$71 for 24 bottles of water on RCL !!! WTH!

I've found that the water from the bathroom faucet on RCI ships is heavily chlorinated - it's most obvious after re-filling a water bottle. For some reason it's not as bad from the water dispensers in the eateries- Windjammer or Promenade Cafe, so that's where I do my refilling (using a glass so as not to contaminate the faucet).

I've noticed the chlorine smell in my water bottle when I refill it in my cabin, too. So I pour the melted ice from the ice bucket into my water bottle, and I go up to the Windjammer and use a glass to fill my bottle. I have a wide-mouth Nalgene bottle - easier to fill without spilling.

BTW, the RCCL water package is for 1 liter bottles of Evian. I took a quick peek at Amazon.com and a 6-pack of 1 liter bottles sells for $19.99. So four of them (24 bottles) would be... $79.96.

We always bring water on all cruises. Just put a luggage tag on your case of water and it will get to you no problem.

Not on my March 27 Voyager OTS. My unopened gallon of water was confiscated (returned the last full day). For some reason on this sailing, no water or soft drinks were allowed to be carried on.

...So I pour the melted ice from the ice bucket into my water bottle....

If you google 'hotel ice buckets' you will never do that again. I have witnessed terrible things being done to ice buckets.

Also, when the stewards refill them, they put them all on a cart and then redistribute them, so you will get a random one back.

Most definitely, beware.

The water on the cruise ships is as good as bottled water. (reverse osmosis / desalination) Most bottled water will have minerals added back into it after the filtration process to give it a distinct "taste or flavor". In any water supply system they have to worry about bacteria growing in the pipes. Basically if water sits stagnant (still) in the pipes bacteria will begin to grow. On the cruise ship just like your municiple water system at home they add chlorine to kill anything that could grow in the water. If you are tasting chlorine in the water try letting the faucet run for a couple minutes to flush the line. Or go to a faucet elsewhere that gets more use and try it there. You could use a carbon filter to remove the chlorine taste and odor from the water. Just make sure if you reuse a water bottle for the duration of your cruise, that you wash it out, use soap if you can daily. Let it dry out overnight, start with fresh water every day.

If you google 'hotel ice buckets' you will never do that again. I have witnessed terrible things being done to ice buckets.

Also, when the stewards refill them, they put them all on a cart and then redistribute them, so you will get a random one back.

Most definitely, beware.

Yeah, there is no way in H E double hockey sticks that I would use anything that touches the ice bucket in the room, same with the glasses provided :eek: :eek:

###

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, there is no way in H E double hockey sticks that I would use anything that touches the ice bucket in the room, same with the glasses provided :eek: :eek:

###

Well then what do you do when you go to a restaurant? Surely the glasses they serve your drink in were used previously by someone else.

I can imagine them all sitting around a big conference table, and someone makes a crazy $$ proposition, and Joe from Accounting yells out, "Why not?!!" Then AG orders more pizza and another round of shrimp cocktails for the table.

....and then they discuss how they can get more gelatin into the "cheese"cake without anyone noticing...

I hear that the bottled water they confiscate at the pier they turn around and sell to unsuspecting cruisers. Isn't that against the law?

First, where did you hear this? Is it from a legitimate source?

Second, what law would you think it violates?

[quote name='Woo Hoo']I hear that the bottled water they confiscate at the pier they turn around and sell to unsuspecting cruisers. Isn't that against the law?[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]That wouldn't surprise me in the least, given the fact that flats of water confiscated at the pier are not returned (especially in Galveston). Mine wasn't; a 35-pack of spring water.
[/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS]
If they are reselling it, how do they know that it wasn't tampered with? Aren't they putting passengers at risk by doing this?

[/FONT]

[quote name='bellybutton530'][FONT=Comic Sans MS]That wouldn't surprise me in the least, given the fact that flats of water confiscated at the pier are not returned (especially in Galveston). Mine wasn't; a 35-pack of spring water.
[/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS]
If they are reselling it, how do they know that it wasn't tampered with? Aren't they putting passengers at risk by doing this?

[/FONT][/quote]

Has anyone actually seen bottled water being sold near the ship, out on the sidewalk somewhere? I never have.

[quote name='Woo Hoo']I hear that the bottled water they confiscate at the pier they turn around and sell to unsuspecting cruisers. Isn't that against the law?[/QUOTE]
I don't know where you heard this but I can guarantee on US based itineraries at least, that isnt the case. All cruises ships visiting US ports are subject to inspection by the CDC under the Vessel Sanitation
Program.
The inspections are done, among other reasons, to ensure the safe handling of all food and drink served to guests on board.
The small amount of water that's confiscated would make up such a tiny fraction of the bottled water needed for each sailing that it would't be worth the risk to even think about reselling the confiscated bottles.
If ever there was a serious illness on board the cruise line would need to account for the origins of every piece of food and every drop of liquid that has been served to the guests. This includes making available for inspection things like purchase orders or delivery manifests so everything can be
accounted for and tracked back to an
outside supplier if necessary.
Without proper paperwork for the items served to the guests the cruise line puts itself at risk for not only fines by the inspecting agencies but also financial liability if ever they were taken to court because someone got sick from something they consumed while on board.
The paltry financial gain realized by reselling confiscated items does not offset the risk associated with doing so. There is absolutely no way that any of the confiscated items will ever be sold to the guests. It isn't worth the risk.

[quote name='PhoenixCruiser']Can you vacation at your local grocery store? :p No one is forcing you to buy the package, you can always drink the tap water :eek:

###[/quote]
Why yes I do often vacation at the market - well at least I spend enough money there to go on a vacation!!!!!

When paying $4 a bottle for Evian, just think about the results of this Good Morning America blind taste test:

#1: New York City Tap Water: received 45% of the vote
#2: Poland Spring: received 24% of the vote
#3: O-2, Oxygenated Water: received 19% of the vote
#4: Evian: received 12% of the vote

Archived