Splendour of the Seas Photos (2/26 cruise)

We have been back for almost a week from our cruise and we can't wait to go again. We had a great time on the Splendour of the Seas (Grand Cayman-Stingray City, Costa Maya-Mahahual, Belize-cave tubing & Cozumel-Paradise Beach). I've uploaded some photos of the ship and ports if anyone is interested. If you have any questions about the ship/ports, post here or send me an email from the link on the website. Right now we just have photos on the site but we're in the process of putting our review/journal so check back in a few days.

http://cruising.thestansfields.com/ (click on the 'Splendour of the Seas' link under photos.)

2fromtn, what fantastic pictures! I especially like the fact that you are a "rebel" and work jeans into the dining room!

What excursion company did you use in Grand Cayman. You sure were pampered!

We leave in 2 weeks and your pictures have made me smile even bigger!

Thanks!

Michelle

Actually the "rebel" act was because my mother (who is an avid cruiser) said I shouldn't wear jeans into the dinining room. I took this photo when we were exploring the boat in Tampa but I actually did wear them to dinner on the first & last night and didn't at all feel out of place.

In Grand Cayman, we did our tour with NativeWay. It was $30 for about 1/2 hour at Stingray City, 1/2 hour at Coral Gardens (very close to Stingray City) and about 1 hour total travel time in the boat/van. We had 6 people total in our group with the cruise ship excursions were packed like cattle.

Enjoy your trip, you will love it!

Steve

Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!! You just made my decision for me! What beautiful pictures. We were contemplaiting the Brilliance in April or the Splendour in January. I will be calling the TA on Monday to book our rooms!

It looks like you had a wonderful time! Hope you had a safe journey and thank you for sharing your pictures!

Dawn

Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!! You just made my decision for me! What beautiful pictures. We were contemplaiting the Brilliance in April or the Splendour in January. I will be calling the TA on Monday to book our rooms!

It looks like you had a wonderful time! Hope you had a safe journey and thank you for sharing your pictures!

Dawn

I don't think you will be disappointed. Check back in a day or two and I'll be posting our journal of things we did. This was our first cruise so we didn't quite know what to expect. Everything from the food to the staff was top notch.

I will check back and read all about the wonderful things you did - I hope you will post more info about the condition of the ship etc.

The horrible thing about being hooked on cruising is that you wish the days away until the next time you can holiday - at that rate I will be an old woman in no time:D

Thanks again for sharing - will definately check back to see your journal!

Dawn

Thank you so much Steve for the photo album. We are visiting some of the same ports when we go in a couple of months. Did you enjoy Paradise Beach? I have read the beach is really clean with lots of lounge chairs and umbrellas. Would you suggest getting there ASAP after arriving in port or anytime will get you a chair? We are doing the Stingray tour too...I didn't realize until seeing your photos just how big they really are. I've been anxious to go, but every time I see new photos I become REALLY anxious. Looks like you had a fantastic time. The Splendour looks really beautiful too.

Thank you so much Steve for the photo album. We are visiting some of the same ports when we go in a couple of months. Did you enjoy Paradise Beach? I have read the beach is really clean with lots of lounge chairs and umbrellas. Would you suggest getting there ASAP after arriving in port or anytime will get you a chair? We are doing the Stingray tour too...I didn't realize until seeing your photos just how big they really are. I've been anxious to go, but every time I see new photos I become REALLY anxious. Looks like you had a fantastic time. The Splendour looks really beautiful too.

We loved Paradise Beach. We took our time that morning getting off the boat. We left around 9:30 or so. Our boat was docked at the International Pier and it is a $12.00 taxi ride to Paradise Beach. Try to find someone so share the cab as it is $12 per taxi. When we got there around 10:00, there were still plenty of lounge chairs. We had 8 ships in port that day which I think is pretty much the norm. The beach was clean and the staff was friendly. They offered us a wrist band for $5.00 which would give you access to snorkel equip, kid's equip, etc. but we declined as we had our own snorkel stuff. Compared to the Cayman's this was not even close but there still were plenty of fish to see. We had lunch there and it seemed fairly reasonably priced ($5 - $10).

You'll love the Stingrays and they really are gentle. My wife even enjoyed them and she was the one who before the trip said "there's a reason why they call them STINGrays".

Have fun!

