Yellow Fever Immunization/VISA

GrammieK

Really looking forward to my trip down under in Feb 2012. After reading the Qantas website, it seems that Yellow Fever Immunization is recommended. Is this true or did misread (again!).

Also, the cruise company wants to charge me $49 each for a visa, on line with the Australian govt it is $20, but I have read that travel agents can apply for free? Also, how long is the visa good for. Hoped to get it soon so there is one less thing to worry about, but don't know if it expires. As always, I appreciate the information I get here.

Thanks,

Kathie

I do not know about the yellow fever part of your question but with regard to the Visa it is really simply and quick to do it yourself on line. I got a response and the visa within 24 hours. Just go to australian embassy web site, click on tourist Visas and just answer the questions. You would have to give the same information to your travel agent anyway so you may as well do it yourself and save some money.:)

Really looking forward to my trip down under in Feb 2012. After reading the Qantas website, it seems that Yellow Fever Immunization is recommended. Is this true or did misread (again!).

Also, the cruise company wants to charge me $49 each for a visa, on line with the Australian govt it is $20, but I have read that travel agents can apply for free? Also, how long is the visa good for. Hoped to get it soon so there is one less thing to worry about, but don't know if it expires. As always, I appreciate the information I get here.

Thanks,

Kathie

For USA citizens traveling to Australia you just need an ETA. ETA stands for Electronic Travel Authority. It is good for 1 year from the time you get it. Here is the web site. You apply for it on line (have your passport in front of you when you fill out the on line form) and you pay by credit card and you will get the ETA number. It's about $18.00 or $19.00 per ETA.

Here is the link to the site.

http://www.eta.immi.gov.au/

You do not need a yellow fever vaccination to visit there unless you've previously on your trip been to some country where Yellow Fever is some type of issue that Australia would be concerned about. Check the web site again to be sure you are reading it correctly and if it shows this have your TA contact Qantas or contact them yourself. It doesn't make sense to me.

Keith

As you fly in or arrive by Sea the Australian Immigration form asks what countries you have been in within the last few weeks . If you answer Bolivia, some other South American or Asian countries that have outbreaks of Yellow Fever you will be asked to provide proof of Yellow Fever vaccination .

Straight from USA no problems, make sure you obtain your ETSA on kline before departure from USA as explained in earlier post by others.

Do you know if Canadians need a visa for Australia or New Zealand?

For Australia, yes. Please see the details in the earlier posts. Residents of all countries except NZ need an ETA to visit Australia.

Cheers,

Steve.

Archived