like to knw since it sounds like something we would like to do as we like RCI better than CCL but but bottom line always gets us on CCL.

Bill

Those of us in the middle of the country face this all the time. It cost us nearly an extra $1000 for 2 of us to get to Orlando and spend the night- and we had no choice since flying in the day of the cruise was basically impossible.

Same here for Phoenix. West coast ships are always limited in number and variety of cruises. Airfare to Galveston, Mobile or Miami are always high for us. Welcome to our world.

It is costing me MORE in airfair to/from Miami then it is for my 7 night cruise in September!!

The cost of flying is really nasty these days isn't it?? The worst part is that flying absolutely sucks...you get to the airport hours before you are scheduled to leave...have a very good chance that your flight will not leave on schedule (IF it leaves at all) and then get assaulted with baggage fees on top of the horrid fare you paid.

Then sit uncomfortably for hours on the plane.

I hate it. :(

That is really awful! We live about 3 and a half hours from Baltimore, 6 hrs from New York, 7 hours from Norfolk, so we do try to drive when we can

:) I would drive if I were you as well....we sometimes choose cruises that leave from NY for this reason, but our winter cruises always have to include air plus one or two days pre cruise stay at a hotel.

That is really awful! We live about 3 and a half hours from Baltimore, 6 hrs from New York, 7 hours from Norfolk, so we do try to drive when we can

This has me a bit puzzled... I live in NJ, where I'm about 1.5 hours from NY, and 2 hours from Baltimore. And we're about 5.5 hours from Norfolk. How can you be only one hour farther from Norfolk than you are from NY? I should mention that I've always been a bit geographically impaired... :)

We live in VA and are cruising out of Port Everglades. We looked into flying and driving. Realistically, with the way flights go, we would have to fly Saturday for a Sunday cruise, to be on the safe side. By the time we had base fare, plus baggage fees PLUS oversized luggage PlUS drive time to and from airport PLUS security with a small child......it is cheaper and we dare say EASIER to just drive the 14 hours! We will take shifts driving, have a kid who loves to ride and watch her DVDs and do puzzles, so we think it works best for us. We also found a hotel that included a breakfast, shuttle and the whole week's worth of parking for $160 a night with all taxes and fees. (Hilton Garden Inn, Dania FL)

It is costing me MORE in airfair to/from Miami then it is for my 7 night cruise in September!!

That is why we don't cruise too often. Our first was in 2008, hoping to book another for March 2012. (would have liked to book sooner, but circumstances wouldn't allow it)

We will book a balcony, I can't justify spending more for a 6 hour flight than a 7 day cruise!!!

This has me a bit puzzled... I live in NJ, where I'm about 1.5 hours from NY, and 2 hours from Baltimore. And we're about 5.5 hours from Norfolk. How can you be only one hour farther from Norfolk than you are from NY? I should mention that I've always been a bit geographically impaired... :)

I assume they live in western VA or WV. I am between Baltimore and DC and about 4 hours from NYC, 5 from Norfolk. If they live in the Shenandoah region, that would be around the right time they quoted to drive to those ports.

I assume they live in western VA or WV. I am between Baltimore and DC and about 4 hours from NYC, 5 from Norfolk. If they live in the Shenandoah region, that would be around the right time they quoted to drive to those ports.

Used to live in Baltimore and was about to state the obvious also.

Bill

I think this is one reason why ports like Galveston are so successful. There is a large demographic (yes bubbas too) from which to choose who can drive to the port.

I should think there may be more longer cruises out of east cost departure ports because they can draw people who can pay more for the longer trip since thy do not have to spring from air fare.

Air costs and policies are absurd so we just drive to most ports. Rather drive 900 plus miles than to be forced to put up with our airlines.

Amen!! (and we have free airfare...that is how much I hate flying these days)

Air costs and policies are absurd so we just drive to most ports. Rather drive 900 plus miles than to be forced to put up with our airlines.

If you mean 900 miles roundtrip, we might consider doing it ourselves.

But 900 miles each way (minimum from NJ to say Tampa) wouldn't make sense for our next cruise in December.

1800 miles @ 25 MPG = 72 Gals x $5 = $ 360 fuel.

3 hotel nights x $ 75 = $ 225 (my drive limit is 500 miles/day).

Food, drink = $ 100.

Tolls = $ 50 ?

Car wear & tear = $ 100 ?

Safety on road vs air = ??

Total cost to us 360 + 225 + 50 + 100 = $ 735.

Airfare purchased recently = $ 700 for 2 roundtrip. And no extra vacation days required.

Obviously, had no choice but airfare. Only difference is that last Florida airfare was about $ 400 total, or $300 less. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.......

I think they are booked on the Enchantment of the Seas as they said they were cruising from Baltimore. Explorer leaves from Cape Liberty in Bayonne NJ.

I wonder what week they cruised and how much they paid if it was cheaper than CCL.

I January and February of 2012 I see balconies for under $600pp.

I'd like to knw since it sounds like something we would like to do as we like RCI better than CCL but but bottom line always gets us on CCL.

Bill

We have always paid less per day on Royal/Celebrity than Carnival even out of Baltimore. Unfortunately now that Celebrity pulled out, there is less competition so prices have gone up a bit.

Leaving out of Baltimore in the winter isn't bad because Enchantment has the indoor Solarium area with a heated pool and 2 hot tubs.

We have loved all three lines. Carnival for when we sail with the kids, Royal when we sail with our adult friends and Celebrity when it's just DH and I. It's all good. :D

All the people that complain about airfare ..and are within 10 hrs to a port I don't feel sorry for you at all... so count your self lucky... not everyone has the opportunity to drive :( I just feel it is a greediness on those that are close to port wanting more... hey please remember you aren't the only ones that cruise and take vacations...;)

These are the kind of threads that realy make me thankful that we live where we do. We have so many departure ports avalible within easy driving distance. Mobile (For now) is in our back yard, New Orleans is 2 hours, Galveston is about 9 hours, Tampa and Port Canveral are 7-8 hours. Even Miami and Port Everglades are probably within our "tolerance level" for driving.

With all the post 9/11 security hassles, new baggage fees and flight delay concerns, It's great to be able to drive. It just reduces the overall stress level. Also for a family of 4, driving is much cheaper as well, particularly if you choose a hotel (we always drive in at least the day before) that includes parking for the duration and a shuttle to the port.

All the people that complain about airfare ..and are within 10 hrs to a port I don't feel sorry for you at all... so count your self lucky... not everyone has the opportunity to drive :( I just feel it is a greediness on those that are close to port wanting more... hey please remember you aren't the only ones that cruise and take vacations...;)

Not sure where you are in Ontario but we are from the Niagara area and it's only 8 hours from there to Baltimore. It's a great port!

Archived