Thanks for sharing your pictures, Steve! What kind of camera did you use for taking the pictures while in the cave in Belize? We are debating getting an underwater casing for our digital or just getting a disposable with flash.

Was fun to see all of your pictures since we have all of the same things planned in ports as you did, but with different independents, plus are going horseback riding on the beach in Costa Maya.

Can't wait to read your journal!

Sandy

Thanks for sharing your pictures, Steve! What kind of camera did you use for taking the pictures while in the cave in Belize? We are debating getting an underwater casing for our digital or just getting a disposable with flash.

Was fun to see all of your pictures since we have all of the same things planned in ports as you did, but with different independents, plus are going horseback riding on the beach in Costa Maya.

Can't wait to read your journal!

Sandy

I have an Olympus 4MP digital camera. I bought a waterproof camera bag for about $20 and kept it in the camera bag till we got situated on the tubes. Then when we were in the caves, I took it out of the bag. I tried to take pictures from inside the bag but they didn't turn out too good. I had the same question as you about getting an underwater casing but they were so expensive so I went with the camera bag. There are a few pictures taken underwater with it on our website from the Cayman Islands. I'm sure the camera casing would work better but the camera bag did the trick for what we needed.

Have fun!

Steve, Thank you so much for posting your geat pics. We are on Splendour on 4/9. We sailed her through the Panama Canal a few years ago, but had forgotten what a pretty ship she is. Looks like you had a great time. We can't wait! Thanks again!!

Great pictures! THanks for sharing! We are headed out for our first cruise on the Mariner in April and will be going to some of the same ports. My 7 year old and I enjoyed seeing the stingray pictures and the Paradise Beach ones as those are two of the excursions we have chosen. smile.gif Where in TN are you from? We live in Clarksville. THanks again!!

Lori in TN

Mariner 4/24/05

Hey, thank you so VERY much for all the pix - this will be my very first cruise and my sweetie's second. I have been busy obsessing over formalwear for the two formal nights, and now I see I can just relax and wear "something nice" from the closet. I was a bit hesitant about the cave tubing and that's looks simply great fun. We are SO looking forward to this cruise -thanks again !

Debby

P.S. Jim is looking forward to also reading your journal.

Splendour of the Seas 4/23/05

Great pictures! THanks for sharing! We are headed out for our first cruise on the Mariner in April and will be going to some of the same ports. My 7 year old and I enjoyed seeing the stingray pictures and the Paradise Beach ones as those are two of the excursions we have chosen. smile.gif Where in TN are you from? We live in Clarksville. THanks again!!

Lori in TN

Mariner 4/24/05

We live in Oak Ridge by Knoxville. I think your 7 year old will enjoy the stingrays, they are very gentle. Be careful with feeding the stingrays. They give you some squid to feed them and I didn't get my finger out of the way quick enough and it sort of sucks your finger. They don't have teeth but they do have quite a suction. It was just slightly uncomfortable for a minute or so.

Steve

Hey, thank you so VERY much for all the pix - this will be my very first cruise and my sweetie's second. I have been busy obsessing over formalwear for the two formal nights, and now I see I can just relax and wear "something nice" from the closet. I was a bit hesitant about the cave tubing and that's looks simply great fun. We are SO looking forward to this cruise -thanks again !

Debby

P.S. Jim is looking forward to also reading your journal.

Splendour of the Seas 4/23/05

My wife made me go out and buy a nice black suit for the cruise but I could have gotten away with wearing one of my existing ones. I stressed on the formalwear as well. Here's my observations: the first night is anything goes because some people still may not have received their luggage (I wore jeans and tennis shoes). The two formal nights I saw most men in dark suits and ties. I would say there was about 10% of the men in Tux's. There was one smart casual night and for that I brought a sports coat and nice shirt. I felt over dressed with this as most of the men had on tropical shirts and nice pants. The other nights were casual nights and that was basically tropical shirts and nice pants. Have fun!

Steve

I have a clock question: Did the ship change its clocks to local time when at the different ports?

Thanks!

Michelle

Yes, the ship changed it's clocks to CST when going from Grand Cayman to Costa Maya and then changed back to EST when going from Cozumel to Tampa.

Thanks for the pictures and trip report. I look forward to reading the rest. We are leaving this Sat 3/19 for Tampa and our First cruise on the Splendour. Your information was very helpful to both my hubbie and I. We are very excited and hope we have as good a time as the two of you. :)

Leftyrn

Archived