Image Stabalization turned off when camera mounted on monopod?

I believe IS on or off on a tripod or monopod is dependent on your camera brand and lens. As I understand it with Canon glass, newer lens can detect a tripod, older lens cannot. On those lens with a very solid tripod, the IS system will try to find motion where there isn’t any, and the result will be a slightly blurred image as the IS shifts around. A monopod is a different story. There will still be some motion, and the IS can do its job, so I would leave it on.

Larry

IMHO there is no hard and fast rule, on a monopod where you are shooting really long lens and don't have the best support IS / VR makes sense if your shutter speed is slower than the 1/focal length rule. In general VR/IS is great but turn it off if you don't need it. I almost always shoot with VR off when the highest performance is required, take power and slows down focus ever so slightly

On your setup if shooting faster than 1/1000 I'd not use VR/IS, below 1/500 I'd use VR / IS even on a monpod.

I read that one should turn the IS off when the camera is mounted on a tripod. Does the same hold true for a monopod? (Canon 40D with 100 - 400mm)

Thank you,

Ollie

As chipmaster said, there's no firm rule. If your equipment is stable with no movement, IS or whatever it's called can be subject to false sensor readings and cause blurring. If you are on a tripod or monopod and there is still vibration present from wind or any other source, IS will still help.

Dave

With my 50D and 100-400 I leave the IS on pretty much all the time. I have never turned it off when on a mono pod. I need all the help I can get so I keep those magic elves inside the lens working as much as possible.

Archived